Posted September 18, 2014
I couldn't be happier with our choice to transfer to Covington; I almost regret we didn't come sooner. We've not experienced one real disappointment, from interactions with office staff, counselors, teachers, principal and vice-principals to feeling welcomed to participate as a parent volunteer as much as I like around the school. The teachers are still smiling at the end of the day - they want to be there! Email communication with any staff member is very effective. Walking the halls, the place feels bright, clean, well-orchestrated. The students seem happy to be there, the bands are amazing, the art produced is incredible, the theater productions fun. Even though I have one child who prefers math/science and another child strong in language/arts, there are so many engaging choices to try, for both stimulation needs!! I love Covington and am proud to have children there.

Posted May 29, 2014
Covington is a great school. The new principal and teachers have gone above and beyond to bring the year to a close in a positive way. The PTA has really changed and as has sponsored some new fun events and scheduled new programs for the school next year. My kids are sad they won't be there next year. Great learning atmosphere!

Covington Middle School 3

Posted May 06, 2014
This school has come a long way in recent years. It has suffered from bad attitudes and sluggishness; too many teachers and staff (not all) have minimized their personal accountability and have been cutting corners. Naturally, some of these characteristics have carried over to the students. However, there have been several retirements (at midterm-see what I mean-uncaring). Now there is a new, enthusiastic and caring principal that has already made noticeable improvements. The future is bright!

Covington Middle School 4

Posted September 17, 2013
Covington is an amazing school with dedicated teachers who incorporate the latest instructional practices and go above and beyond to meet their students' needs. I have never failed to be treated with courtesy and respect by them. The fine arts students produce some of the best quality plays, music, and visual art I've ever experienced at the middle school level! What a tribute to the Covingtons! The kids look great in their clothes, too. They adhere to the AISD dress code now. Finally, Covington serves a diverse student population, one that accurately reflects the racial makeup of Austin. What a beautiful rainbow!

Posted December 11, 2012
Over the last 8 years I had 3 children attend Covington and I saw how the teachers and principals created a school culture of creativity and caring. And then in my last 2 years I saw how the Fine Arts classes, especially Theater, exploded. I am so lucky my daughter had been a part of the Theater, Band, and Art classes at Covington. Also, I'm an academic intervention tutor who's worked with hundreds of students and attended parent teacher conferences at many different schools. In comparison, Covington teachers are the best; they understand what it is to differentiate instruction for students who have dyslexia and ADHD, plus they value students who come from different backgrounds and experiences. They possess a combination of high expectations and warmth that has helped my 2 dyslexic sons and my ADHD daughter thrive and become successful in middle school, high school, and now college. I can't help but be grateful for all they've done for me and my children! By the way, the dress code is much better than it used to be.

Covington Middle School 3

Posted March 20, 2012
This is a fantastic school. From a few of the reviews below it appears parents mad about dress code (which your child, adult will follow one for the rest of their lives) and then throwing blame on school. Take reviews with a grain of salt. Most people who write reviews do so when they are mad no when they are pleased. P.S. some of these reviews are so old they are pointless. They discuss details that no longer apply to this school. If you want a feel for the school, visit it!

Posted March 12, 2012
This school is horrible. My daughter was so excited to start middle school and now she hates going to school. She is an honor student and behaves in class so she is mercilessly picked on every day. The other reviews were spot on about administration. They are more worried about the over bearing dress code than the behavior of the students. I have tried to speak with the assistant principal and was dismissed and told if I didn't like the dress code I should attend the campus advisory counsel meetings. I also spoke with another assistant principal that said the exact same thing. Its like they have a script they read from when parents complain. It is very clear to me that nothing is going to change with this school. The counselor is great and does her best but the administration is so bad that nothing changes. I have tried to transfer to another school in my area that is a lot better but we didn't get the transfer because we were white and the only spots left were for minorities. Well I guess my white daughters education isn't as important as the minority students to AISD. It is very sad. I guess equality doesn't pertain to white students in AISD.

Posted February 09, 2012
This is a school where discipline takes priority over grades. The administration staff are unnecessarily rigid and quick to punish harshly. You are lucky if you get a phone call from an assistant principal, I did not once see or speak to the principal dispite my attempts and you will never have communications with the teachers. I have been consistently spoken to as if I were to be handled and shown the door rather than have my concerns heard and addressed. This has to be the worst schoolI have been involved with. It's a shame that they don't put our childrens education first. There are some genuinely good and wonderful teachers there, but they are overshadowed by the horrible administration. Do not put your child here if you want them to learn anything.

Posted January 27, 2012
Between the dress code and the staff, this school was a nightmare. Communication simply does not exist between the teachers, the staff and the parents. The assistant principal was quite rude and very condescending. Like most schools, some of the teachers are good, some are bad. However, it is difficult to keep up with what assignments are due or my child's progress when the parent connection information is not completed and there is little communication. We are moving out of this district as soon as possible.

Posted June 03, 2011
this is my first year at covington as a 6th grader and it has been a blast so many oppurtunities you make so many good friends.the teachers make learning fun and the great thing was that i was always exited for another day of learning

Covington Middle School
3700 Convict Hill Road, Austin, TX  78749
Last modified Covington Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Covington Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top