Posted January 06, 2014
I recently moved here with high expectations and ready for a great year ahead at this high school but i soon realized this school wasn't as great as i thought. The teachers are very rude and they do not care about any of the students progress. When its lunchtime, you cannot leave the cafeteria unless you have a pass which never happens. How does the school expect their students to become independent and to grow up to be successful if they won't even trust the students to leave the lunchroom. I've witnessed many forms of physical and verbal bullying at this school. It's also very crowded and i feel unsafe going here.

Posted September 13, 2013
My son just began his freshman year and, so far, we love it. Teachers are involved and communicative. Great academics, support and plenty of extra curricular activities, clubs, and sports. My son is not a football player and, so far, he has not experienced any of the bullying from students, or apathy from teachers, mentioned by the previous parent. In fact, I'm not certain how anyone could allege that the school is not focused on academics, on August 24th, when classes did not even begin until August 26th. It seems a rather premature and unfair assumption. Again, our son's experience, at McNeil, is just beginning, and only time will tell..... But, thus far, we are very happy, hopeful, and excited about the next four years.

Posted August 24, 2013
Disorganized, overcrowded, and unsafe. Principle is incompetent and rude to parents. Teachers don't care if students learn and take care of their friends' kids & forget the rest. Focus is on cheer leading and football, not academics. Cheerleaders come to school in very revealing outfits and TONS of makeup (14 year olds in false eyelashes!) and openly flirt with male teachers. Football players roamed the freshman orientation looking for "victims" joking with each other about what would be fun to do to certain kids. They antagonized my son and others who were trying to find their lockers. They are given freedom to do as they please and bully at will with no consequences. Not a good choice if you're looking for a safe, academic focused school.

Posted May 06, 2013
This school was so terrible when I went there (2011-12), I ended up graduating online just so I don't have to deal with that mess. Fellow students would rather pretend not to hear you than to see what you want, the teachers don't care if you actually learn or not, they just want you to do good on the TAKS, the principal treats the student body like 12-year old delinquents, the campus police force has officers that unnecessarily intimidate students, the bus drivers seem like they were hired right off the street of downtown Austin, and the atmosphere gives you an unneeded "down" feeling. One time I was sent to ISS (It was my fault, nothing the school did wrong here) for three days, and one day when lunch was sent up to us all we got was two slices of bread, a slice of cheese and an apple. The ISS supervisor gave off a frustrated sigh when we told him that we did not get meat in our sandwiches, and when he came back with the proper lunches, he literally threw them onto a desk like they were a backpack. The district also lies to students about policies, for example we were told that if RRISD was not independent, the student body would be forced to wear uniforms. I hope they change soon

Posted March 26, 2013
McNeil is pretty awesome. My son goes there and loves it. They have a policy that EVERY student be involved in some extracurricular activity. I think this is a great policy because it keeps teenagers out of trouble when they are involved in something they enjoy.

Mcneil High School 2

Posted November 16, 2012
I have had one child who went 4 years there and one currently enrolled and have not had a good experience. They give the impression to me of not caring (not responding to emails, meetings where people didn't show up, and treating kids with medical problems as if they were causing trouble on purpose) I would NOT recommend McNeil.

Posted January 26, 2011
I loved all my teachers at McNeil and always felt safe, and challenged intellectually in the class room! I definitely enjoyed my four years here.

Mcneil High School 0

Posted October 13, 2010
It has great kids, a variety of activites for all kids - theater, performing arts, sports and even FFA. I have been to see it all!

Mcneil High School 2

Posted July 30, 2009
I finished my Freshman year there, and I have never hated school more. Some teachers would never be there on time, and there's too many students. The class average size is around 24-30 students. It's makes it very hard to learn, and uncomfortable. I had my worst school experience there, and am not going back next year. I wouldn't send any child there.

Posted June 02, 2009
Challenging academics. Down to earth students. Excellent band and choir programs.

Mcneil High School
5720 McNeil Drive, Austin, TX  78729
Last modified Mcneil High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mcneil High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews.