No rating

St Louis School

Private | PK-8

Living in Austin

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $249,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $950.

Posted April 4, 2011

My children have been at St. Louis School since kindergarten and are now in middle school. I have seen many changes over the years, some good and some not so good. However, I believe my children are being well prepared for high school and they have always been happy at the school. This year, the math program in the middle school was changed dramatically for the better. I am a research physicist and my husband is an electrical engineer, so math and science are very important to us. I can't believe how great the math is in middle school this year. What a change! Also, I am amazed with the science my kids are learning. Some of the concepts that my eighth grader is learning I did not learn until late high school. My kids are engaged, happy and learning. They love the sports program. I think this is a solid program that is really on an upswing with the new principal.

Posted February 8, 2011

My children have attended St. Louis for 4 years now. We absolutely loved it our first year here. Everyone was so welcoming and it made you feel great about sending your children to school here. However the changes made over this last year have been disheartening. THe new office staff has been out of reach and unaware since the last change in administration. Phones are not ansered, messages not returned, and emials not responded to. Weekly correspondance is late or not existant. Walking into the office it is chaotic and unorganized. I have no complaints of the teachers, they are wonderful educators and talented with handling the children. This is the 3rd principal in less than 6 months, let me just say: Get it together St. Louis Catholic School. My children will remain at St. Louis because of my confidence in their teachers, but i need to feel confident in the people responsible for them and i absolutely do not.

Posted January 31, 2011

I have been involved with St. Louis school for over 8 years. During our tenure, I have seen 3 principals come and go. The academics have slipped over the years. Weaknesses mainly in the secondary section of the school in particularly in Spanish, Math, and English. Way too much focus on the Fine Arts. The administration needs to come back to the basics of academics. Enrollment has steadily dropped over the past 3 years (mainly due to the last principal) and the loss of some quality teachers. The enrollment level is under 300, not 365 as stated above in the profile. If St. Louis will go back to the basics focus on academics (Math, Science, English and History) and NOT the arts and computers, it can be the school it once was.

Posted November 16, 2010

I currently have 2 children at St. Louis Catholic School. I have had 3 older children graduate from SLCS and they have all excelled at a private college prep school. A couple of years ago I decided to research the curriculum. I used the book "The Educated Child", by William J. Bennett(former Secretary of Education)as my guide. The office made the school curriculum available to me and I was very happy with what I found. I know the teachers need to bring that curriculum to the classroom, but in my experience, they have definitely done that. My final determination as to whether my children are receiving a strong academic education is the success that my older kids have experienced at a top notch college prep school. Our family has been at SLCS for over 10 years and have been very happy with all SLCS has to offer. It is a great environment for children to flourish both spiritually and academically.

Posted November 16, 2010

I have always been very happy with St. Louis Catholic School. The kindergarten teacher has taught for many years and is the perfect kinder teacher. Kinder has always had an aide in their class. My first child did not do so well in the standardized testing until about 4th grade, even even though he had all A's. He is now in high school in AP classes as an Academic Scholar as his school likes to say. Our second child is now a freshman and she is also doing very well at the same college prep high school. I know my children received a very good education at St. Louis and it did prepare them for success in high school. Our school is a very close community filled with faith, love and support for all.

Posted November 1, 2010

This school has a great community feel, lots of parental involvement. However, it is lacking academically. For example, my older child gets As in math, but scored very poorly on the standardized testing. She does well with what is taught, but the school is not teaching a challenging or even standard curriculum relative to other schools. My kindergarten child is in a class of 25 children.(17 boys). The teacher says she should be reading by Dec. She's been reading since the end of last yr, but the teacher is too overwhelmed to notice. Teachers are average, but I would give curriculum 1 star. Don't be fooled by 5 star reviews.written by those w/ an agenda..The fact that enrollment is down significantly speaks volumes! We are currently looking for a new school.

Posted August 18, 2010

St. Louis school is an excellent private catholic school. It has so much to offer your children. A great education , plus your children will learn so much about their catholic faith. I have had 2 boys graduate from St. Louis and will have a daughter graduate this year. It has been a blessing to me and my family to be part of the St. Louis Catholic school family..

Posted July 29, 2010

St. Louis Catholic School is a hidden gem located in the heart of central Austin. Caring teachers serve a diverse student body. Parent involvement is first rate. The principal knows every student by name and truly cares about them. It is a total family affair. My children have received a high quality education and have formed wonderful friendships. My closest friends are the parents from the school. There is an abundance of opportunity for parents to get involved. If you are looking for a safe, nurturing situation for your child and an excellent learning environment, St. Louis is the place for you. Check it out!

