Austin, TX

Posted October 30, 2013
Pease is an Austin treasure. Its small size, diversity, and history make it unique. As a small school, Pease has a real sense of community. There are only two classes per grade level, so all the children know one another. Pease is one of the schools participating in the school district's social and emotional learning program, which helps promote problem-solving, responsible decision-making and social awareness. Academically, there is a focus on the students as individuals; teachers frequently customize reading assignments, spelling lists and math problems to challenge each student. Whether they are organizing writing camps, devising science experiments, introducing a classical guitar program, or creating a Shakespeare program for fifth graders, teachers and staff are constantly looking for new ways to go beyond the basics and inspire students.

Posted October 22, 2013
Pease is an amazing school. We transferred our child here after a not-so-great experience at another school, and the difference was clear right away. Our child has never been bored at Pease. The teachers really tailor instruction to each child's needs. I have never in 3 years heard of any, and I mean ANY bullying at Pease, which I think is amazing. It's an incredibly nurturing and supportive environment. Lots of things make Pease special: the small class sizes, the great teachers, the high level of parent involvement. But I think the principal deserves most of the credit. Her door is always open. She really understands parents and kids. She's caring, flexible, creative, and incredibly hardworking, and she knows everything that goes on in the school and knows each child by name. Honestly, I can't say enough good things about this school.

Posted October 04, 2013
Most people who walk through the doors at Pease comment on what a special place it is. It's small--maybe 260 kids. Its status as an all-transfer school makes the student body one of the most diverse communities I've seen in Austin. Talk about a neighborhood school-- Austin is our neighborhood! The principal is indefatigable; the teachers, administrators, and staff are talented, energetic, kind, and devoted. Some have been there 20 years. Much attention is paid to developing the children's social and emotional development, but the kids know they are there to LEARN! Whether they're learning to read in kinder, writing short stories and poetry in 4th, or interpreting and performing Shakespeare in 5th, the children are constantly being challenged and encouraged to rise to high expectations. It has been a joy to watch my 4th grader blossom and thrive in this nurturing, stimulating environment, and I'm thrilled to see how happy my new kindergartener is to go to school every day. I am so glad we are part of the Pease community.

Posted October 02, 2013
Pease is a great school. It has 2 classes per grade level so your students are able to know everyone in their grade which is a huge plus when it compares to the other schools and has a very diverse population as well. It is the oldest continuously running public school in Texas which alone is a unique feature but then the traditions we have truly make it a remarkable school. We celebrate May Fete every year and the 6th graders who leave get to wrap the May Pole and the kids look forward to this tradition in which they will get to do this one day. Hootenanny is also another great event that we have that celebrates our schools birthday. Fine Arts night is also a great time to come out and enjoy a laid back family night with your kids. The teachers are AMAZING. We are now in second grade and we have had a great experience. The teachers give you the tools you need to help your child grow academically and also encourage the students to do their best. When you have concerns the teachers are very responsive along with the principal to make sure that your child's needs are met. I feel that my daughter has truly excelled under the teachers she has had and will continue to do so.

Posted September 02, 2013
As a parent to a student who has attended Pease now for several years, I can confidently praise the school's administration, staff, and teachers. My daughter is always challenged in the classroom and is therefore always learning. When I need the staff or principal for assistance, they are always quick to respond with a thoughtful suggestion or solution. And then, THEN there's the convenience of location! The ability to walk to my daughter's school and eat lunch with her is priceless. I'm thankful for this downtown jewel in public education.

Posted June 15, 2011
I went to school here in the 70s and it was a great school then. Years later when I visited, the principal still remembered me. I didn't even have to say remember me. She looked at me for a few moments, and said my name. It was a great school then and I'm glad to hear that is still a great school!

Posted December 07, 2010
I love Pease. This school is community oriented, close knit, and everyone knows each other. The principal knows each child by first name. She stands outside and greets all her students in the morning. My child graduated from there two years ago and I now have my second child there. My kids love it and the learning environment is great!

Pease Elementary School 3

Posted September 01, 2010
This school is a good school for students that do not have special needs. For students with special needs, the special education program is not acceptable. IEP's and 504 plans are met about, but not implemented well with some teachers. Staff seem to say the right words, but not provide action to help accomodate students that do not fit into the mainstream. Some of the teachers are great, others are unacceptable.

Posted July 02, 2010
i recently graduated from pease (go class of 2010!!!) and i have to say my experience was amazing!!! i went there since kindergarden and i had alot of fun!!! UPs:computer lab food is getting better most teachers are nice very small school everyone knows everyone the wonderful 6th grade band and orchestra Downs:i didnt like the way the music and art teacher taught(there getting a new music teacher) they change out teachers alot i cant think of any other downs... if you are looking for a great school i would advize you consider this school btw(by the way) i got staight A's for the last 9 weeks of school...my teachers really taught me responsibility!!! i well ready for middle school...Good Luck!!!

Posted November 17, 2009
This is my son's second year at Pease. He asks me on the weekends if he can go back to school. He's reading at a 3-4 grade level and he just started first grade. He knows all the kids at the school already (since it's relatively small) and we love to feel the community support we get from Pease. This is definitely one of Austin's hidden treasures. I'm sad to see only three stars on extracurricular activities, because I know all the staff and parents at Pease really work harder than the average person to give our kids the best experience and education they can. They have a volunteer who teaches chess club and gardening every single week. They have Spanish teachers that are paid by the small PTA and Pease parents. There is a gifted and talented program as well a music, art and various camps and get-togethers.

Pease Elementary School
1106 Rio Grande Street, Austin, TX  78701
Last modified Pease Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pease Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top