Eden Park Academy

Charter | PK-6 | 368 students

Eden Park is best known for its exemplary education program.

Posted August 25, 2014

I cannot speak directly to EPA, however in regards to something the previous poster mentioned Wayside is NOT teaching to the "test". My daughter is in 4th grade at REAL Learning Academy, part of the Wayside School District, and she is being allowed to do 5th grade math, because that is where she is with her skills in Math. They are not forcing her to stay with only what the kids in her grade are doing, but they are actively helping her keep growing and not be stagnate with her learning. So I am sorry if EPA feels that their kids are being forced to do things this year that they didn't have to last year and that it seems to be teaching more to the STAAR test, but from my experience at REAL that is just not the case. They are still open to working with kids at whatever level they are on. A child who is above average WILL NOT be dumbed down at REAL.

Posted August 8, 2014

Totally agree with the last reviewer. EPA is not a Wayside school, but it is. And our very close knit community is now being broken by a corporate entity beholden to grant specifications. For three years our child has attended this school and for three years they have changed the time schedule forcing working parents to scramble each year to arrange different sources of childcare. And each year we are offered a different excuse. Now we have early dismissal at 1:30pm on Wednesday. And to top it off, they have changed the curriculum to be much more math heavy in all grades, just because one of the other schools in Wayside got low Math scores on the 'test'. They are teaching to the' test', no matter what they say. If you have a child who is above average - THEY WILL BE DUMBED DOWN. But the community is trying to adapt and stay close knit. The other parents are wonderful and the teachers are very good, but you can only do so much. We are pulling our child out after next year if this 'new' incoming principal cannot change things. All in all, you would be better off in AISD at this point. Its a shame too, because before EPA became a Wayside school -it was exceptional.

Posted August 7, 2014

EPA rocked last year! Then we lost the best part of the school the principal. Now we have an acting principal and she's not approachable. I don't know why EPA was taken over with Wayside but I wish we could disown them. Put EPA as it was. The parents are not as close, the changes make me sick to my stomach and most the parents I talk to give it two years and if it doesn't improve we are pulling our kids from the school. Last year I gave it 5 stars and I give it 3 now just for hope. Wish the admin would listen to the parents and we the parents would get to vote if we want these changes or not. Do not like not being listened to and do not like being treated like they could care less. It is still better than AISD. But Robinson needs to GO FAR FAR away!

Posted June 5, 2014

This school is very good. I have not had an issues what so ever. It has been a great transition from AISD to a charter school.

Posted April 28, 2014

Eden park has being the best school for my kids . They are getting the help they need the teachers are great and they love teaching.

Posted March 26, 2014

I am very satisfied with this school. Two years in and the teachers are very involved and committed, the principal and administrative staff are very responsive and great, and the community feel created by very involved and supportive parents is wonderful!

Posted February 28, 2014

I pulled my kid from this school. Three years things went great. The schools expansion has changed the core values of this school. The fact that they got a CEO who makes more than a school of this type should ever make is part of the problem. They expect all the kids to look the same and get the same out of a system that says they teach to multiple intelligences (but fall far from that). The school was a great place one time. Ask kids who have returned to AISD from leaving here and find out how far behind the kids at EPA really are... Anyway, beware - it is not the school it was three years ago!

Posted October 30, 2013

my daughter attends the pre-k 3 program at this school. It has been wonderful. She loves it, looks forward to it everyday . The teachers are wonderful, the class as a whole has made substantial progress since the beginning of the year. I put her in it so that she would get structure and socialization and it has proven to do both. I look forward to many happy years there.

Posted October 17, 2013

My granddaughter who turned 3 in June attends this school. Their activities include things she was doing a year and a half ago. I was told by one of her teachers that she was so much more advanced she shouldn't even by there. My daughter on the other hand thinks she needs socialization and structure. I am teaching her Sign language, Spanish, Medical terms and everything else my brain can think of. This is nothing but a free day care for people that want a break from their kids in the morning.

Posted September 3, 2013

My child attended this school for middle school. I had given EPA a five star rating previously, but so many things have changed at the school that my original rating may be only marginally helpful now for prospective parents. Unfortunately I feel like our WONDERFUL experience here was due to two things sorely lacking in regular public schools: the tiny size of the school itself and the large range of grades--last year it was pk-9, which is unheard of for a public school. Many research studies show that K-8 schools are great for kids because of the wide range of ages and abilities that make it seem like a family. Now the school has done away with that model by moving the middle school aged kids to a different campus. They also seem determined to get bigger, which is too bad. We had some fabulous caring teachers, but I wonder how much the community will suffer as it grows larger.

Posted August 22, 2013

This is our first year at SciTechPrepatory, part of the EPA-Wayside school district in the Austin area, and we really like it. There are teachers, and principals, and parents who really care about their students. Small class environment, unlike a regular public school. They are rated exemplary, which is a definite plus. Sure they have homework, but they are preparing our kids/and students for college and a lifetime of success. Great Job EPA/and Sci-Tech.