Posted June 11, 2010

Criticism on public websites can be skewed but the evidence demonstrates that low enrollment along with an exodus of students and teachers continue even after the debacle that took place two years ago. How many former St. Louis Catholic School students are now enrolled at Redeemer or other private/public schools? Review the facts and judge for yourself.

Posted June 1, 2010

Excellent Private Middle School. St. Louis Catholic School accepted my daughter as an Eighth Grade Student and she had a wonderful experience at the school. The children were warm and accepting, the kindest group of kids I have ever seen. The faculty were warm and loving, excellent teachers who inspired their students to learn. The campus is excellent, providing a large athletic field, gymnasium, library, and cathedral church. I am so pleased with my experience at St Louis Catholic School, particulary considering the low cost for attending the school. It is an excellent value.

Posted February 2, 2010

We had our children at this school for 14 years, I feel the school is effected by the lack of interest of parish support, decline in leadership, and lack of ability to retain and attract quality teachers, thus a decline in the academic and Christian environment.

Posted November 30, 2009

This school has really become a family again this year. There are so many things going on with the school. Students are happy and learning. The school focuses on virtues and the fruits of the spirit in all that they do. Students are recognized and challenged. Some new things this year were Red Ribbon Week, Homecoming Week, new after school music groups including advanced strings, guitar, piano, and choir, a yearbook club for students, High School Test Prep for the 8th graders, new Science curriculum, and a Writing and Grammar class for the older students in addition to teaching them Literature. The faculty and staff are helpful and go out of their way to support the students, even those with special needs. I am glad that my children attend this school.

Posted October 3, 2009

St. Louis has excellent diversity of cultures, especially for a small private school. Students and staff genuinely care about each other and want the school to succeed, in good times and in bad.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 2, 2009

Great staff, good price, wonderful caring teachers, unsupportive principal, condescending Father.

Posted August 19, 2009

Great Catholic school. The recent changes due to new new principal might appear as a little bit of a burden but overall they were a welcome improvement. If you want you child to be educated in an orthodox school then this is the place to be. If do not want to be involved with your child religious and academic education and you just want to delegate it to the school then you better find another place.

Posted March 3, 2009

This is a quality school that has a strong core group of faculty, staff and parents that work together to provide a great learning environment for the students. As with any school there are areas of improvement but there should no question about the focus on doing what is best for the children.

Posted February 20, 2009

I am appalled at the lack of response by the prinicipal, school board, pastor, and even the bishop to the valid concerns many other parents have raised. The reviews appear to be 5 to 1 against; however, we are not all irresponsible parents as implied by other posts. I am completely unhappy with the value for tuition spent. My child was not placed in the correct grade (via charter school transfer) because no testing was done until the end of October after poor grades reported on her first report card (under the former administration). My child received a better education from Sylvan tutoring. No field trip yet this year. The room parent left. In summary, I am dissatisfied with the value received for my treasure and see no opportunities to use my talents or time to help this school. My child (and my money) will be going to public school.

Posted January 30, 2009

We have pulled our children out of St. Louis after 5 years. The policy changes and lack of caring shown by the administration has reached such a level that there is no community left there. Christian values are to be found more at a public school than at this school given the current state of things.

Posted January 10, 2009

We pulled our child out of St. Louis after several happy years there. The teachers are awesome, but the new principal made the environment unbearable. The constant policy changes with little or no notice to the parents, the ridiculously strict uniform regulation enforcement, new detention policy, excessive reduction of physical activity, etc, made school life unnecessarily stressful for children and parents alike. All requests at reason fell on deaf ears. Thus, we decided to take our tuition payments elsewhere. We, and other families who have also left, felt the new administration was unashamedly hostile. We would strongly encourage parents to fully research St. Louis before enrolling your children.

Posted October 29, 2008

The reviews on this site are a reflection of how torn apart our little community is right now. Please stop and think about how it got to this point. The reason most of us send our children to SLCS is because of the catholic identity and the loving community. What's happened? In our many years and several children through this school - we have never seen it like it is this year, sad but true. Change is always difficult but it isn't just about change this time... We pray that this will turn around. The teachers are wonderful!

Asian or Pacific Islander 11% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (512) 454-7252

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Austin

• Rock band

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2114 Saint Joseph Boulevard