Posted August 05, 2014
The best Elementary school in Austin! Caraway has a very hometown feel where everyone knows each other. The principal is outstanding. We moved to the area just for the schools and couldn't be happier. I have never experienced such parent involvement. Every child gets individualized attention and seems to enjoy being there. What a hidden treasure.

Posted April 02, 2014
My grandson started at Caraway Elementary this last year (2013). He was recently diagnosed with mild autism and was non-verbal when he started school. In six months he has shown great verbal and behavioral improvement. His family is so pleased with his progress and he enjoys going to school and seeing his teacher and his friends. His progress at Caraway Elementary has given us all hope and encouragement for his future. We are very grateful to his teacher and the staff at Caraway Elementary.

Posted October 24, 2013
Is the best elementary school in Austin Tx !!!!!, The Principal is so Wonderful plus is a joyous learning experience for the kids, everything is very organized and functions excellent!!

Posted October 22, 2013
Great school! Great teachers, great students and great programs. My two kids in this school and their teachre are dedicated to teach in passion. And their friends are very nice to my kids, so my kids really want to go to school every time. They even count down to the school day in weekends. There are many and various programs, so my kids like to join those programs. The school makes students to be interested in the programs and most of them are educational and joyful.

Kathy Caraway Elementary School 1

Posted October 20, 2013
I agree with the former RRISD teacher below, my daughter has had two not-so-great teachers in a row. I feel like she's not well-prepared for middle school and am having to re-teach many concepts at home. Not what I expected for such a highly-rated school.

Kathy Caraway Elementary School 2

Posted December 18, 2012
This school has disappointed me. As a highlight, the teachers are very caring and go well beyond to help students. The major con is that the vice-principle seems more interested in not marring the Caraway name instead of directly and appropriately dealing with real issues like bullying and pack-mentality.

Kathy Caraway Elementary School 1

Posted June 13, 2012
As a former RRISD teacher, I thought Caraway would be the place to have my child. Was I ever wrong. My now middle schooler has no idea how the writing process works or how to problem solve. I had to teach and re-teach at home constantly. The school -in my opinion- does not earn its exemplary rating. It teaches to the standardized test(s) and has admin that knows how to "sell" to parents and higher admin. Very very disappointed with the overall experience.

Posted March 17, 2012
Caraway has an experienced, capable, and caring staff at all levels. There is a kindness there that creates an atmosphere that makes my daughter feel comfortable. The principal know all the students and is very accessible. When I was making my decision on where my daughter would go to school the principal personally called me, left a message and her private cell phone number. From classroom to lunchroom to the pickup and drop-off process the school is a well oiled machine. Everything is planned down to the smallest detail; the students know what is expected of them at all times. Parental involvement is very high and enthusiastic. You will never feel out of the loop; communication between the school and parents and between teacher and parents occurs almost on a daily basis. I could not be more pleased that my daughter is attending Caraway.

Posted January 04, 2012
My son went to Caraway for 3 years, K to 2 grade and we both loved it! Great academics, great community sense, fantastic teachers, caring families, attention to arts and science, and a principal that is always available - she knows every student by the name and has an open door policy - she will reply to your email within hours! We had to move to a different state and no a day goes by that we don't miss Caraway Elementary.

Posted June 02, 2011
Good education, both in academics and social skills. The principal really does know every child in the school, there is an incredible amount of parent involvement, there is cultural diversity which is embraced and appreciated, and they teach kids how to live and think well, not just how to pass a test. The TAG program has been a saving grace for my son, so they do deal well with special needs kids at both ends of the spectrum. They won't tell 50% of the kids that they are academically gifted just because they are above average; my older son was denied participation in the TAG program and eventually I had to acknowledge that they were right--he's smart but not gifted. My younger one needs the stimulation of TAG to remain academically functional. There are a couple teachers whom I don't think should be teaching, but overall, this is a solid school on all fronts.

Kathy Caraway Elementary School
11104 Oak View Drive, Austin, TX  78759
Last modified Kathy Caraway Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kathy Caraway Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top