Austin, TX
Students enrolled: 1,554

Posted December 15, 2014
I used to go to Lanier earlier in the year for like 5 months and honestly after starting homeschool for the first time this year, I'd rather go back to Lanier, it was great there and some of the students, teachers, and counselors were nice. Even though there was one rude teacher. Overall at Lanier I had a great experience especially in the choir part and next year I'm going back. c:

Posted February 09, 2014
I graduated from Lanier in 2013. While I enjoyed extracurricular activities at this school, the education I received was sub par in comparison to other high schools in Austin. A student could excel academically at Lanier and get automatic acceptance to a University in Texas because of the top 10% rule and find themselves unprepared for the rigor of university classes. It happens far too often. Lanier needs to do a better job of preparing students for the future, instead of making sure they pass the standardized tests. On another note, teachers are deeply invested in their students' lives and care about their success. But there are many young teachers who are hired and leave Lanier once they grow as educators. As for the students, there are students who don't care, students who come from broken homes and shaky backgrounds. They are mainly minorities from lower income families. While nothing is defined by race, there is a negative connotation placed on Lanier because of the attendees. Basically, this school needs to be fixed. Replacing some of the administration would be a great starting point.

Posted October 19, 2009
I used to be a student at Lanier, I wasn't an A or B student, but I have learned alot. The teachers at this school are very caring and when it comes to problems they are always their to help mainly the counselors and principles.

Posted December 17, 2008
It was a great learning enviorenment, lots of oppurtunites for us less fortunate students!

Posted June 17, 2008
I am a current student at Lanier and i am thrilled to be here. I transfered from Anderson High School just to go Lanier High School. Lanier offers a safe enviroment and dedicated teachers which is hard to find at other schools. Everyone is dedicated and teachers are really helpful. The coaches help you out also, we have very good athletes at our school. Now the TAKS scores have been low for a couple of years now, but were improving and the new students are dedicated. You should have seen the amount of people that got commended this year, it was almost half of the school, and the rest of them atleast passed. Many students try and they get rewarded for it. Every school has its good and bad students. I am proud to be a student at this school, and want to graduate from here.

Posted April 18, 2006
Lanier is a good school, with hard working teachers. Its only fault being the overall quality of students at the school. AISD does not bus, therefore the population of Lanier is stuck in two molds. Low econmics and monoculturaly. IF AISD would push for diviristy it would be outstanding.

Posted February 03, 2006
My son, a senior @ Lanier has done exceptionally well academically. He has been accepted at UT & several other colleges. He has worked extremely hard to have achieved this. Along with Gear up & honors programs & AP classes.He also took the early start college classes. The teachers work very hard with the kids, but the kids have to be willing to do the work. Unfortunately a lot do not bother. Your child can do well @ Lanier if they really want to, if they do, you will find all the teachers more than willing to help them achieve their goals.

Posted October 02, 2005
Lanier has it's fair share of problems, but it also has it's good points. I graduated two sons from lanier. They both were in honors classes and they both played football. I think this helped them stay on track.

Posted July 08, 2005
It is a great school that is coming up good academically and now athletically!!

Posted March 29, 2005
We have just moved to the Austin area and really studied the schools in the area. We were looking for a smaller school for the one on one with the teachers. We talked to the Coaches, Teachers and Principal. They are looking for the best in all the students. Lanier high school is trying so hard to make things so much easier to help all the kids in having as many activities at the school, like having the SAT tests at the school, being one of the schools to have free dual college credit classes, teachers recognising one of their students in a reception dinner and honoring the student for their achievments sponcered by State Farm. I could keep going. Everyone that works at this school wants the best for all their students. I am very happy with the everyone there. The tenyear is very impressive at this school also.

Lanier High School
1201 Payton Gin Road, Austin, TX  78758
Last modified Lanier High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lanier High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top