Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 02, 2016
What integrity is there that never punishes a child who has a bad "home life", but punishes a child for looking askance if they are from the local neighborhood?

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted February 05, 2016
Honestly, it is like living on the streets. We live in a zip-code with two excellent elementary schools, and then, there is this... We have our children in private schools and may have to move because of this school. I don't know if we can make it another two years.

Posted October 07, 2015
awesome school!!! great the location, lots of activities.. beautiful playground, a school that cares. Lots of programs to offer and great teachers!!!

O Henry Middle School 1

Posted March 30, 2015
If your child participates in band, orchestra, athletics, or is in all Pre-AP classes then this school may be okay. All other kids, especially special needs kids, should avoid this school. There are some good teachers and a great librarian but the administrators should all be replaced for turning a blind eye to the bullying problems here. The school desperately needs to reinvent itself and become a place people WANT to send their kids. Clint Small MS is a much better choice.

Posted May 11, 2014
I agree with the parent below: This school has a bullying problem. It contributed to our decision to move our child. We spoke to one of the vice principals and were treated with hostility. It's a shame because the teachers at the school are indeed excellent. They go above and beyond for students who want to learn.

Posted May 02, 2014
Both my children are at O Henry Middle School. OHMS has an excellent principal, Pete Price, and wonderful teachers. We have a fantastic librarian who is very creative and gets the students excited about exploring different kinds of books. We love the band program and the enrichment classes are really fun and educational.

O Henry Middle School 1

Posted December 17, 2013
O'Henry Middle School has wonderful teachers, but this school has a SEVERE bullying problem that the principal just isn't willing to recognize. Even with the exceptional teaching staff, I could not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted July 15, 2013
As a former student of O'henry Middle School, all I can say is if you are looking for higher education: I would not recommend this school. There are many very nice teachers but overall they lack connection with the students. Some students are not pushed to be they can be lowering the education level of the other kids. The Athletics Program was less than satisfactory and some of the Staff members.... Did not meet my expectations. Overall I got an education but my experience at O'henry was one that I can brag about.

Posted May 30, 2013
This is the best school I've ever taught at (I taught here for 6 years). The principal is an incredible leader and the staff truly cares about the students. After seeing how other schools are run, I now realize what an amazing school this is, both for students and teachers. I would not hesitate to send my own children here.

Posted September 01, 2011
I found the two years I spent at O. Henry to be the two worst years of my education. The school is way too crowded. The classes have about 30 kids in a room designed for 20. The teachers have so many students. This causes them to be tired and stressed constantly, and the lessons leave much to be desired. Many of the students there seem to barely care about their education. Many students who are in Pre-AP classes should not be. They do not work, and they do not care. They hold the lessons back, therefore, the smarter students are held back from reaching their full potential. The staff is nice, for the most part. However, there are some very rude teachers and office workers, these are the people that don't care about anything except for the paycheck. I do not recommend this school. I worked hard to succeed, and I did, but that was in spite of the circumstances.

2610 West 10th Street, Austin, TX  78703
Last modified O Henry Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.