Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Amount of homework: Agree

I don't feel like it's too much, but it helps with practicing the stuff that can only be learned through repetition.

Our child moved to Highland Park after we were disappointed with the prestigious private school we'd been at for 2 years. We had heard nothing but good things about HP, so we decided to try it out. We were blown away! HP is an amazing school! The community is so fun and homey, just like what I had hoped for my child. The community is large, but the way the school is organized makes everything run so smoothly. The teachers have all been wonderful and the separate classes for different abilities has been great. The children don't seem very aware of the differences and it's not made to be competitive. We have been so happy with the school and so glad we took the leap of faith.

The teachers, administration and parents are all committed to providing a high quality education to the students. Communication is open and the principal and all staff are totally accessible. It is a warm, passionate, dedicated community. I feel very fortunate to live in the area and be able to send my 3 kids to HP!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They are ALL awesome. I have never made a special request for a certain teacher because I trust them all.

Amount of homework: Agree

Seems appropriate for each grade level. I have 3 kids in different grades so I see the different amounts that are assigned to each.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The children have a sense of peace and commorodary. I often see students helping each other out and supporting one another.

Both of my kids have attended Highland Park since kindergarten and we have been EXCEEDINGLY pleased with the quality of education, amazing, caring teachers and the social atmosphere. We love, love, love this school. Our children have made great, solid friends, had a lot of fun and are very happy. Our middle school admissions officer told us that children from Highland Park are among the best prepared for middle school. I rarely write a review online, but am disappointed to see so many negative reviews and felt the need to provide my own candid input. No school is perfect, but HP is probably about at close as you could ask for, public or private. Because of the parent involvement, the school offers many benefits of a private school without the cost of tuition. I think this school should be STRONGLY considered by all.

Awesome school with great teachers. Separation of kids based on ability level works very well and my kids love it. As far as PTA - yes, PTA raises money and spends that money to improve this school - more money they raise, more activities/fieldtrips/supplemental material/teachers/etc. can be provided to the kids. Improvement suggestion - Wish the school would offered a more comprehensive language program introducing kids to Far East languages as well as Latin.

If you read many of these reviews about Highland Park, you really pick up on the bitterness around the PTA and Fundraising. The PTA does raise a lot of money. Money which pays for positions that AISD won't fund. We currently pay for Technology teacher, Spanish teacher and a part time Reading specialist. We've help fund the Writing Without Tears program, the Math Attuned program and Fluency Centers. Plus we give money to grades to support them and enrichment fees for children who can't afford them. All which every kid in the school has access to. I don't agree that the PTA is cliquish. We BEG for help on a regular basis. Do we try to do too much? Maybe! As far as the academics go, I do agree with some of the other reviews. I have had a child in the high group, the medium and now a 504 kid. If you have a child with any kind of learning disability, this is the place to go! The high kids get great support too. In my experience, the middle kids can get missed. There are some some fantastic teachers and some that should leave. I have found that to be true at most schools. Even private. Overall, it really is a great public school! Just finished my 14th year at HP and still appreciate it

We've been extremely happy with the education our student is receiving at HP. Academics are very strong at HP--students average top 98% in standardized tests. Teachers assign projects beginning in K and students must learn to budget their time from an early age. Students also receive homework beginning in 1st but quantity does not seem over the top. The principal's blog provides details about each grade during the year. There may be a bit too much emphasis on raising money, at times all the events feel like a shake down, but we are thankful our school has the resources to support its teachers. We might consider pairing with another school, perhaps one that is minority-majority, on a community project to expose our kids to populations rich in other ways.

Last modified Highland Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.