Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted February 09, 2016
We chose to buy our house where we did because we like Kocurek Elementary and Akins High School. When we took the tour of the school we really enjoyed the faculty and staff. They are very Austin, super smart and down to Earth. The community of this school feels like Austin in a microcosm, a good representation of our community, with socioeconomic diversity. There is a guy down our block who drives a Tesla and another guy with an old chevy. It's definitely south Austin, and we like having our child in the mix with people from such a diversity of backgrounds. We are really world citizens and so it is comforting to us to know about the families in our school community from Russia and Vietnam and Mexico right beside our fourth generation Austinite daughter. My Dad remembers when Willie Kocurek used to be on the commercials saying,"You don't need a lot, just a little bit every month." There are a couple of events every year that bring together several hundred members of the Kocurek community, including the parents, grandparents, kids, staff, etc. These experiences are great and give you a chance to really feel like you are part of something beautiful and important in your child's life. It's a great community, a very Austin kind of experience. We love Kocurek!

Grateful to: School leader

Posted February 01, 2016
I think everyone at Kocurek is working hard to motivate all of these kids to do their best and apply themselves academically.

Posted February 01, 2016
Our son has attended Kocurek for the past two years, and we have been very happy with all aspects of the school thus far. We researched several schools in the area including private, and christian schools, and decided to see how things went at Kocurek. I believe some of the other outdated reviews do not reflect the current staff or necessarily the campus today. Parental involvement, being a member of the PTA, and volunteering at the school is very important, regardless of where the child goes to school - don't rely solely on the teachers, staff, counselor, and principal to do the job of a parent. Again, we highly recommend this school, and feel comfortable approaching anyone at the school with any concerns we have.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted January 31, 2016
My child has always been happy with all of his teachers. Kocurek is a hidden treasure with nice classroom sizes and teachers who have been there for many years. The teachers strive for excellence and set good exames.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted January 31, 2016
There have been only 2 incidents, in the past 5 years, that I had to bring to the attention of the teacher. Both times my concerns were addressed and resolved immediately with all parties feeling good about the solutions. I strongly feel that the teachers do love what they do.

Posted January 31, 2016
I love this school! My son started here in kindergarten and now he is in 4th grade and I am always welcomed there whenever I show up. I really enjoy volunteering and going on field trips.

Posted January 31, 2016
This school is a hidden gem. The teachers are great and our experience has been very good. Our son is making great strides in core subjects, but also enjoys music, art, the library, and PE. We looked at several different schools before deciding to send him to our neighborhood school and we have no regrets. The leadership of the school does a lot to promote a sense of community at the school and since it is a smaller school, there are a lot of opportunities for parents to be involved.

Kocurek Elementary School 1

Posted December 14, 2014
This school has gone down hill! My daughter has been attending here for 3 years now and every yeartheres always something going on. From not even having a set principal or lack of communication and also more than anything lack in learning. They have so many kids in one class that they do not get the proper one on one time kids need. Every child learns differently.

Kocurek Elementary School 3

Posted May 09, 2013
Unfortunately, this is more of a rant than a rave! Both principals and counselor are awesome, but the office staff, cafeteria staff and Teachers seem to be very unhappy. I wish my child would receive a warm welcome by positive, up beat, smiling teachers and staff. Instead we see grumpy faces and boot camp drill sergeants in the hall ways and around the school. I think teachers forget that elementary age children still need a lot of social/emotional guidance and considering they are in school all day the only adult roles models they have are the teachers. It's no wonder students have behavior issues. If this school wants to be a "No Place for Hate" then their teachers and office staff should be required to take classes on compassion or at least learn to smile to make parents and students feel welcome. With good reason there is low parent participation at this school, if parents don't see happy teachers put a little extra effort why would we? I have seen an improvement with the school's PTA over the last 2 years or so and it seems like they're really trying, but even that is pretty disorganized. Flyers are sent home with little notice or after the event has already passed.

Posted February 17, 2010
Thank you Principal Summers for talking to our children about setting goals. I was in the office one morning and in your announcements you mentioned to all of the kids about setting goals whether it to do better on the next math test or something else in their lives. My children transferred last January with nine other students. I had visited the school twice last fall and the staff were understanding and personable. Ms Smith and Ms Baker have helped a lot this last month with getting our children adjusted to a new school. We are happy that our Kindergartener is reading now and knows her sight words, thank you Ms Baker. Both of our children are very happy now and eager to learn.

9800 Curlew Drive, Austin, TX  78748
Last modified Kocurek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kocurek Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top