Austin, TX

Kocurek Elementary School 1

Posted December 14, 2014
This school has gone down hill! My daughter has been attending here for 3 years now and every yeartheres always something going on. From not even having a set principal or lack of communication and also more than anything lack in learning. They have so many kids in one class that they do not get the proper one on one time kids need. Every child learns differently.

Kocurek Elementary School 3

Posted May 09, 2013
Unfortunately, this is more of a rant than a rave! Both principals and counselor are awesome, but the office staff, cafeteria staff and Teachers seem to be very unhappy. I wish my child would receive a warm welcome by positive, up beat, smiling teachers and staff. Instead we see grumpy faces and boot camp drill sergeants in the hall ways and around the school. I think teachers forget that elementary age children still need a lot of social/emotional guidance and considering they are in school all day the only adult roles models they have are the teachers. It's no wonder students have behavior issues. If this school wants to be a "No Place for Hate" then their teachers and office staff should be required to take classes on compassion or at least learn to smile to make parents and students feel welcome. With good reason there is low parent participation at this school, if parents don't see happy teachers put a little extra effort why would we? I have seen an improvement with the school's PTA over the last 2 years or so and it seems like they're really trying, but even that is pretty disorganized. Flyers are sent home with little notice or after the event has already passed.

Posted February 17, 2010
Thank you Principal Summers for talking to our children about setting goals. I was in the office one morning and in your announcements you mentioned to all of the kids about setting goals whether it to do better on the next math test or something else in their lives. My children transferred last January with nine other students. I had visited the school twice last fall and the staff were understanding and personable. Ms Smith and Ms Baker have helped a lot this last month with getting our children adjusted to a new school. We are happy that our Kindergartener is reading now and knows her sight words, thank you Ms Baker. Both of our children are very happy now and eager to learn.

Kocurek Elementary School

Posted January 17, 2010
This school was horrible, horrible, horrible! The administration and staff did not respond to my child's needs properly. Our needs were ignored. This school is behind academically, and I am glad my child no longer has to attend. This school is a disgrace to AISD!

Posted April 27, 2009
I visited this school to observe recently and was very impressed. The faculty and staff are very personable and hospitable, and the students are very kind and obviously have been taught to respect each other.

Kocurek Elementary School 4

Posted May 08, 2006
Kocurek Elementary has been a great school for my son to start out in. Although, I have not always been fond of the ways some things are done there, both teachers my sons has had have done a terrific job. Mr. Quieroz Pre-K and Mrs. Lemoine - Kinder. They have excelled him completely.

Posted November 10, 2005
The teachers are experienced and the students are well behaved. Diverse school, involved PTA.

Posted October 07, 2004
Kocurek Elem. has the best teachers, a well rounded learning system, and an active PTA, that is growing in numbers and participation, every year! The school has ongoing 'lessons' for the staff. Whether it be on the latest test standards, how the students scored, what can be done to strengthen the weaker subjects/scores, & how can we make it more fun and still include the fundamentals; programs and speakers to educate the staff on new/different teaching skills to how behavior problems effect just the class, or family; events to encourage the parents to meet each other & also be able to benifit from the speakers & learning programs; Art, Music, P.E. and even the students get to benifit from speakers, tutorers, field trips, & many other programs related to the classes subject matter. They're the best! But they don't stop there. They continue to educate themselves to achieve even higher standards!

Posted October 04, 2004
As a single parent of a 3rd grader, I cannot say enough good things about Kocurek and the Koala staff. The commadery on campus is truly that of a close knit family between staff, students and parents. Ms. Heath and Ms. Davis are very intuitive principals who interact with the staff and students on a very personal level. Each student is individually important to them and as a parent you feel that comfort in knowing that your child's well being and education are in very good hands. It is nice returning every year and knowing that the same teachers are there. You will find teachers that have been there since the school opened. Margaret Hester is also a phenominal counselor who has helped my daughter through some very rough patches. The extra curricular teachers are awesome. The PTA and CAC board members are very commited to our school. -N Demmer

Posted January 22, 2004
Over a span of 12 years I have had 2 children at being an high academic performer (now 19) and one being a mainstreamed special needs child (now 10). Both children have received a solid, supportive elementary education, particularly attentive to each of their needs. This school has one of the best teaching staffs I have encountered during my parenting years. Administration is highly visible and there when you need them but allows the teachers to get their jobs done. Kocurek is the best!

Kocurek Elementary School
9800 Curlew Drive, Austin, TX  78748
Last modified Kocurek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kocurek Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top