Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My son is currently a 7th grader in the orchestra strand of the Lamar FAA and having a stellar experience. Ms. Kizer, the orchestra director, is extremely talented but also caring, committed, and sensitive to the needs and abilities of each child. She also brings fresh energy and innovation to the orchestra program with her deep interest in fiddle music alongside her impeccable classical training (fiddle is even an orchestra elective!). Our other experiences at Lamar have been equally good - the academics are rigorous without requiring piles of homework. Pre-AP classes are available for all core academics and a geometry track is open to advanced students. The teachers are wonderfully enthusiastic and weave the arts into academic classes in multiple ways, such as tying in in-class performances to history lessons. And although the artistic strands are first rate, Lamar also offers a wide variety of fascinating electives that go far beyond the arts - students at Lamar can also major in engineering and computer science with multiple course offerings in each as part of the Project Lead the Way program. Japanese and Mandarin Chinese are offered in addition to French and Spanish, and there is even an advanced science program that includes classes in forensics. Lastly, Lamar is a friendly and safe place. Principal Llewelyn couldn't be more committed to providing an environment where every student is both inspired and valued, and he has developed several innovative programs to support discipline and cross-peer collaboration across the school - for all students, not just the arts majors. One example is the Friday clubs which are student designed and allow students to meet and "play" with other kids who have like interests but don't share the same academic or arts classes...these clubs range from topics like Minecraft to Downton Abbey to Archery! And at Lamar, "magnet kids" aren't separated from other kids - all classes are available to everyone - majoring in an artistic strand only guarantees you will have a place in the courses of your strand. So no one is left out or feels "other" or not good enough. Hats off the Principal Llewelyn and the Lamar teachers and staff for transforming Lamar into a place where creativity and a quest for knowledge come into play every day…job well done!

We moved from India in March 2016. We took admission for our child in 7th grade. The school supported us in every possible way to get our child accustomed in the new pattern of study here. The teachers have always helped my child whenever she needed support.

My daughter had a wonderful experience at Lamar. She transferred in her 7th grade year from a comparatively rigorous magnet program in 6th grade, into the visual arts strand at Lamar Fine Arts Academy. She took pre-AP courses but was never overloaded with homework, she always enjoyed her classes, and she made a good number of friends who were part of the FAA and also some who were not in the program. There didn't seem to be a noticeable separation of academy vs. non-academy students, which we appreciated. She felt safe in the school and at school events. The smaller student population was a nice change from the previous school. Lamar has a friendly atmosphere of inclusion and collaboration. Our daughter didn't encounter bullying, or even what I'd consider typical teenage rivalry or peer pressure. All of the faculty and staff we encountered were consistently super positive, engaged, nurturing of success, and they seemed genuinely happy to be teaching at Lamar. All of the arts strands produce strong artists, but the stellar band program in particular blew us away. The jazz, wind ensemble and concert bands are nationally recognized for their achievements, for a reason. We are grateful that our daughter had the opportunity to be a part of the Lamar bands and the art program. She learned a great deal and made happy memories, and her move to the McCallum Fine Arts Academy was seamless. We hope that her younger sister's years at Lamar will be equally as great.

Lamar has come a long way in a short period of time. The teachers, the principal and the staff work hard to create a safe, active learning environment for every student there. My son is like most sixth graders. He would rather spend time with his friends than in a classroom. But he comes hope most days feeling happy and talking about what he's learning in class. We were nervous about the middle school experience. But so far it's been excellent.

We love Lamar and so do our children. We have a 6th grader and an 8th grader who are both part of the Fine Arts Academy. It is a wonderful school and the parental involvement is higher than most Middle Schools. Recently, my family contributed an amazing sculpture for the outdoor classroom and it was amazing. AISD was involved, the Art Department and so many influential parents attended. The kids are happy, they are learning and they are growing up in this safe, welcoming and talented environment. We are absolutely grateful for this school and it's leadership. Carla Umlauf

Lamar Middle school is a gem. The teachers truly care about the kids and follow up with their lives. My son who played football was also in the pops choir after school. So were 4 other players. The coaches let them suit up, go to the choir rehearsal for the first hour of practice, and then go to football practice. They also came to the choir performances. My ADHD daughter was given tremendous support from both special ed teachers and her regular ed classroom teachers. The teachers respond to email and requests for meetings and are supportive and helpful. We were nothing but pleased with our experiences at the school.

I love LMS. My son and my daughter both attend it. My son has been challenged in the advanced math program (currently taking Geometry I in 8th grade) and has thoroughly enjoyed his teachers. My daughter has enjoyed the Fine Arts Academy (visual strand). She enjoys school and feels happy to be there. Kids are accepted here and especially your artsy types, but really, this is a middle school for any tween to feel comfortable. I cannot rave enough about Mr. Llewelyn. He is fantastic as the principal!

My daughter is a 6th grader at the Lamar Middle School/Fine Arts Academy. Making the jump from elementary to middle school is a big one for both students and parents so I am pleased to report that my daughter is thriving in this school. She is a student in the orchestra and can't wait to come home and practice her violin. She is also doing great academicaly and enjoys her core classes. Any questions that I have had have been answered promptly by her teachers, counselor, or principal. I feel that they know my daughter and look after her and that she is not just a number. She enjoys going to her classes, loves her electives, enjoys her Scottie Club, and wants to participate in school activities and functions. All in all, a great middle school experience thus far. I am excited for her to continue on at Lamar and I am excited for my son to start there next year.

My kids both attend Lamar Fine Arts Academy. They both enjoy middle school and especially all of the amazing electives that are offered. Just because it is a FAA doesn't mean it is lacking in other areas. My daughter is taking an accelerated math and my son took Algebra and now is taking Geometry. Also, they both take foreign languages-one Spanish, the other Japanese. The principal is awesome! PTA is very involved. Lots of neighborhood kids attend and it feeds into McCallum Fine Arts. Best thing about Lamar is the size-a small middle school with teachers and staff who know your child and help you when you need it. Very happy!

Our family is pleased with the choice to send our daughter to Lamar Fine Arts Academy. She is participating in band, volleyballl, Spanish, art, dance and all AP classes. The workload is challenging, but managable for our daughter. She has a wonderful group of friends and teachers. The band experience has been amazing! The leadership from the Principal has been outstanding. He has sought after grants, is proactive in planning for the Fine Art future of Lamar, is involved in a master plan and truly loves the kids. Lamar is full of enrichment, culture, cool parents and wonderful neighborhood kids.

Last modified Lamar Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.