Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

My son has attended Pillow for almost 2 years now and I have only had one good experience with the staff. The staff is seriously lacking in basic social and people skills. I rarely see anyone smiling or being socially interactive. Especially the office staff. They couldnt care less about addressing any issues or questions. I have been yelled at on more than 5 occasions by random staff members in the morning while trying to get my son where he needs to be. This year alone, my son has had 3 teachers and I only recieved notice each time a day or two prior. Yet they saw absolutely no problem with this and didn't understand why I was concerned. My son has had issues with bullying, yet when addressed, they blamed him for not letting them know or for making things up. When I asked my son why he wasn't telling the teacher of this, he replied "because she doesn't like tattle tales". Every morning is a struggle trying to get him to school because he's that unhappy here. When your 7 year old crys and beggs you to please take him to a new school, it really makes you question and wonder what is really happening behing those doors. Race is also certainly an issue here. If you are not Hispanic, you absolutely do not get decent treatment. My son has been harrassed many times because he's white and they actually got mad at me for defending equality. Every race is equal. No exceptions. After reading all the reviews on here, I'm actually really surprised at the positive feedback these people have given. The end of this school year will be our last here and I am so ready for it to be over. His new school has a 10/10 rating. My advice to any parents out there, do your research and really think about your choice of school. The ratings are there for a reason. I didn't listen and I regret it. Don't make the same mistake.

I am a big fan of Pillow Elementary, a school I visit regularly in my role as professional storyteller. I was thrilled recently to provide three large assemblies, funded by their active PTA, in honor of I Love Reading Day -- a well-organized event, from the excellent sound system to the efficient filing in/out of the children. Over the years, I've seen the student body gradually diversify which for my mind brings a rich culture to the school, and makes my task more rewarding, sharing tales to connect the children with each other, and with the world they live in. Last week, those students were extraordinarily well behaved and attentive, happily soaking up the stories. Frankly, I believe this says as much about the faculty as it does about the children: teachers who love the school and have been there for years, and motivated new teachers, all of them dedicated to educating the whole child. The literary specialist says they work hard to balance rigorous classroom instruction with fun ways to learn and grow, but top of the list is always an emphasis on reading. That's why I was there. As it happens, I pass Pillow daily on my morning walk, and it pleases me that the school and its grounds always look nurtured. Even with construction (they recently began much-needed, long-overdue renovations, including an up-dated library) the whole area is still pristine and well maintained. I'm proud to call Pillow my local elementary!

Not a good school!!!! My daughter was behind after attending here and her teacher was horrible for communication.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

My daughter was so behind when we went to new school...but got good grades while at pillow. Her teacher made no effort to help her in areas she struggled in.

My son attended Kindergarten and first grade at Pillow. His first grade teacher Ms Sarah White is an exceptional teacher, she helped my son in every way to improve and utilize his capabilities and created new opportunities for him. Really grateful to her and the whole school family - will miss you all.

Pillow Elementary is a wonderfully diverse neighborhood school. There are over 35 home languages spoken. Students at Pillow feel safe and happy and are supported by their teachers who provide equitable learning experiences giving each child the tools they need to be successful. There is parent involvement with the PTA hosting several Spirit Nights a year to raise money for the school. In addition, the school opens its doors four times a year with a night dedicated to celebrating the each of the 4 content areas. My favorite is their Literacy Night where children come in and have fun with literacy, guided by their teachers, and leave with a free book! Lastly, Students in 1st-5th grade are exposed to foreign languages once a week (Spanish, French, German, Chinese, and Latin). This really is a wonderful school and one of Austin's best kept secrets.

Pillow Elementary School is an incredible school. The teachers are so caring and nurturing to each student. They always go above and beyond to make sure each student learns what they need to succeed in the next stage of their education. The teachers take a personal interest in each student to give them confidence in finding what motivates them not only in school but in life.

My son attended PK here in the year 2013-14. We found this school to be quite good, the teachers and staff are friendly and involved. The school had regular field trips which helped keep the students interested. The parents were encouraged to be highly involved. I do not know why the school fell in the ratings but our experience has been good so far.

This review is for 6 years ago (06'/07')- not sure if the same principal is there. My son loved this school. He only attended in 5th grade, but as a senior now he looks back and says 'I really liked Pillow. I learned so much there.' The principal was really the key I believe. She was terrific. She hand picked a group of teachers that truly wanted the best for the kids. They taught in a way that made the kids think, not just memorize facts. Thank you!

We love the school, my son is happy there, since PK he has great grades, we're taking an active part in his education by reinforcing what he learns at school at home, I wish more parents take the plunge an volunteer more at school , the opportunities are there.

Last modified Pillow Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.