Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

This is a completely homogeneous place. I don't just mean that almost all the families are white, which they are, but there is not much room for the children grow outside their own backgrounds and experiences. If you live in the neighborhood and love it, I guess you will fit in fine. This place will do a good job of keeping your little bubble intact and pushing away anyone who doesn't look and think and act in lock step with you.

Although I am in this school as a staff member of an afterschool care program for a short time, I found this school fits into one of the ideal schools that promotes learning in students. When it comes to student involving with activities with the teachers, I found they are very involved and are willing to learn from the teacher themselves even when they know that there are certain things that needs to be met. I found that because the school is small and that the students not only gets the attention they need and the parents involvement, the students themselves are positively affected by this and thus gives them the good experience they deserve. I found that such school not only fosters communication but also positive interactions between students. Highly recommended. The only downside that I want the school to do is to make the setting more like home for the 300 students in there since I notice those brick buildings makes me, as a teacher, feel restricted just like other public schools.

This is my 6th year at Bryker Woods. I like that its a small school but a great school! The teachers and staff are AMAZING!

This school is truly amazing! The teachers are good, and the parent involvement is outstanding. The school puts on major events such as BXBW (Arts by Bryker Woods) themed after SXSW (South by Southwest), Fall Carnival, and Spring Fling. I also like that it goes through 6th grade, allowing one more year of elementary school. The school was founded in 1939, and has many alumni events. There is a large garden area, and huge play spaces. The environment is nurturing, and each child is supported. It is truly a community school.

I was a student at Bryker Woods and its the best school E.V.E.R .I TOTALY LOVE IT.Any and every one should go to this green healthy spectacular school.My teachers were amazing and now Im a weepy mess because I no longer go there.I and many others recommend this school for almost any one.Every time I pass by BW I start to cry hope you feel the same.

~ I simply have to say "WOW"! What a truly AWESOME school Bryker Woods is! There is such a wonderfully close-knit, intimate community vibe at this school that I have simply fallen in love with it...and it is only our FIRST year of attendance! I can only imagine the praises that I will be singing this school come First Grade! Honestly, what is there not to LOVE about this school?! I mean, they have MAJOR Parent involvement and participation, they Recycle, they COMPOST and they throw one INCREDIBLE Fall Carnival! Hands Down, this is "THE Best School in Our Town"!!!

This is a great school with a wonderful community of families. Sadly the new principal is not a good cultural fit for the school and seems to be at the center of much controversy.

This is a wonderful neighborhood school with a great family feel. It is small enough that all the teachers know your child's name and almost everyone knows each other's kids/parents/families, etc. The new principal (as of Aug 2008) is interested and engaging with the kids. She is almost always available to talk about your concerns. My son had a fabulous kindergarten year and is now starting first grade with the right teacher for his personality... a choice that wasn't mine to make (nor did I try to influence that decision), but it was obviously made with great care. The parents are very involved... sometimes too much so... but the overall effect is that "It takes a village..." and this village will take care of your kids. I'm so glad we researched all of AISD and chose this school. The fact that is goes to 6th grade makes it even better.

My child is a bit unruly, creative, odd and an outspoken atheist. He has not had trouble being accepted at the school or in getting an education that is tailored to his needs. The newer teachers are really outstanding, bringing a fresh perspective. The parents are what really make the school, however, pushing for things they believe in and providing the manpower to provide a lot of enrichment activities.

Bryker Woods has been an excellent and supportive school for both of our children. The teachers are great, the parents are involved and helpful, and the atmosphere is just right. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Last modified Bryker Woods Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.