Austin, TX

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 30, 2015
Every teacher we've encountered is a professional at what they do. They're the best of the best. The the teacher isn't a good fit, the administration isn't afraid to act fast, which is how they maintain their top standards. The teachers and administrators make this school.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 30, 2015
The homework is all appropriate, no busy work. It seeks to achieve a purpose, which makes it alright with me.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 30, 2015
By being in a warm, loving, environment, Kirby Hall School is able to push students past their limits, which allows them to excel and soar. I'm constantly impressed with all they're able to accomplish.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 30, 2015
In many ways, Kirby Hall School is formal, with 'please' and 'thank you,' and holding the door. This will help students go far in life, and it's something is rarely taught or expected anymore.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 30, 2015
The students, faculty, and administrators here are like family. When my son was hospitalized with pneumonia, the principal came to visit him, which is more than I can say for some of my real family. It's a warm, caring, environment that helps children develop into good people, as well as good students.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 30, 2015
Teachers and administrators treat their students with honesty, integrity, and fairness, and promote these values in their students. It is not uncommon to see an older student holding the door and helping one of the younger students. The close relationships and respect for one another help foster these values.

Posted June 30, 2015
We moved from NYC to Austin a couple of years ago, and were worried about what we were going to do about schools. Even though we live in a top public school district, I wasn't sure it was going to be the right fit for my son. After talking to a Westlake academic consultant, as well as the admissions director at another top upper level private school, both mentioned that their best students were coming out of Kirby Hall School. It turns out they don't advertise much, because of the simple fact that they don't have to. I called them and was immediately impressed. The principal, Helen, and the admissions director, Ann, are wonderful. They impressed me so much with their knowledge and curriculum that I pulled my son out of the school he had just started losing all of our deposits, (he'd been there a week) to move him to Kirby Hall. It was worth it. He immediately blossomed, becoming a happier, more social child; everybody noticed the transformation. But not only is Kirby Hall School warm, and welcoming, allowing students to grow into themselves, it's also an academic powerhouse. I don't know how they do it, something about the place is magical. My son started in PreK and by the end of that year was working in a 2nd grade math book. Kirby Hall School is beautiful, and whimsical, and perfect for smart, curious children. They make learning fun, so it becomes part of their play. I wouldn't send my children anywhere else, and am so thankful to have found them here in Austin.

Posted June 04, 2014
Kirby Hall School is a unique and magical place. I think of it as "Hogwart's Up the Block From Ruby's Barbecue." On approach to the building, a stately redbrick former dormitory with tall columns, students immediately feel a strong sense of continuity, history and academic tradition. Inside, they find a thoughtfully curated library, vibrant classrooms and a lunchroom where a science teacher sometimes plops down at the piano to play. A rigorous academic curriculum leads by a full year the education provided at most other schools. At all levels, the experience is well-rounded, including physical education, art, music, computer science and foreign language. Most importantly, the students rise to the challenge on the strength of the staff. Across the board, from the founder to the principal to the full-time teachers to the special subject teachers to the parent volunteers, everyone at Kirby Hall fosters a sense of community, striving to advance together. This place - and the people who run it - have been the best thing to happen to our family. I'm proud to put my name on this post, and I'm happy to discuss it. Call the school office for my phone number - Mike Brick
2 people found this helpful

Kirby Hall School 1

Posted May 20, 2014
This school is awful! Don't send your kids there. They have no counselor, no director of school, no nurse. Anytime there's a problem they have no idea how to resolve it.

Posted May 16, 2014
Kirby Hall has changed our daughter's life! She loves the challenge and her teachers. She was a straight A student in public school, but never had homework and had difficulty with all the girl drama. Now she has homework every night and loves doing it. There is girl drama but they are like sisters!

306 W 29th St, Austin, TX  78705