Austin, TX

Posted May 01, 2014
My children went to Purple Sage when we moved back from Lubbock in the mid-80s. I volunteered during my military convalescence and was struck by the personal commitment of the teachers and their associated staff. I've been associated with the school as a volunteer tutor since 2005. This school has gotten better every year. The best is this year, with Dr. Arnoldo Barrera as principal.

Posted June 01, 2013
I was a bit concerned that PS wouldn't be as good as Spicewood, but boy was I wrong. Class sizes are smaller and my kiddos get extra hands-on attention. I'm so happy my kids are going to a smaller school.

Posted April 23, 2012
"Recognized" status and moving up! This smaller sized school offers great student/teacher ratios, experienced teachers, and a true sense of community. PS gives both of my children the individualized education that they require. The art, music and TAG teachers are exceptional and the dual language program is a fantastic opportunity for both native Spanish and English speakers and a good alternative to the AP campuses in the district. The middle school and high school (one of the best rated in the nation) are in close proximity, making it convenient for a large family.

Purple Sage Elementary School 1

Posted March 07, 2011
My son has gone to Purple Sage for almost 2 years now, kindergarten and 1st grade. I am shocked at how the teachers and administrators quit on a student that is having a hard time. We have done everything that they asked us to do, and they have done nothing that has been asked of them. I am appalled at the lack of communication and lackadaisical attitude of the teachers at this school. I would recommend finding a school with teachers and administrators that actually care about the kids that they are in charge of. I gave them a one rating only because it would not let me give them a lower score.

Posted March 05, 2011
Our daughter has thrived here for the past two years. We are especially happy for the dual-language program that started this year. The school as a whole has a very safe community feel to it. Teachers and office staff know all of the students, and if there's a problem, they deal with it in a proactive, respectful way. I think they have one of the best music teachers in the district, too. We're amazed with our daughter's love and knowledge of music from school.

Posted September 30, 2010
excellent school. wonderful teachers and very helpful staff members. This is a wonderful school and I just hope that the school distrect we are now moving to is aleast half the school Purple Sage is.

Posted April 27, 2010
We have one child who's about to graduate to middle school and one in 2nd grade. As others have said, the rating do not do this school justice. The teachers at PSE care a great deal about their students and their success. The classes are smaller and the overall school size is smaller so students get much more attention than they would at other schools. The ESOL has pros and cons but it allows students to understand the concept of diversity and the opportunities and challenges that exist in the real world - something we thing is important. We love the 'specials' programs: Art, PE and Music, that our kids get to enjoy and that continues into middle school. Although PSE may not be the newest, biggest or fanciest school in the area or district, it is filled with commitment and focus on the kids and that's what matters most.

Purple Sage Elementary School 0

Posted April 13, 2010
We just moved to a school that was highly rated (9-10) and are soooo much happier at Purple Sage. My kids are in 2nd and 5th grade. At the other school all I heard about was their weaknesses with little attention paid to their strengths. Here their strengths are nurtured and there is a whole different 'caught you being good' atmosphere that has helped my kids be relaxed, happy and enthusastic about learning that wasn't quite there with the previous school. Don't just go be ratings - look at what the parents are saying too.

Purple Sage Elementary School 4

Posted April 25, 2006
good school, internationally oriented, but weak on teacher communication

Posted April 21, 2006
My child has been at this school for 1 year. He has blossomed. Thanks to the wonderful staff and teachers! Purple Sage is also a bilingual school and has approximately 100 enrolled in the spanish bilingual program. They have really given these bilingual students a great start to their future in life and in their education. The principal leadership has been very good. The communication among parents/guardians is and has always been an open one. The students are in a safe & healthy environment. Purple Sage just had their 25th Birthday. Thanks Purple Sage!

Purple Sage Elementary School
11801 Tanglebriar Trail, Austin, TX  78750
Last modified Purple Sage Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Purple Sage Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top