Posted August 27, 2013
I'm surprised by some of the reviews, I think 5 to 10 years ago there were problems at Deerpark and the wealthier students/families called it "ghetto", but it has really become a family in the last few years under Sonya Hayes' leadership. It was recently named a Texas and a National Middle School to Watch because of the great things the teachers and staff are doing. It is very diverse; socially, ethnically, and economically so there are challenges that some of the wealthier, more homogeneous schools in RRISD don't face, but Deerpark has great students, great staff, and a great principal - and when you look at which middle school the Valedictorians and Salutatorians at McNeil HS have attended, the vast majority over the last decade have been Deerpark students. The students get a great education, both from the books & the great technology learning that is going on, but also from the real world experience & exposure to so many other students of different backgrounds. It is a wonderful school that is still plagued by a decades old reputation. And as one of the other parents said, it gets better every year!! My third and fourth kids are at Deerpark right now and they love it.

Posted August 12, 2012
Deerpark has done an excellent job in preparing my child for high school. The teachers are awesome and the principals and counselors care about the kids. It has been a good experience for our family.

Posted May 07, 2012
I go to deerpark and NOT ONCE HAS anyone said that we were a "good " school or a " nice " school so i dont get why people think we r fake and " ghetto" we just a little under buhjet and we can ALL WE RICH so please everyone who disses deerpark - buzz off!

Posted September 21, 2010
Deerpark has made strong improvements over the last three years and has done a great job with my student.

Posted April 30, 2010
every year at deerpark middle school .it gets better and better.and if you been here before from last year. you should see this year. it has improved allot. the classes are great. and the teachers are great too. but the lunch ladies can be mean.

Posted February 16, 2010
Hello, I'm a student at Deerpark Middle School (8th grade) and I would like to defend our school against the comments made against it. Our school has been called ghetto many times before, and this statement is downright false. Look at our TAKS scores- we scored higher than Canyon Vista on Science TAKS. Our school may be of mixed races, but that does not mean that we are 'ghetto.' I'm currently taking Leadership, a great class offered to eighth graders, and it has really opened my eyes up to how amazing our school really is. The teachers are great, caring people who prepare us for high school. We have nationally ranked teachers who portray the material in a very distinctive way. Say what you want about this school, but we are a very great community with great classes offered and fantastic teachers who care about each and every student.

Deerpark Middle School 2

Posted February 08, 2010
Over the past 2.5 years, we have had trouble with the Staff vs students in whole. Some students are picked out and then comntinued to be prejudged. We have had children at Deerpark Middle school over the past years. But now we have a child who does not want to be at deerpark, due to false and continued threats by staff. The school has lost it's love , caring and motto's to which it says and hangs in the school. I recommend you which your child out to another school. Ps There are many good teachers at Deerpark that this hurts.

Deerpark Middle School 1

Posted May 17, 2009
My daughter has had a lot of problems at this school. She calls it a ghetto school. Academically it seems fine but the social scene for the kids does not seem to be a positive one.

Deerpark Middle School 1

Posted August 24, 2008

Posted February 24, 2008

Deerpark Middle School
8849 Anderson Mill Road, Austin, TX  78729
Last modified Deerpark Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Deerpark Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top