No rating

St Louis School

Private | PK-8

Living in Austin

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $249,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $950.

Posted March 26, 2014

I have three sons who attend St. Louis School. My oldest is in 8th grade & has been there since Kindergarten. I have another in 5th who has been there since Pre-K, and my youngest is in Pre-K. I strongly recommend St. Louis! If you want a place to drop your child and have NO involvement in their education, then this is NOT the school for you. If you want to part of a community of parents, teachers, students & church, then this is the place for you. At St. Louis, people know and love your child. The teachers are wonderful and know your child s strengths and weaknesses. Of particular note is the outstanding principal, who was a teacher there before being promoted to Principal. I can t say enough about the guidance counselor. She knows and loves the kids and is a tremendous support to them and their families. She is an advocate for your child. The athletic director is one of the best role models you can find. The kids & parents love him. St. Louis is a gem in central Austin. It s been there for over 50 years. Your child will receive a quality, faith-based education, where they will learn self-discipline, respect for others, and a love for learning.

Posted March 19, 2014

The school has been good to us and has taught my children well. A solid education and Catholic teaching which is important to us. There is a lack of getting parents involved and getting to know one another. Most long time parents do not engage with new parents they stick to who they know and what is comfortable. Overall our children are happy and feel happy and safe at St. Louis.

Posted February 15, 2014

We enrolled our 7th grade son and 5th grade daughter to St. Louis after being at another catholic school for 8 years. It was extremely difficult for us as a family to leave our old school we love and treasure. However we felt our kids needed more interaction with more students and a larger environment to be in than where we were at. My children felt very comfortable from the start. The office staff is welcoming, knowledgeable and understood how we felt as parents. The faculty is just the same. The communication is great, not just from the administration but from the faculty as well. We know what's happening with the education on a daily basis and feel I can contact the faculty about anything I have a concern with. Most importantly, both my son and daughter were greeted and welcomed by their fellow students. They immediately got involved in extra curricular activities and feel like they have been with their classmates for more than just this year. Both my son and daughter have expressed how happy they are at St. Louis. I see it in their efforts and attitudes and see the results in their grades. Thank you St. Louis for making this HUGE change for us go smoothly; we appreciate it!

Posted January 14, 2014

Our daughter needed a change for her 8th grade year. When we toured St. Louis, I was blown away by how welcoming and caring the teachers and students were. During the summer before she started at St. Louis, school parents we had never met scheduled a dinner of 8th grade moms and daughters to welcome us to the school. They also donated school uniform pieces from their own daughters' wardrobe for my daughter to wear. Once she started school the teachers, the principal and the front office staff, down to a person, seemed to go out of their way to make us feel welcome. At the end of the school days I ask my daughter how school was and she always says, "great!" At open house every teacher we saw had something special to say about our daughter, even though they had known her only a couple of weeks. This school lives the Gospel in the loving kindness shown by students, parents, and staff. The academics have allowed the students to produce reports on topics they are interested in, so homework is more interesting for her. We have only been at St. Louis this year, but couldn't be happier.

Posted November 18, 2013

This is our ninth year at St. Louis School, and I have to say we are still very happy with our decision. Our children are in 4th and 7th grade this year. The school is diverse, affordable and centrally located in Austin. The teachers and staff are awesome. The curriculum really steps up a notch in middle school with a great team of teachers. My children are becoming well-rounded individuals as the school not only excels in academics but offers excellent opportunities in athletics, music and art. All this and with a strong foundation in faith make it one of the best choices in town. Thank you St. Louis School!

Posted November 14, 2013

Awesome Catholic School...I have two girls in the school, and we are very happy with the school. Especially, the teachers, curriculum, and extracurricular activities! Great central location too.

Posted November 3, 2013

This is our second year at St. Louis and we are happy with the progress that our boys have made. We have one in 4th and one in 7th grade. Overall the staff is friendly and truly care about the progress of each child. The students are wonderful and were very welcoming to our boys- I believe that to be a direct reflection of the teachers, their families and the religion based education they are receiving. Academically we can really see the progress especially for our 7th grader. Although for the most part we were happy with public school, we do regret is that we did not transfer our boys sooner to St. Louis- The Chapa Family

Posted November 2, 2013

St. Louis Catholic School in Austin provides a great educational environment for elementary and middle school students. Teachers are well involved in the academic as well as spiritual formation of their students. In that manner, an integral education is provided to help students mature during an early stage of life. The low student professor ratio helps to have a one to one mentoring with teachers, which I considered are well prepared in their teaching subject. The school has excellent sport facilities and a great location, with weekly church services and religion classes.

