Austin, TX
Students enrolled: 2,895

Posted June 08, 2015
For the most part, Bowie is a pretty decent high school. STAFF The main office staff can be a little snooty but are generally nice. I would've liked for the counsellors and other administrative staff to take a more active approach in helping students with whatever they have questions for or need. ACADEMICS Academically I've found that AP classes have a great curriculum and dedicated teachers but a very big workload. Which can be very stressful stacked with other AP classes and extracurriculars. With regular classes teachers are more hit or miss. Some care and some don't and some are good teachers and some aren't. For me personally, I felt regular classes were slow even with my weaker subjects, but not worth the added stress of an AP class for a subject I already struggle with. The homework load is definitely smaller and easier at that but expect to have homework everyday for math classes. The gap between regular and AP is frustratingly huge but I think that's generally how it goes for most public high schools. EXTRACURRICULARS Extracurriculars at Bowie are pretty good all around. We have a broad variety of general fine arts and sports to culinary, JROTC, and FFA. The band is top notch. I'm not a band kid, but to be ranked the third best high school band in the US is something to recognize for sure. Everything here (including academics) is super competitive! And there are definitely teacher/coach favorites. But again that's just something you'll come across wherever you go. EVERYTHING ELSE Cafeteria food is bland, dress code is enforced, and the academics building hallways don't have air conditioning. But don't worry, the classrooms have air conditioning and so does the fine arts building which holds the gym and cafeteria. I haven't really witnessed bullying, but Bowie is a big school and I don't pay attention to everything that happens around here. Most students are generally nice, some can be snobby, but I wouldn't worry too much about bullying. All in all, Bowie is a pretty good school, crowded but good.

Bowie High School 1

Posted May 08, 2015
Terrible. There is no challenge here at all. Way too big. Pratically no homework ever. Horrible education.

Bowie High School 3

Posted December 01, 2014
Bowie has many excellent teachers, but my daughter is getting an uneven education. The Spanish teacher she had was unbelievably bad. Her AP English teacher has required ONE novel all semester. Teachers give easy grades to make up for student's bad grades instead of traipsing expectations. However her history teacher and physics teachers are caring and brilliant. Quite a few stellar students who would achieve anywhere and bring the school's reputation up. Great extra curricular programs. The school is getting too big fast.

Posted May 06, 2014
Bowie is a very good school with very good teachers. The counselors could be a lot more attentive and proactive with their assigned students. The principal could be more transparent and vocal with parents. You seldom hear from admin. 95% of news comes from the PTA.

Posted June 05, 2012
I traveled 300 miles to be at Bowie graduation. All sports, including golf were mentioned at graduation, The STATE PLAYOFF Lady lacrosse team was ignored and one ladydawg made All-American. No mention. I know about lacrosse and Title IX, but this is outrageous! Remarkable grouip of young ladies. Either the Supt or staff at Bowie giving her comments are totally clueless and cruel for their omission by not mentioning their hard work and barriers they overcame to make the playoffs.

Posted July 25, 2011
I will be going into my sophomore year this August. I really enjoy Bowie. I have a lot of friends there and most of the teachers are good (but not all!) The only problem I have is that they give us such a large workload. I am ALWAYS swamped with homework and I get super stressed out. On a typical day I spend about 4-5 hours doing all of my work. It's extremely competitive here and you have to work really hard in order to get a good ranking!
2 people found this helpful

Bowie High School 5

Posted July 17, 2011
My daughter is a 2011 graduate of Bowie and I felt that she received an excellent education and that the teachers and administration strive to provide high quality instruction and an abundance of excellent extracurricular activities to enrich the coursework. The band, art and athletic programs are fantastic and my daughter graduated with several scholarship offers from schools around the country. Her class was extremely competitive and set a new scholarship record for AISD by testimony of the Superintendent.

Bowie High School 5

Posted June 21, 2011
Among the more excellent schools in AISD.. .I'm disappointed in the budget cuts effecting Latin, German and some of the more important developmental curriculum. But nearly all schools appear to be suffering this crunch...

Posted October 09, 2009
I have two students at Bowie, a senior and a junior. I am surprised at the level of disappointment with the teaching staff expressed in other reviews. My children have had a number of excellent teachers at Bowie, several of whom I believe will serve as inspiring figures for them for the rest of their lives.

Bowie High School

Posted October 03, 2009
They have a great football program-my son loves it!

Bowie High School
4103 West Slaughter Lane, Austin, TX  78749
Last modified Bowie High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bowie High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top