Posted April 03, 2014
Lamar has come a long way in a short period of time. The teachers, the principal and the staff work hard to create a safe, active learning environment for every student there. My son is like most sixth graders. He would rather spend time with his friends than in a classroom. But he comes hope most days feeling happy and talking about what he's learning in class. We were nervous about the middle school experience. But so far it's been excellent.

Posted April 02, 2014
We love Lamar and so do our children. We have a 6th grader and an 8th grader who are both part of the Fine Arts Academy. It is a wonderful school and the parental involvement is higher than most Middle Schools. Recently, my family contributed an amazing sculpture for the outdoor classroom and it was amazing. AISD was involved, the Art Department and so many influential parents attended. The kids are happy, they are learning and they are growing up in this safe, welcoming and talented environment. We are absolutely grateful for this school and it's leadership. Carla Umlauf

Posted March 31, 2014
Lamar Middle school is a gem. The teachers truly care about the kids and follow up with their lives. My son who played football was also in the pops choir after school. So were 4 other players. The coaches let them suit up, go to the choir rehearsal for the first hour of practice, and then go to football practice. They also came to the choir performances. My ADHD daughter was given tremendous support from both special ed teachers and her regular ed classroom teachers. The teachers respond to email and requests for meetings and are supportive and helpful. We were nothing but pleased with our experiences at the school.

Posted November 01, 2013
I love LMS. My son and my daughter both attend it. My son has been challenged in the advanced math program (currently taking Geometry I in 8th grade) and has thoroughly enjoyed his teachers. My daughter has enjoyed the Fine Arts Academy (visual strand). She enjoys school and feels happy to be there. Kids are accepted here and especially your artsy types, but really, this is a middle school for any tween to feel comfortable. I cannot rave enough about Mr. Llewelyn. He is fantastic as the principal!

Posted October 12, 2012
My daughter is a 6th grader at the Lamar Middle School/Fine Arts Academy. Making the jump from elementary to middle school is a big one for both students and parents so I am pleased to report that my daughter is thriving in this school. She is a student in the orchestra and can't wait to come home and practice her violin. She is also doing great academicaly and enjoys her core classes. Any questions that I have had have been answered promptly by her teachers, counselor, or principal. I feel that they know my daughter and look after her and that she is not just a number. She enjoys going to her classes, loves her electives, enjoys her Scottie Club, and wants to participate in school activities and functions. All in all, a great middle school experience thus far. I am excited for her to continue on at Lamar and I am excited for my son to start there next year.

Posted October 05, 2012
My kids both attend Lamar Fine Arts Academy. They both enjoy middle school and especially all of the amazing electives that are offered. Just because it is a FAA doesn't mean it is lacking in other areas. My daughter is taking an accelerated math and my son took Algebra and now is taking Geometry. Also, they both take foreign languages-one Spanish, the other Japanese. The principal is awesome! PTA is very involved. Lots of neighborhood kids attend and it feeds into McCallum Fine Arts. Best thing about Lamar is the size-a small middle school with teachers and staff who know your child and help you when you need it. Very happy!

Posted October 05, 2012
Our family is pleased with the choice to send our daughter to Lamar Fine Arts Academy. She is participating in band, volleyballl, Spanish, art, dance and all AP classes. The workload is challenging, but managable for our daughter. She has a wonderful group of friends and teachers. The band experience has been amazing! The leadership from the Principal has been outstanding. He has sought after grants, is proactive in planning for the Fine Art future of Lamar, is involved in a master plan and truly loves the kids. Lamar is full of enrichment, culture, cool parents and wonderful neighborhood kids.

Posted October 05, 2012
Lamar Middle School's visionary leadership in our new principal has continued to increase academic standards and enrollment for neighborhood students. As a newly designated Fine Arts Academy, we are the only middle school to offer Art 1 for high school credit. Advanced academic choices and increased electives are continuing to increase performance. Athletics participation and performance also make Lamar a great neighborhood school choice. As a parent and volunteer, I have enjoyed the camaraderie and involvement that naturally comes from staying in our neighborhood.

Lamar Middle School 4

Posted October 05, 2012
What an amazing experience my daughter has had at Lamar Fine Arts Academy. Her artistic talents have been allowed to shine while still keeping focused on academics. The Principal is outstanding and the PTA has really stepped up to make this a very fine school!

Posted October 05, 2012
My daughter attends Lamar Middle School, and is proud to be a part of the Fine Arts Academy, but also enjoys the rigor of the other classes she is taking and the options in regard to electives. The teaching staff is a group of wonderful, talented teachers who really know their students and are available and responsive to them!.Principal Lewellyn has brought so much to the campus, and is equally available to the families. Our daughter has wonderful friends and is honestly happier than one would ever expect during "those middle school years". So happy to be a part of our neighborhood school!

Lamar Middle School
6201 Wynona Avenue, Austin, TX  78757
Last modified Lamar Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lamar Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top