Bad
Good

Ortega is a hidden little gem tucked into this East side neighborhood. Our family has been involved in this school for over 7 years and have been impressed with the outstanding staff that makes up this school. Many have been here for over a decade which says a lot about the positive environment. Our children are proud of their school, love their teachers and we as parents have been impressed by the atmosphere and education our children have received.

Amount of homework: Agree

I have particularly noticed that the teachers in the older grades create homework that is fun for the kids.

Ortega is amazing! They have excellent teacher, excellent princpal, strong leadership, and challenging academic programs. They do recognize children whom have problems and work on that issue to improve their school education. Now my kids are so happy there. They look forward to go these school unlike Michigan ( Reeth Puffers Elementary school ). This school did not even ingore. They helped my children. Reeth Puffer ingored my children and didn't bother to help my kids or communicate with me at all. It was rough. Now thanks to Ortega, my kids are doing remarkable well. They are more positive influence on my kids. I seen wonderful positive in my kids now in such short time! I am blessed to have this school. They have open communicate with me. I am thankful.

Ortega has just been determined to be an Exemplary School in Texas! Ortega has risen from Academically Acceptable, to Recognized school 2008, to Exemplary this year, 2009. The Texas Education Agency released the latest school Accountability Ratings 7/31/09. These rankings are a measure of 2008-2009 test scores as well as 2008 dropout and high school completion rates. An Exemplary Rating, the highest possible score, indicates that a school has met all state standards.

My kids are getting a quality education by very qualified and outstanding teachers. I'm impressed by the dedication of the teachers at Ortega, they have a great Principal, Dr. Pedrosa, who has taken the school to reach excellent standards. Our kids enjoy the healthy learning environment and are encouraged to set their own goals and figure out ways to achieve them. The kids in this school are courteous and respectful, due to good teachers. There are great after school classes that kids are really interested in, which a good percentage of kids attend. The choir is outstanding, too, and my son enjoys the performances all around the city of Austin! We're really happy and pleasantly surprised to have found this gem on the East side.

Last modified Ortega Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.