Posted August 22, 2013

I love this school and can see positive changes in our student since she started this year at EPA. While we are new to EPA, it seems the curriculum is great and the teachers really care about the students. The principal is also very involved. I feel blessed for our student to be a part of this school.

Posted August 7, 2013

We've had 2 kids at EPA for a few years. It has been both up & down. The parents are very involved with school & really care. Most of the teachers on staff are impressive but others leave ALOT to be desired. They don't teach to "the test" but they teach to the lower kids in the class. It is not as stimulating curriculum as I hoped. The administration is .. I don't know what. Calling the principal a joke wouldn't even be close - at least you can laugh at a good joke.

Posted August 1, 2013

My kids have changed so much (in a great way) since they started here at EPA. They love to read, math, and science. The curriculum is great and the school has great teachers who really care about the students. The principal is also very involved.

Posted February 14, 2013

Me and my two boys love EPA. I really feel like my children are getting a quality education. More than that though, they are being taught the importance of being involved with their community and good character/citizenship. I really love how enthusiastic the teachers are. The new principal Mr Smith, seems like a great leader, and seems really involved with the kids. The kids have homework every night from pretty much first grade on--so be prepared for that. It really does have that small school/private school feel, but with an emphasis on tolerance and acceptance of people from all socioeconmic backgrounds.

Posted November 29, 2011

We love love Eden Park! I was very taken aback by the comment with the one star rating and decided I needed to add mine. I would LOVE you all to come look at the kids at the school...Everytime I am there they are all happy, and as far as I know there all very happy with the school (hints they would not be there if they weren't since it's a choice to go to this school.) I do admit that the building is not the best looking, but it works perfectly fine, and they are very proactive about fixing anything that does go wrong with it...it is just an old building, and there doing a great job with it. I do however agree about the principal not being warm and fuzzy...but I don't believe that is what makes for a good principal (being warm and fuzzy.) I believe she does her job beyond expected, she is ALWAYS there (which you can't say that about most schools) and ANY incidet I have ever broughten to her attention she was VERY proactive, and got me a solution right away. Over all I love this school. The only bad things I can think of aren't learning based...and as a school goes that is what I look for. How they teach, and what kind of personal attention my gets! But PLEASE fix the playscape

Posted September 2, 2011

Overall a swell effort, but some of the individual teachers make for a lackluster education. I'm sorry, but vocabulary such as "Whatever" is not really a stellar way to communicate with 8 year olds. If you cant handle a room full of 3rd graders without screaming, you should probably look for another job. The curriculum is fine, but the system imposed by the administration leaves you feeling like they are teaching to the lower/middle kids. Lot's of inane rules- instead of actually using your skills to communicate with kids and parents. The Principal is all business. She's focused on running the school, not really interested in specific incidents, nor shows much emotion. You don't get a warm fuzzy- especially when you need it- like bringing up an issue with your kid. The location also offers much to be desired. There's a certain dingyness under those 6' ceilings. And no- Sloppy Joe's are not what I consider a healthy lunch. Kind of a big downer from all the Hype of "charter school". Some of the teachers might be great, we just didn't get one. Go see for yourself, look at the kids faces and feel the vibe- your mileage may vary.

Posted July 26, 2011

I have only been with the school for 1 yr, but have loved my experience with them so far. The school is very inviting and promotes strong parental involvement which is much needed in successful education. The setting is very family oriented and I can definitely see why this Charter school is excelling!

Posted April 19, 2011

Love this school. My child struggled and they gave him the much needed attention. He has grown leaps and bounds in his first year. They have great communication, and give each child individual attention, and individualized learning plans. They have lots of PTO related activities, and ways of getting the parents involved. I don't have much time for these, but there is a great group of parents that donate lots of there time to make this a great school. Love they don't teach TAKS test, and they are still are exemplary. I could not ask for anything better, the teachers enjoy being here, and it shows. My son went from not being able to pay attention/not liking school, to loving to learn, and trying to do the best job possible. They just acquired the rest of the church building, which will make more room for new opportunities...and I can't wait to see what this school has in store!!

Posted April 17, 2011

This feels like a private school that you don't have to pay for. Our son transferred here from an "exemplary" AISD school and we feel he's gotten so much more attention and instruction than he could at the public school. It doesn't feel like it's all about "crowd control." There's very much a family atmosphere and it's very easy to get to know other parents. The PTO could be more structured with meetings and such, but there's core group of very dedicated and involved parents that do an amazing job. The school is growing, but they are trying to keep the small atmosphere. For my son's sake, I hope they succeed!! By the way, they have art and music classes, and just created a soccer team.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

26 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

26 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

25 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

20 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

20 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

17 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

16 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students95%

Not economically disadvantaged91%
Not special education93%
Non-migrant94%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students91%

Non-migrant92%
Non-Gifted92%

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 3% 4%

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 5%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • TEA Exemplary School (2012)
  • TEA Exemplary School (2011)
  • TEA Exemplary School (2010)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:20 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • JOHNNIE SMITH
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (512) 383-0665

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • Multi-aged
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Acceleration
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Art room
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Science club
  • Student council/government
  • Yearbook

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

3 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year