Austin, TX

Kiker Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 25, 2015
They're special needs practices do NOT meet the academic, social or emotional needs of children on the autism spectrum.

Kiker Elementary School 1

Posted May 25, 2015
If you have a child with Autism Spectrum Disorder do NOT send him to Kiker. They have a profoundly systemic dependence on excessive use of physical restraints on children with ASD and anxiety. He was physically, emotionally and mentally harmed at Kiker. They have inadequate and poorly trained staff and put their resources and priorities on getting neurotypical students to test well. PLEASE do not put your ASD child at Kiker.

Posted January 19, 2015
I have a 4th and a 1st grader at Kiker and we love it. We are new this year and were nervous about our 4th grader getting used to a new environment as she has a very hard time with change and getting involved in new groups. Her teacher, Ms. Jeffrey, is the bomb. She loves the kids and lets them know who is in charge. Our daughter loves her and takes her classwork seriously. This has been the easiest year for us since she started school. Our 1st grader is pretty happy go lucky and enjoys her teacher, Ms. Watson. Her reading has improved dramatically since being in her class. The staff at Kiker are kind. They listen to our concerns and give us honest answers. We recently had a death in the family that was very difficult for my kids. They have been so understanding and gentle with our children during this time. I cannot explain how helpful they have been during the process. We live about half a mile from the school and our kids frequently ride their bikes or walk to school. It has been great exercise and exciting for them to gain a tiny bit of independence. We love it here.

Kiker Elementary School 2

Posted August 28, 2014
Perspective from Dad. As with plenty of parents, we wanted our children to go to one of the best elementary schools in Austin! Expectations were high from both my wife and I, as well as our children. I must say that we're not impressed with the quality of leadership, behavior of the children and parents, but most importantly the quality of education for the amount of money we pay to live in Circle C. The complete chaos and noise in the cafeteria at lunchtime is abhorrent. When was the decision made to take away the control of the caf' monitors to maintain order and a level of ear comfortability, and instead give them mustard and ketchup bottles to "serve" the kids of Circle C. What are the kids learning by this practice? The GT program is not pushing our kids to think decisively or with multiple perspectives of the world we live in, but is actually giving the kids an extra Bonus Problem at the end of a worksheet! Test scores show Kiker to be exemplary, but so is St Elmo Elementary. There seems to be an issue with kids with major behavioral problems (I believe stemming from the parents), and leaving our kids to have a "par" education. We can not recommend this school.

Posted June 08, 2014
My daughter just completed the 3rd grade at Kiker and my youngest will start Kinder in the fall. I continue to be impressed with the high caliber of teaching and genuine compassion displayed each year by my daughter s teachers. Whenever I comment about the family feel of Kiker and how incredible our experience has been at the school, her teachers give credit to the principal for her leadership, vision for the school, and love for the students. We are extremely grateful to be at a school that cares just as much about our children s academic success (by teaching our kids to love learning and knowledge, instead of just teaching to the test), as well as their character development through kindness, dignity & respect!

Posted February 21, 2014
We moved the Circle C to attend Kiker and have not been disappointed. Our two children have thrived. They have been loved, educated and cared for. The Principal and the Admin staff are very professional, set a great tone for the school and know each and every child individually. The school itself has a great feel to it, the facilities are great and parental involvement is highly encouraged. I feel that Kiker is a great stepping stone into preparing my children to excel in Middle School, High School and life. I thank my lucky stars every day that my children are going to such an outstanding school and get to spend their day with such devoted and dedicated educators.

Kiker Elementary School 1

Posted October 09, 2013
This school can either be great or horrible for you. If you want your child to be a drone, with no personality, never using their creativity or reasoning skills then by all means send them here. If you are more concerned with test scores than your child developing into a well rounded little person than this is the school for you. If you think the definition of a good school is hours of homework every night, complete silence in the classroom at all times, drill sergeant like teachers, and adult like 6 year old - then you have found your perfect school. If this does not sound like what you are looking for then send your child to Patton Elementary near the soccer fields by the YMCA in Oak Hill. It's a short drive and your child can be more of a kid, yet still be challenged academically. To me this is was a more caring, creative, and nurturing environment. And guess what? They still test great!

Posted September 30, 2013
We have had nothing but positive experiences at Kiker for the past 3 years. I am impressed with the leadership of the principal and her over arching message of treating others with kindness, dignity and respect. We have had wonderful teachers and have been impressed with the level of involvement of parents.

Posted September 26, 2013
My children both switched to our neighborhood public school, Kiker Elementary, after many years in a Waldorf school. I was concerned about their transition into a large public after all their years at Waldorf. I was immediately impressed with Kiker, from the minute I enrolled my children for school. First, the principal and the counselor took the time to sit down and have a meeting with us, to address our concerns. Every spring, the teachers and administration sit down together and hand pick each student's teacher for the next year. They did this for my children as well, placing them both with amazing teachers. Academically, they're first rate, but it's the sense of community that i appreciate the most. Children are greeted by name, parents are made to feel welcome and encouraged to volunteer at the school. The principal begins each and every morning with an assembly to discuss with the children issues such as treating others with "dignity, kindness, and respect", and always encouraging and expecting the students to do their best. Teachers are smiling, children are laughing, my children thrived and continue to do so at Kiker. I am forever grateful for the amazing staff!

Posted September 26, 2013
Kiker has been a wonderful school for my daughter for 5 years and my son for 2. We have been lucky enough to have teachers that have gone the extra mile to make a difference in helping my kids learn. Programs like Take Flight for children with dyslexia, is just one extra I wouldn't expect at a public school. The teachers are really dedicated to making sure that all children of all levels have a chance to learn. Parent involvement is amazing as well. If you don't jump on an opportunity to volunteer for something, the spot will be taken in no time! Both my kids love it!

Kiker Elementary School
5913 La Crosse Avenue, Austin, TX  78739
Last modified Kiker Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kiker Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top