Austin, TX

Doss Elementary School 3

Posted April 01, 2015
Doss is the number one overcrowded school in the Austin school district now. To accommodate for more students, they added new portables that covered up part of the track. Growth is not sustainable here and the school is bursting at the seams. Traffic at drop off and pick up is ridiculous and there is very little parking available. There is a very active community of parents. Some are very warm and welcoming, and others not so much. There is not much socio-economic diversity and it very much feels like a school of "haves" with very few "have-nots." There is not much racial diversity -- although there are some Asian families (perhaps drawn to the Chinese Immersion Program at Doss). If your child doesn't require special assistance, they should do okay at Doss. If your child requires attention, they don't seem to have the resources to provide adequate help (special needs or gifted students).

Doss Elementary School 1

Posted January 23, 2015
I agree with the review that states the staff does not address the concerns of parents. My 8 year old son has been physically bullied for the last 6 months, bloody lips, torn backpacks and clothing, and nobody took it seriously until he retaliated yesterday. Now they want him to write apology letters to the kids who have been terrorizing him! REALLY!? I won't send him back to this den of terror. A child should not be scared to go to school.

Doss Elementary School 3

Posted January 08, 2015
When we moved here to Austin. We heard Great things about this school, But once we spent 6 months in the school , we found that Teachers never respond to parents queries , they hardly have time to respond to parent e-mails. They maintain websites but feedback or communication is useless, My Kid is loosing interest in school . We see more biased opinion.

Doss Elementary School 2

Posted November 19, 2014
The faculty at this school is wonderful. However, the school is bursting at the seams and is at 170% capacity. Teachers are at their wits end. I never thought I would consider moving my child out of this vertical team, but the school (thanks to AISD) does not have the resources to support the massive overpopulation.

Posted August 03, 2013
Doss elementary is such a wonderful school! This is our second year there and the staff and teachers have been so accommodating with my son who has just been identified as Dyslexic. There is so much parent involvement that there are not even always enough volunteer opportunities to go around. Now that is extraordinary school!

Posted January 07, 2013
We moved to Doss mid-year and the staff was wonderful about getting him set-up and acclimated. He had a very smooth transition.The staff and students are friendly, smart, and diverse. My son had lost interest in science and math at our old school. He has the spark back about learning and says he LOVES math and science again. I don't think I would've realized it was due to the school until we moved. The teachers here make learning fun and care about their students. He has special needs and made accomodations quickly and have been very supportive.

Posted November 10, 2009

Posted September 17, 2009
The teachers really care and there's a lot of parental involvement!

Posted September 17, 2009
Doss has a terrific, warm staff that makes everyone feel special.

Posted August 12, 2009
This is a great school. However, with all the positive reviews, the school is now overcrowded and losing it's sense of community. Teachers are stressed with the increased class loads and parents are quickly getting frustrated. We found other neighborhood gems at Casis, Hill, and Highland Park schools. The word is not yet out about these.

Doss Elementary School
7005 Northledge Drive, Austin, TX  78731
Last modified Doss Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Doss Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top