Austin, TX

Posted May 24, 2013
Garza is amazing I was to the point of dropping out I came home one day extremely sad and wanted to give up when my mom told me I had an interview on the 3rd of April. I got accepted and went from there I have been at Garza not even a month and have completed three classes .this school is amazing. I no longer hate school and everyone is nice and we are just in there own world which helps. Thank you Garza for saving me I plan to be done in December or January:)

Posted February 02, 2013
I can't even begin explaining how wonderful Garza is. Garza has saved my education. I attended Anderson high school for my whole freshman year and part of my sophomore year. They let me fall through the cracks because I was a slow learner. I soon heard about Garza. They welcomed me last year with open arms. I am now excelling in my courses. At Anderson high school they ignored I was continuously failing my Math TAKS, however I'm actually getting help with Math TAKS at Garza. Everybody at Garza is there to learn and prepare for their future. The staff is so fantastic and helpful. Garza makes me want to wake up in the morning and learn. I can't thank them enough for how much they've helped me in my journey. I love every moment of attending that school. Dr. Webb is the best principal ever!

Posted October 28, 2012
The faculty and staff at Garza truly care about the students. They do everything that they can to give that student the tools and confidence that he or she needs to succeed.

Posted August 28, 2009
Garza was the best thing that ever happened to me. The students, staff, everyone was working to help me graduate. What makes this school different than the others is that Garza actually cares about the students well being. I attended Bowie before I came to Garza and immediately could tell that this was the school I had been looking for. Bowie was so focused on kids getting work done they weren't able to notice how much stress they put the students through. Garza has teachers that help the students one on one work and make effort to be friends with the students. There's also a section in the building made just for students to go in a talk to someone in a private room who are having trouble in everyday life. I'm also graduating a half a semester early. I am so thankful to go to Garza.

Posted August 04, 2009

Posted December 19, 2008
Garza is the dream school for the student, parents, teacher... Well everyone!... I've been at Garza since September of 2007 and am graduating in March in the top ten percent. The attention you get from all the staff from your teachers to counselors to admin is amazing for a public high school! The fact that at capacity we only have 300 students and that all are juniors and seniors helps alot. The normal high school drama, he said she said stuff is completely minimized. This high school has only had three physical fights between students since it was opened 10 almost 11 years ago, and all of those have happened off campus. As a student, you really feel like you're learning the material, instead of just memorizing for a test. This is deffinately not only the best school in Austin, but in America because of our success!

Garza Independence High School 3

Posted August 12, 2008
Best school on the East side of Austin. Was in a rough neighborhood, but this is now being gentrified and not as dangerous as it was a few years ago.

Posted May 14, 2008
Garza is definitely my top choice out of the four Austin high schools I attended. I went from being a homeless high school dropout to recently completing my freshman year of college with A's and B's. Not bad. I owe it all to Garza and the wonderful faculty and staff.

Garza Independence High School 1

Posted December 13, 2007

Posted March 27, 2007
Garza is a very exceptional school, my daughter has been in AISD her whole life and has been shoved into the cracks when it comes to getting an education. She wasn't slow enough to receive special help and wasn't quick enough to keep up with the pace the teachers were made to use. We even sent her to Silven Learning Center in the summer before 7th grade, it did help, but at $100 an hour we could only keep that up for so long. Then Garza came into our lifes and she has completely changed, she is graduating this may and will be attending college (something we were not sure she would ever want to do because of low self esteem. The whole Garza staff has an interest in every child that steps through that door and it sure shows in my daughter. I can only say THANK YOU GARZA HIGH!

Garza Independence High School
1600 Chicon Street, Austin, TX  78702
Last modified Garza Independence High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Garza Independence High School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top