Brentwood Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 556 students

Posted August 14, 2014

Brentwood has been incredible for both of my boys. My older son, going into 4th grade, has had the most fantastic teachers every single year. He is challenged by Aspbergers, but has had love and support in the regular ed classroom and with his "support system" in speech and social skills therapies. My younger son, going into 2nd grade, has also had amazing teachers the past 3 years. It is truly a community school, with great parent participation, loving staff, and highly skilled, dedicated teachers. Cannot say enough good things.

Posted June 6, 2014

Brentwood is AMAZING! We have no complaints whatsoever. Our son is in the special ed program for speech and social skills, and the teachers and programs at Brentwood have been amazing. It is also such a wonderful environment: positive, environmentally conscience, fun-- we love it! There are also gardens tended by different classes all around the school.

Posted February 14, 2014

I have one in kinder here. The teachers have always been extremely respectful and helpful. My first encounter with the lunch lady wasn't great but I get it... You don't like what you're doing. I do not agree with one of the other reviews. I feel my child should have a fun transition into 'big kid' school. My child is 6 and reads to the class when they have time. Prefers chapter books to anything else. We have nightly homework and she shows an ability to figure out real world math problems. The school is doing something right. Kindergarten isn't the time to begin studying for your SATs. Brentwood elementary is fantastic!

Posted January 13, 2014

Because we are a blended family, we have a child in Leander ISD, and one at Brentwood, only 1 year apart. The academics at Brentwood are WAY behind. Kindergarten is more like a daycare. The rooms are full of toys, playsets, etc.. I would image the parents giving good reviews for academics here have no idea what it's like at a good school. The kindergarteners in Leander ISD are writing stories, reading, doing real math problems, while our son at Brentwood is still working on writing his numbers 1-20. He doesn't read - AT ALL, has not been taught any phonics, no math skills. They're not learning handwriting, etc... Oh, but at Christmas, the kids did a lot of gift wrapping! I guess this was a fine motor skill activity, but that's pre-school. In Leander, they do that type of stuff, but it's tied to a lesson, like patterns, etc.. And safety - no way! They utilize the public park next door for a play area. There are 27 registered sex offenders within one mile of this school and they have the kids playing in a public park that's not fenced in. We've had notices this year for both Pertussis and Bed Bugs.

Posted November 19, 2013

We love this school. My oldest son spent six years here, and my youngest in in second grade. The single best thing about this school is the teachers. They care. A LOT. It's a warm, welcoming, diverse, artsy school where kids can figure out who they are in a safe environment. Other things I love about this school: * Academics are solid. Math, reading and writing are emphasized at an early age. Students who are struggling receive extra support. Students who are excelling are given greater challenges. * Tribe system. Instead of desks, classrooms have tables. Students work on group projects, as well as individual assignments. Students are encouraged to learn from and teach each other. * Inclusion: The school has several special education departments where the students receive support. But most of the time, students with special needs work with their peers. This helps all the students appreciate the values of compassion and understanding. * The neighborhood. Everyone gets along! When we disagree we act like adults and fix problems together. Love love love this school.

Posted October 8, 2013

Brentwood is a great neighborhood school with excellent parental involvement and diversity. The teachers are all very engaged and act as advocates for the kiddos. I applaud them for trying so hard in the face of Texas school defunding. In first grade my son's teacher helped ID a learning disability and started the documentation process, in second grade my son's teacher was a great advocate for him and helped move him along the onerous process of getting him the support he needs, and now his third grade teacher is focused on helping him reach goals that will help him succeed. I love that! My one complaint is that it's so hard to get the school (and district) to invest in children with LD. I know it's related to money, so I can't entirely blame my school's administration, which has also been supportive within the restrictions imposed by the district and ultimately the state's defunding of public education. So a big fat THANKS to Brentwood Elementary for caring about my son's education.

Posted October 8, 2013

Great neighborhood school. We relocated here last year and everyone has made our daughter and us feel very welcome. Her 1st grade and now 2nd grade teacher has been great at challenging the kids and keeping learning fun and relevant.

Posted October 8, 2013

Brentwood is amazing. The teachers are great. The parents are great and the community is everything I have been looking for. I love volunteering in my kiddos classes.The school is growing and we are getting more amazing creative teachers. The only negative is the limited lunch. I think we should be able to eat lunch with our kids every day not just Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Posted October 4, 2013

Brentwood is a great neighborhood school. Caring teachers and involved parents! Kids get the attention they need.

Posted September 4, 2013

I love this school, and so does my son. I've been very happy with the quality of both of his teachers, and love the small community feel of the school.

