Spicewood Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 765 students

Posted May 10, 2014

We couldn't be happier with the teachers, administration, or the school environment. Our children receive a fantastic education in a caring, supportive environment that brings out their best.

Posted September 24, 2013

Excellent environment for my two kids; they are taught to question rather than just memorize. Teachers and administrators are very approachable.. and the principal, Ms. Kim, seems to know the name of every kid despite being her first month at the school. Parents are involved.. and they care. I was surprised that someone commented earlier that the parents were snobs--there may be clicks, but that's the same with all neighborhoods. However, I wouldn't look to the school to fill my social calendar--I'm just looking for the school to truly educate and prepare my kids. From this perspective, Spicewood truly excels.

Posted July 15, 2013

Is this school easy? No. Is every day Rainbows and ponies? No again. Do I compare my child out in social settings and see her light years ahead of other children her age from private schools? Yes. The parents that are involved do a great job here. Having a school in a golf course community helps because there is a lot of interaction among the neighborhood beyond the school if you wish. The school can be a little intimidating at first but once you grasp the interaction between teachers, administration, and parents it is a great environment. Is not what my elementary was but it will give my children the best opportunity to be successful and quite honestly could not be happier.

Posted May 29, 2013

My kids have been at Spicewood for 5 years now. We love it and we are crushed that Mrs. June is retiring. She not only knows each child by name but knows something about each one of them too. She has helped us so much in helping us figure out how to help our kids do their best. The teachers have been really creative and collaborative in helping us solve any issues. My kids are extremely happy at Spicewood.

Posted May 29, 2013

Negative experience all year long: un nurturing environemnt. The extra curricular are a joke, only opened to certain grades. Chess starts at 6.30 AM. The Spanish club is only for 5th graders. The majority of teachers are being moved grade regularly. This school si a very big disappointment compared to his old reputation. Parents are snobby and some come to school on their golf carts !!

Posted May 28, 2013

Horrible environment for younger children, very competitive and mean to the kids. Most teachers are new to the profession, at any age, and very limited in terms of knowledge of the IB. The Spanish teaching is every 6th school day for 20 min in English adn 20 min of numbers, colors and basic review over and over. The books they sent home to read with the kiddos are not even level appropriate. I would not recommend this school for anyone.

Posted May 28, 2013

If there was a ZERO star button, I would use it. We are so happy Ms. June is leaving. She is a mean, unethical, uncompassionate, old-school, very strict hypocritical, the worse Principal I have ever known. She bullied and ridiculed Kidnergarderners in front of me and did not listen to parents' comments. We are so glad she is leaving. This school has a loud reputation for nothing. We are very disappointing in the level of acadmics and the IB program (is a joke). We strongly do not recommend you to put your child there.

Posted July 24, 2012

My kids love going to Spicewood. Mrs. June is an amazing leader. She knows every child personally. All of my kids' teachers have been exceptional. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted May 27, 2011

This is one of the best schools in Round Rock / Austin area. I am impressed to see how my 1st grade child can read better than others in her level. I owe an appreciation to Mrs. Martinez, the class teacher, for it. My child continues building her self-confidence through the school's program. Mrs. Devine is the kindest counselor ever! She gave my child tickets for the spring carnival while I couldn t afford it. That one moment turned my little kid to be a sympathetic & compassionate human being. Unfortunately, Mrs. Devine is retiring and will not go back to the school next year. I highly recommend this school.

Posted May 16, 2011

Its a very very good school. I have two kids going to spicewood and I am I am very impressed seeing how much attention teachers pay to each kid. One of the best elementary school of Austin and Teaxs

Posted October 3, 2009

Mrs.June is a great principal because she is dedicated and compassionate towards the children. This makes for a great environment for the children. We have had some wonderful teachers at Spicewood and my daughter's fifth grade teacher has mailed every student in the fifth grade class a postcard at the beginning of each school year, for the last six years!!! This is only one example of the dedicated and caring teachers at Spicewood Elementary school. Any praise and any prize is well deserved.

Posted May 19, 2009

My 8 year old son is currently attending Spicewood and all I can say is that the staff and teachers are top notch! Great environment with great people.

Posted November 21, 2008

I have had one child go to Spicewood, K - 5th, another currently in 3rd and one who will start next fall. I LOVE this school! There are lots of opportunities for the kids and parents to become involved. There are bunches of clubs for the kids to participate in and the parents are encourage to join and volunteer through the PTA. My experience has been positive almost 100% of the time. Communication and dialogue was encouraged when we had a big issue and I felt it was completely resolved. I feel like my children will be completely ready for the next step! Kudos to Spicewood -- our family LOVES you!!!

Posted April 4, 2007

My kids have been at Spicewood for 4 years and we love it. Lots of communication between teachers/staff/parents. We are an IB school and learning has benefited from getting this. We get Spanish classes and questions are encouraged. Lots of extras are brought in like authors to read their books, bands, dancers, plays. We don't know how we could find a better school private or public. Currently it is crowded but hopefully that will change with redistricting due to happen in May. I always feel very welcome at school and the rules and regulations were made clear from day one in a booklet sent home.

Posted December 27, 2006

I had a son that went there and was in Mrs. Mikulencak class kinder. He was really doing well as far as making friends and loving school. We took him out for varies reason. We as parents didn't feel as welcome to be involved in our child's education, as what was communicated that they are trying to accomplish from other parents. We were not given the rules of the school, we had to ask other parents that were there. There were many times we got in trouble with the principal because we didn't know. Again, our level of parental involvement was encouraged but not received. His teacher seem like she was scared to communicate with us. It was a disheartening experience.

Posted November 21, 2006

Many schools slipped from Blue Ribbon status when the state test requirements changed a couple of years ago. This happened across both AISD and RRISD, and isn't really the fault of the administration. I'm pleased with my daughter's progress in Kindergarten and first grade. They have included a lot of extra opportunities for learning (superstar math, etc.) There is a lot of opportunity for parental involvement, especially in K and 1st. Spicewood has a great PTA and a lot of dedicated volunteers. Lots of popular extracurriculars, such as chess club.

Posted February 17, 2006

Spicewood is a wonderful school. i am appauled with the schools standards. The school now offers spanish class which has provided very impressive results. The teacher works closely to all students to insure academic advancement. I, as a parent strongly recommend this school

Posted February 1, 2006

Long time ago was a Blue Ribbon school. But standards have slipped. Leadership is not strong to drive changes and results

Posted August 20, 2005

Very good school. The best things I like is the teacher. My daughter's teachers really teach kids based on students level so every student can learn most. The students come to kindergarden have wide range of previous learn history. Some stay in private school for years and some do not know ABC. It is hard for the teachers to teach. The teachers in Spicewood do a great job let every student can learn new staff what ever his/her lever.

Posted August 16, 2005

Quality of Academic programs: high-quality Good availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities. Very high level of parent involvement. Very oriented towards inclusion of all parents- most events are in the evenings.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

101 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

99 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

128 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

131 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

129 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

125 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

124 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

125 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Not economically disadvantaged99%

Asian97%
White97%
Economically disadvantaged80%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Male97%

Multiracial100%
Not economically disadvantaged99%
Non-Gifted99%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 30% 4%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 7%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

11601 Olson Drive