Oak Hill Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 778 students

Our school is best known for it's diversity & academic excellence.

Posted September 22, 2009

My daughter graduated from Oak Hill in 2008 and because the education she got there she is a great student. Mrs Thompson was her second grade teacher and the one that identify and corrected a few things and now we are greatfull to her for all her effort. All the teachers there work hard to help the students but parents need to be more involve if you want your kids to succed.Go Eagles!!!

Posted November 25, 2008

My son is a fourth grader at O.H. He has nothing but wonderful engagement. We have been here since kinder and he is excelling in everything. He is challenged on every level. I have been so impressed with absolutely everything about it from the principal to the counselor to the librarian to the teachers. Way to go Oak Hill!

Posted September 2, 2008

This is an amazing school! Both of my children have learned a lot. My children have had very kind understanding teachers. God Bless you Mrs. Baxter, Mrs. Rogers & Mrs. Ritter.

Posted July 11, 2008

Amazing school! The kids are the focus at the school. The principal's main concern is the student. If each student is getting everything they need, she is happy! I had concerns about my son and each concern was addressed and fixed to my liking. I know that I used too much of Mrs. Whistler's time, but she never made me feel this way. She was unusually helpful. Even though there are some teacher I heard bad things about (as you would anywhere), for the most part the teachers go above and beyond. Great school!

Posted May 30, 2008

The teachers are wonderful but the school is a big let down when it comes to the safety of the students. They have to request parental volunteers to watch the children at lunch and on the playground because they have not allocated funds for this. If you have a child who has special needs of any kind you will not get any help from the school.

Posted April 20, 2008

I agree with the opinion's of the parents who believe it's all about the teachers and how they interact with your child. My daughter has been at Oakhill from Kindergarten and currently closing in on the end of her fifth grade year; she has had certain teachers who have identified her uniqueness and helped her achieve higher goals and then there were those who simply chose to let her slide by. I am extremely grateful to those who took the extra step and pushed her to be the student they knew she was capable of being particulary her fourth and fifth grade teachers who have never given up no matter how exasperating she may have been. God bless you Ms. P and Ms Ledbetter!

Posted March 3, 2008

We have been fortunate to have great teachers in our years at the school but this is not the case for everybody. Like everywhere there are great teachers and bad teachers. The playground is great and the library is well managed. However the principal leadership is far from what I was expecting. There is very little communication comes from the principal and there is no innovation at all. Principal seems have open door policy on a personal basis but does not really address any issues that do not benefit the scoring of the school or if your child is above the norm. Extracurricular activities are simply non existent.

Posted February 1, 2008

My experience at Oak Hill is that if your kid fits the program, it is a great school. I have read the bad reviews and they all have a similar theme. If your kid does not fit Oak Hill's definition of normal, the school does not do a very good job with them. I don't have any serious issue with my son or the school. However, communication leaves something to be desired. They could do a better job of understanding that all kids are different.

Posted September 26, 2007

My daughter has been there for two and a half years now. I have never had a worse experience. One bad teacher is understandable, but all three she had have been unenthusiastic and unwilling to provide the proper skills needed to pass to the next grade.

Posted September 25, 2007

My child was in Eanes ISD for 1 year (Kinder), but is in Oak Hill Elem now for first grade. It is an excellent school, as rigorous as I hoped, with diversity, high standards, and excellent teachers. The principal Ms. Whistler is omnipresent and approachable. I feel that my child will get an excellent education at this school. Also, it has a great playground (much less congested and chaotic than what she had last year) and enormous library. The leveled library for reading is implemented well.

Posted August 20, 2007

My daughter has been at Oak Hill Elementary for only a year, but what a bad experienced it was. I had heard great things about the school and was very disappointed. I also think it depends o the teacher. She got the worst second grade teacher. Actually the worst teacher ever since Pre-K. I am hoping this year will be better. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

Posted August 16, 2007

My kids have gone to Oak Hill Elementary since kindergarden. My daughter is now in 8th at Small and my son is in 3rd. Great schools both of them!

Posted August 15, 2007

It's all about the teacher. Had good to great to fabulous teachers for my children. Know others who weren't so lucky. However......... The principle is difficult to work with and needs more education or training about tolerance on issues involving childrens health and more current thinking on issues involving differences in children. I have to agree with the previous writer on k-roundup, the school is not very welcoming. Sorry.

Posted December 13, 2005

We love this school for our children. The teachers are friendly and responsive to parents. My childrens teachers have really gone the extra mile in working with them to become successful. The principals are both approachable and available. The music and art and PE programs are great. There is a good level of parental involvement. We transferred from another school to Oak Hill and are happy that we did so!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 7, 2005

Have had multiple communication problems with different areas, including, prinipal, vice principal, school nurse, and teachers.

Posted October 8, 2004

Oak hill elementary - rocks!! parents why send your kids to a private school when they cannot compete with the great well rounded education and social development that our kids are and have recieved at oak hill. Rather than pay the extra money, give some of your time and invest that back into your kids as many/most of the parents do at oak hill elementary and watch you child soar with the eagles!! great place to learn and great place to grow. Don't just judge the facility from the outside. Go meet with the staff and find the diamond inside.

Posted August 12, 2004

Unfortunately our son experienced a very stressful and demeaning fourth grade year with very little sensitivity or awareness of our child's needs demonstrated by the staff throughout the school year. We were left feeling no one was listening to our concerns and we never experienced any sincere attempt to understand our child's learning needs. Our child whose learning style is to physically move to integrate information and who is a verbal learner had to sit still and be quiet to be accepted as a 'good' child. Having an advanced degree in education myself, I expressed my understanding of our child's learning style and needs to the staff and found a lack of comprehension and even awareness of child-development needs and individual learning styles. This greatly disturbed us and points to a lack of importance placed on the the needs of the child and the professional sensitivity of the staff.

Posted July 31, 2004

I went to Oak Hill for my fourth and fifth grade years. My teachers were both great, and also the accelerated program was a great help, not to be put behind by the other kids. I learned so much while I was there. All the students are very welcoming to any new students, and the atmosphere is very kind.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 12, 2004

I've heard great things about Oak Hill and have been looking forward to my son attending. But we attended Kinder. round-up and were very disappointed that kids weren't invited into the classrooms, we didn't meet any teachers or the principal, or learn anything about their kinder program or the school. I know of other schools who provided a warm, interactive, kid-friendly welcome for kinder kids. We basically just filled out paperwork and were walked around by parent volunteers who were nice but told my son to not touch anything (even books in library) and not enter classrooms etc. I was very disappointed, but hope to see great things once we get started there.

Posted May 12, 2004

We have been part of the Oak Hill family since our son was in Kindergarten. He is now a 4th grader. I cannot say enough positive things about this school. The teachers and staff are awesome. Their professionalism, skill, and caring are unparalleled. An environment of respect for self and others is fostered and expected of students and staff alike at Oak Hill. I have seen one teacher quiet 800 kids in about 10 seconds by raising her hand and saying 'give me five'. Our kids are among the best and the brightest. And last, but not least, parental support at Oak Hill is incredible--just ask, and it shall be done. With a heavy heart, I look forward to our last year at Oak Hill. We have been truly blessed.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

94 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

94 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

82 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

82 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

76 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

107 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

107 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

105 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students94%

Not special education97%
Proficient in English96%
Non-migrant97%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students98%

Not special education89%
Non-Gifted86%
Bilingual100%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 7% 4%

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 2%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • CATHRYN MITCHELL
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (512) 892-2279

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Performance stage
  • Playground

Photos

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
O Henry Middle School