Posted October 31, 2013

St. Louis Catholic School is a jewel in central Austin. My family has had children attending the school for over 17 years! Things that I love about the school are: the teachers, the staff, and the Catholic environment. As a parent to 4 children, I am thankful for the wonderful faculty and staff that work diligently to create an environment that is nurturing, attentive, challenging and creative. We love this school!!!

Posted October 22, 2013

We have been in St Louis for 8 years and we are very happy with the formation our 4 children are receiving. The academic level is great and the teachers are amazing, really caring and enthusiastic people. We have encountered only positive experiences at St. Louis and feel blessed of having our children in it!

Posted October 18, 2013

We chose St Louis as a new school home for our children when we moved to Texas from New York a few years ago. We have been so happy that we did. Very welcoming to new students. The faculty and staff are dedicated to not only educating our children in their core subjects but also challenging them to be the best Christian individuals they can be. Excellent art program. Opportunities for music education. A sports program that focuses on teamwork and fun and allows participation by kids of all ability levels. The education at this school has prepared my children well for high school and for life!

Posted August 14, 2013

Teachers and office staff at St. Louis have been great. We've had great experiences with the administrators and our kids love the school. We're happy with the education our children receive and we highly recommend this school and are looking forward to starting a new school year.

Posted May 28, 2013

If you are new to Austin and seeking a quality K through 8 education for your child, I'd highly recommend St. Louis. The management and teaching staff are very professional, communicative and care about the child's performance. The curriculum is advanced and well balanced. Parents are very involved in activities, and there is a strong sense of community surrounding the school and Parish.

Posted May 25, 2013

Upon moving to Austin from the Midwest we desired to find the best faith based catholic school for our child. We have moved frequently and he had attended four other excellent schools. He was entering eighth grade and we were looking for a school where he could grow spiritually and academically. After touring numerous schools and being exposed to teachers and faculty we chose St. Louis. We were not disappointed. The teachers and staff are exceptional and loving. If you are looking for a strong faith based school with great teachers this is the school for you.

Posted January 25, 2013

What has most impressed me in our 12 years at St. Louis is how the school teaches to the whole child. Spiritual growth, strong morals & values along with educational performance are all important. I love attending the school mass with my children and stopping by the adoration chapel for prayers during the day. I

Posted June 25, 2012

If you are looking for a strong Catholic education and a solid academic education for your child(ren) DO NOT send them to Saint Louis. Another new principal this year but the same story all over. The Diocese should consider closing this school when they look at budget needs across the city and put the education dollars toward another campus. Do yourself and your child(ren) a favor and look at the public school you are zoned for or send them to Saint Theresa's.

Posted April 22, 2012

My children attended St. Louis Catholic School and they both went on to a competitive high school where they excell due to the basics that they learned at St. Louis. The community is very family-friendly, including non-traditonal families, no matter what your family status is. The students represent the diversity of our City. It's a great school and is centrally located with easy access from 183, Mopac, or I35. Check it out.

Posted April 2, 2012

Horrible. Expulsed my child after I had a disagreement with staff member. I recorded conversation. Feel free to reach out to me to hear for yourself. They are extremely discriminating with regard to race, marital statusand socioeconomic background. We are going to transition to a college-bound public school.

Posted June 1, 2011

My son will finish Kindergarten in 2 days, and it was a wonderful year for him. The teacher is excellent, and my son adores her. The new principal was selected this spring, and she was drawn from the faculty and has everyone's trust. She has started righting the ship. The whole school seems lighter since this change. As for academics, my son's standardized test scores were mostly in the 98/99th percentiles. The math and reading programs were excellent. My husband has been away for work a lot this year, and the school team really came together to support us. Communicating about all of these improvements in the community has led to increases in enrollments across the early grades, if this continues, the school will be back to its excellent roots in no time. We're definitely coming back for first grade. My son also loves the afterschool program.

Posted May 20, 2011

The school counselor did not return any of my calls or respond to any of my emails. Obviously she doesn't care and can't do her job! 3 prinicipals in 3 years. The administration is not stable and neither is the budget. The school needs an overhaul. Not only the adminstrative office has gone downhill but so has the quality of education

Asian or Pacific Islander 11% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (512) 454-7252

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Austin

• Rock band

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2114 Saint Joseph Boulevard