Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 04, 2016
Thanks to Michael Ota. He has been very supportive, great attitude and always willing to help and go the extra mile.

Posted March 08, 2016
I actually struggled somewhat academically and socially in Middle School. I was a bit apprehensive about attending Westwood because of it's reputation and my family and I didn't really know how I would do. After three years here, I think it's amazing and I am so glad this is my school. I guess all schools have their problems but I think all of my teachers (Pre-Ap and AP) really do care and have taught me a lot. One teacher and course or program has really helped me so much more than any other so I have to mention them. The Air Force JROTC program here is truly amazing. We got a new Senior instructor and he is doing so many things for us and this program. He really cares about us and pushes us to not only do our best, but make mistakes so we can learn from them before we graduate. I would probably have been lost in high school and not ready for the real world if I had not taken AFJROTC. The life skills they teach will definitely help me no matter where I go after this and I am having a blast while doing it! We receive academic credit and learn useful skills and information. We do a lot for the community and have a lot of fun and, I am earning a Letter in JROTC too! I think you will find your place wherever you look. I found mine and am so thankful! To me, Westwood is a challenging school but can be fun and eye opening as well. It is definitely helping prepare me for my next steps in life!

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted February 02, 2016
If you do take IB, you'll have a great teacher freshman year. Still one of my favorites.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted February 02, 2016
While it is a highly competitive school, flying solo will not work and mutual help is of the utmost importance. You will often see honor students helping those trying to raise their own ranks.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted February 02, 2016
Team work is near-essential to staying near or above the rest. Flying solo is almost not an option entirely. While this seems anarchic, it actually creates an honor system in which mutual benefaction is prioritized over everything else.

Westwood High School 4

Posted February 02, 2016
Let me give you a rundown of the school from an inside perspective. -We have an enourmous amount of clubs, many of which remain undocumented on the website and are at times a myth except to only the members of said club. Regardless, there are more than enough to satisfy you. -Our sports teams are usually hit or miss. Some years they're amazing, others, not so much. Regardless, the football team is really the only one who suffers from such a heavy academic atmosphere, and most others actually benefit of the energy that students exert on their studies. -Fine arts has always been a strong point for us, as we have one of the best marching bands in the district, an orchestra that formed almost 50% of the All-State orchestra, and extremely intricate drama and choir programs. -IB. Ok, we get it, one of the few schools that offer the IB curriculum, so you should take it, right? No. Most upper level IB classes can be, or definitely are more work than standard AP classes. Is that a bad thing? Of course not. But if you are a GPA-grinder, its best to just take AP. -Everyone has heard of it, the heavy academic pressure that is placed on many students. It has to be expected, when the difference between top 7% and not is close to 0.01 GPA points. If you are not prepared or do not want to be in the top couple percents, you either give up and deal with the ranking that you get, or move to a different school. It is not wrong to move, as many of my close friends who could not deal with the pressure did exactly that. -Finally, westwood truly is a unique experience. I have had friends from many different districts, counties, states, and even countries, and it really doesn't compare. Though the experience is taxing and can ruin all but the dedicated. You really need to find a way to balance your life ASAP or you are unlikely to find success here.

Posted June 11, 2014
Westwood has to be experienced to be believed. I mean this as a very positive thing. Graduates are more than prepared for life after HS, particularly life at a competitive college or university. Parents, educators, and administrators who are heavily involved and with a single goal- making Westwood the best HS it can be. A diverse student population with oceans of extracurricular activities available. Yes, competitive beyond belief but it pays off, even if the student and parent don't realize it at the time. When your child graduates from Westwood, colleges know they've been challenged. They readily recognize the name and reputation, an amazing fact given the sheer volume of schools in a state as populous as TX.

Posted May 10, 2014
This is one of the best high schools in the nation. The students here learn to succeed in all facets of life.

Westwood High School 1

Posted March 24, 2014
This school is absolutely the worst thing you can put yourself through. I am an A /B student with a GPA of 5.1 and I am outside of the top ten percent. In order to set yourself above the rest, say goodbye to sleep and extracurricular activities as school will take up more then 8 hours daily. The stress level is so high that peer pressure to get high isn't needed, many kids are searching for an escape from this place. Please do you child a favor and don't make the mistake my parents made by sending me here.

Westwood High School 2

Posted October 27, 2013
If your child is very high achieving, independent and motivated, they'll do fine. If they are anything other than that, they will struggle. This school caters to the elite, it is not set up for students who need any kind of help. The instruction is almost non-existent. Students are expected to listen to 90 minutes lectures and in some cases they are just given materials and expected to teach themselves. There is no attempt to make classes interesting or to vary teaching styles. Many of the teachers are not in touch with current technology. To put the competitive nature of Westwood in perspective: a friend's son was in all AP classes and achieved A's and B's. He is in the bottom 50th percentile of the class. You must be TAG/IB/AP and achieve only A's to be in the top 10% at Westwood. My son was also in the marching band, but the directors were very authoritarian, handing out disciplinary referrals and assigning Saturday detention for things like laughing, talking, or even playing the wrong music accidentally. The assistant principals backed them up, even while admitting that the punishments were very excessive. This school will kill your child's love of learning.

12400 Mellow Meadow Drive, Austin, TX  78750
Last modified Westwood High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.