Bowie High School 3

Posted December 01, 2014
Bowie has many excellent teachers, but my daughter is getting an uneven education. The Spanish teacher she had was unbelievably bad. Her AP English teacher has required ONE novel all semester. Teachers give easy grades to make up for student's bad grades instead of traipsing expectations. However her history teacher and physics teachers are caring and brilliant. Quite a few stellar students who would achieve anywhere and bring the school's reputation up. Great extra curricular programs. The school is getting too big fast.

Posted September 13, 2014
Bowie is a great school academically. My son loves the school and does very well here. I have no complaints about the academic education. But I do have concerns about their head basketball Coach Cellister Collier. He only chooses his favorites for his basketball team. He doesn't pick them based on skill but their what parents can offer him. His "tryout" system is not a tryout, it is just so that he can humiliate and shame those that he doesn't want on his team. The district should investigate his practices. He uses intimidation on students and parents that he doesn't think will benefit him. He has become a detriment to the team, the school and their basketball reputation It is time for him to retire. AISD needs to review his basketball program and tryout system. After speaking to many parents about this Coach, many parents are very dissatisfied. After people are in a job too long they become burned out and are no longer in it for the benefit of the students. He clearly has overstayed his welcome, the team needs someone young and new that can bring new ideas and policy changes to invigorate the athletics department.

Posted May 06, 2014
Bowie is a very good school with very good teachers. The counselors could be a lot more attentive and proactive with their assigned students. The principal could be more transparent and vocal with parents. You seldom hear from admin. 95% of news comes from the PTA.

Posted June 05, 2012
I traveled 300 miles to be at Bowie graduation. All sports, including golf were mentioned at graduation, The STATE PLAYOFF Lady lacrosse team was ignored and one ladydawg made All-American. No mention. I know about lacrosse and Title IX, but this is outrageous! Remarkable grouip of young ladies. Either the Supt or staff at Bowie giving her comments are totally clueless and cruel for their omission by not mentioning their hard work and barriers they overcame to make the playoffs.

Posted July 25, 2011
I will be going into my sophomore year this August. I really enjoy Bowie. I have a lot of friends there and most of the teachers are good (but not all!) The only problem I have is that they give us such a large workload. I am ALWAYS swamped with homework and I get super stressed out. On a typical day I spend about 4-5 hours doing all of my work. It's extremely competitive here and you have to work really hard in order to get a good ranking!

Posted July 17, 2011
My daughter is a 2011 graduate of Bowie and I felt that she received an excellent education and that the teachers and administration strive to provide high quality instruction and an abundance of excellent extracurricular activities to enrich the coursework. The band, art and athletic programs are fantastic and my daughter graduated with several scholarship offers from schools around the country. Her class was extremely competitive and set a new scholarship record for AISD by testimony of the Superintendent.

Posted June 21, 2011
Among the more excellent schools in AISD.. .I'm disappointed in the budget cuts effecting Latin, German and some of the more important developmental curriculum. But nearly all schools appear to be suffering this crunch...

Posted October 19, 2009

Posted October 09, 2009
I have two students at Bowie, a senior and a junior. I am surprised at the level of disappointment with the teaching staff expressed in other reviews. My children have had a number of excellent teachers at Bowie, several of whom I believe will serve as inspiring figures for them for the rest of their lives.

Bowie High School 0

Posted October 03, 2009
They have a great football program-my son loves it!

Bowie High School
4103 West Slaughter Lane, Austin, TX  78749
Last modified Bowie High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bowie High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top