Posted August 6, 2013

Academics: Much less workload than our previous elementary school, but still enough to challenge. Do not think the homework load was enough to ensure conceptual mastery. Staff: Front office staff were mostly rude to parents and did not have very hospitable interactions. Door entry personnel were very kind and made it a pleasure to drop kids off. Also appreciated the curb side service at the rear of the school each morning. Security: Despite always having the doors locked at the appropriate hours with a doorbell for entry, I thought it was rather too easy to just enter, pass the front office, and go to any destination you wished. Teachers: Very pleasant, always open to interact after hours with parents over concerns, or just to provide feedback. Facilities: Outdated, cramped and in need of expansion and repair. Community: Brentwood is nestled within the Brentwood area of Austin. Some of the parents in my children's classes were extremely friendly and interacted well with the other parents. Others, not so much. I saw two drug addicts stumbling just three blocks from the school on day one, not the most re-assuring sight with my kids just three blocks away.

Posted June 1, 2013

I placed my child in Brentwood because a friend recommended it. My son is dyslexic and falls under the 504 Program which requires an annual meeting regarding his progress. The counselor forgot entirely about the meeting and I had to go to the principal to have one set. I notice that the teachers are really great but the administrative and office staff have a real anti-social attitude. I think they are great with their buddies and neighbors but the rest of us tax payers are a real bother. In the end, Brentwood is better than some AISD schools but I would not choose this school if you have other options. We came from a far superior program at Barton Hills Elementary in Austin so maybe it is just that I know how good schools operate.

Posted September 22, 2010

Brentwood Elementary has been a great experience for my two kids. The teachers have all been good to excellent. The older child achieved excellent TAKS scores while at Brentwood. He is now getting great grades in his pre-AP classes in middle school. My younger child is also on track to do very well on the TAKS test. More importantly, both love to learn. They particularly love the innovative art program. The award-winning green initiatives at the school are integrated into the curriculum and include composting and organic gardening. The parent involvement is outstanding. When my oldest was about to start kindergarten, we visited other schools and considered sending him outside the neighborhood or to a private school. I'm so glad we decided to keep our kids at Brentwood. It s a wonderful, supportive community.

Posted April 25, 2010

It's a great neighborhood school, that's well integrated in the community and participates in many great events. Their organic garden is also something special.

Posted September 25, 2009

This is a great school. You can tell that everyone really cares about the kids here. The curriculum is exceptional. I am very happy to call brentwood our home.

Posted September 23, 2009

I'm loving our neighborhood school more and more each day. There is such a strong sense of cummunity among parents and the children, many of whom have known one another since infancy. I love walking away from the school in the morning and feeling confident about our decision to stick with the neighborhood school.

Posted September 18, 2009

Brentwood rocks they have great teachers and yummy lunches too!!!

Posted June 9, 2008

Our experience at Brentwood has been very positive. The teachers are wonderful, with few exceptions. My son's teacher is just amazing and worked with us so well on some anxiety issues he developed. Brentwood has progressive programs lacking in other schools: multi-age classes with teachers who work as a team; the Tribes program, where children learn to work as a team; Lifeskills that emphasize traits such as integrity, friendship and humor. These programs happened because the principal is open to trying new things. My son is reading 1.5 years over grade level and comes home with so many interesting facts and questions that I know he s learning and his curiosity is being nurtured. It s a small, friendly school with diversity in ethnicity and family income, which is important to me. PTA is working hard to increase enrichment opportunities. I m involved and we do get support from teachers and the principal.

Posted May 21, 2008

I love living in the Brentwood/Crestview neighborhood, with one exception: sending my child to Brentwood Elementary School. I have been incredibly disappointed by both teachers and administration at Brentwood. My child will not be attending Brentwood next year. I have attended information sessions at several other elementary schools in the area and have been shocked at how far Brentwood lags behind them. I place blame with the principal, who seems content with marginality. The PTA tries to make things better, but without the support from neither principal nor teacher, their efforts are stopgap, at best. There is great potential at Brentwood, it is an up and coming neighborhood that boasts many excellent qualities. But I am not willing to sacrifice my child's education in the meantime.

Posted November 9, 2007

Brentwood is one of the best kept secrets. The teachers are there for the kids. I can personally vouche for them. I have a child in high school now who at one time was way below grade level in reading. They work with my child until he was caught up. I also have another child there now and the teacher devotion is still there. We use the life skills at home that are practiced at school. There are a few active parent volunteers that are really there for the kids. We also enjoy the box tops store. We are so glad the parent has kept this going over the years. It seems to get better and better each year.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

85 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

81 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

71 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

71 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

68 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

48 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

51 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

48 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Female93%

Economically disadvantaged83%
Not special education91%
Proficient in English93%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

Proficient in English77%
Not migrant76%
Not Gifted67%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 3%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Visual arts
  • Drawing / sketching

Language learning

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Drawing / sketching

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6700 Arroyo Seco