Posted September 17, 2014
Throughout the past nine years in Austin ISD, I have served as a 5th grade Bilingual teacher, a Physical Education teacher and now I serve as an Adapted PE teacher helping students with disabilities. I have served over 15 AISD campuses in some capacity. I just started providing services to Blackshear Elementary this year, and I must say I'm extremely impressed with this campus! Since my arrival, I have noticed that it is a friendly, warm, structured (in a good way), engaging, and creative campus. Teachers, and staff go above and beyond to provide families and students with a supportive, helpful, positive learning environment. I have felt extremely welcome at this campus, and the administration obviously takes pride in their school. I highly recommend this campus.

Blackshear Elementary School 2

Posted April 14, 2014
My son has been bullied by a teacher and the administration does nothing except make excuses for the teacher. It is a very gloomy atmosphere for kids, and the teachers are all stern and unfriendly. Most of the work is testing and drudgery. No teacher ever smiles or shows any sign of life. It is not a happy place for young children.

Posted November 12, 2013
Best students to work with because of the outstanding teachers and administrators. I can't say enough about the office staff who always welcome everyone with an open arms and have a pleasant countenance when you walk into the office. The custodial staff are exceptionaI and they keep the school very clean. I feel comfortable with this school environment that I can call Blackshear Elementary school is my home away from home. The parents and volunteers from different organizations are wonderful and we are very supportive of each other as we work with our students. I can't ask for a better place to work. Everyone looks forward to the Friday Enrichment to do something fun and engaging where teachers and volunteers teach classes such as: Bike Riding, Yoga, Gardening, etc.... The success of Blackshear is a team effort I feel and I'm proud to be in a winning team!!!

Posted November 02, 2013
Lo que a mi me gusta es que la especialista de padres siempre esta muy atenta e involucrada con los padres acerca de la educacion de nuestros estudiantes. Tambien me parece ser muy bien el programa de yellowjackets es algo excelente para mantener a los estudiantes activos. Soy madre de cuarto grado.

Posted October 31, 2013
A mi me gusta todo de la escuela. Estoy bien contenta por que tengo mucho apoyo de los maestros, de la directora y todos son bien amables. Han sido bien buenos con mis hijos y les doy las gracias. Mama de estudiante en tercer grado.

Posted October 30, 2013
Blackshear Elementary is a special neighborhood school with caring teachers and staff, who are very respectful of their students, and each other. The principal knows all of the students, and expects the best from each of them. But the first thing you will notice when you enter the school is how spotless it is kept. Everyone involved works hard to make Blackshear a safe, welcoming place for the students to succeed.

Posted October 29, 2013
Blackshear... I love it! The school has a great atmosphere. I am totally impressed with the staff s dedication to their teaching and to their students. Fridays are especially an awesome thing to watch. Teachers as well as other community people offer courses that give our students the opportunity participate in variety of enrichment activities. It is noticeably the highlight of the week for both students and staff. The students have the opportunity to develop their creative processes, learn/practice a skill, nurture a talent as well as socialize in a multiage grouping. Teachers and/or volunteers offer classes such as athletics, bike riding, drama, learning to play an instrument, girl and boy scouts etc. It s a great way to end the week and a positive way to begin the weekend.

Posted October 28, 2013
Blackshear Elementary is a wonderful school. The administration cares about the students, staff, and the community. The staff is amazing and really care about the students overall success. Lots of wonderful things are happening at Blackshear Elementary and I am happy to work at such a great school.

Posted October 27, 2013
This school has made such wonderful strides to really teach the whole child in the last three years. This year nearly all the teachers are teaching weekly social emotional learning lessons to prepare students to be calm and compassionate adults. The teachers and administration care deeply about the students and it shows in all there interactions. Last year the school had afternoon enrichment every Friday where the students got to pick a course such as gardening, dance, yoga, etc. What a wonderful idea!

Posted October 27, 2013
Blackshear YellowJackets; Together we Educate, Enrich, and Exercise to Excel! At Blackshear Elementary, we strive to build a strong educational foundation for all of our students to establish immediate and future academic success. Teaching and learning occurs with engaging strategies and practice, including drama-based instructional strategies, to ensure mastery of all knowledge presented at the primary grades. Although we have high core academic expectations, every Blackshear student is afforded the opportunity to participate in weekly self-selected enrichment options varying from yoga, technology, or a focus on the fine arts. Additionally, all Blackshear staff and students are provided time for organized exercise to further personal wellness. Our school-wide success is a result of the collaborative effort amongst students, staff, parents, and community members. Together we will excel!

Blackshear Elementary School
1712 East 11th Street, Austin, TX  78702
(512) 414-2021
Last modified Blackshear Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Blackshear Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top