439 students|Wayside Schools

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Eden Park Academy 1

Posted April 20, 2016
Eden Park has been a great school up until this year for my kids. Since they have become a part of a "district" it has gone downhill quickly. They are a smaller "district" who are trying to compare themselves with larger ones yet administration does not know how to utilize the programs that they have tried to implement. Communication between administration and parents is awful For example, what school completely cuts their computer program in this day and age without informing patents? They have a very high turn over of staff during the school year and sadly the students are ones getting hurt. Adminstration is not friendly to teachers or parents. It seems like administration is only concerned about how the school makes them look and not themselves

Eden Park Academy 5

Posted August 30, 2015
My son - a sweet boy who charms everyone, had been falling behind in public school. Teachers just didn't have time to deal with a well-behaved, moderate-achiever. At Eden Park, teachers listened to my concerns and took them seriously. Intervention and tutoring followed, and within one year he gained more than two grade levels. I can't say enough good things about Eden Park. We LOVE it!

Eden Park Academy 1

Posted August 05, 2015
We are done. Moving on to AISD. The icing on the cake was this was the second year the teacher we wanted and were assigned to left before the school year started. We stuck it out last year - but when the replacement teacher hired to replace our requested, wanted, very good teacher this year was found to NOT be qualified, that was it. This school has had four principals in four years. EPA has lost all of its good teachers to AISD. (Rats jumping ship comes to mind) The quality of the education is NOT exemplary; it is sub-standard. Our local AISD school has higher scores than EPA - we wanted to try out the promised IB curriculum but its not coming in for real until our child is in the 6th grade. A day late and a dollar short. DO NOT ENROLL IN THIS SCHOOL. It used to be exemplary, but now with all the changes to staff and the curriculum, it performs as just what it is- average. I cannot stress enough how much we wanted to love this place, but our child's education is just too important to keep waiting for promises. The only good thing I can say it that the other parents are pretty groovy, trying to keep that south Austin weird vibe going. But with the incorporation of EPA into Wayside Schools ( a corporation hidden in the guise of a charter school entity) EPA has lost all of its unique charm. We cannot take the risk that our child fall so behind she cannot keep up with regular students in AISD. Take my advice, if you are zoned to a lesser AISD elementary school get a transfer to one that is higher ranked and stay away from EPA.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted August 05, 2015
The good ones are jumping ship. Leaving in the school year. The ones hired to replace them are not even qualified to teach. Glorified substitutes who will take lesser pay for a job.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted August 05, 2015
Sheets, sheets, sheets and more sheets. Repetitive dribble. No outside learning projects are assigned, nothing is given to those students who find the work boring . NOTHING. It's just to prepare the students to pass the STARR.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted August 05, 2015
My child has no respect for this school. She was promised a stronger curriculum to challenge her, that was not delivered. She is bored in class and just reads her own books from home. The teachers she had left her for better jobs, so she feels completely let down by the staff.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted August 05, 2015
I wish they worried more about my child's education than her moral code, that is my job.

Eden Park Academy 5

Posted June 06, 2015
We just finished up an amazing first year at EPA! I am so happy we decided to place my daughter here for Kindergarten and will not hesitate to have my younger daughter go here in 2 years. My child has absolutely flourished since the start of the school year, both socially and academically. I cannot speak to what it was like before Wayside, but we love it for what it is now. The community is close knit and involved, but not in an exclusive way. Teachers are so engaged with every student. (Bummed about there not being a music program though).

Eden Park Academy 2

Posted May 06, 2015
We have been at EPA since 2010 and we have seen the many changes that have occurred since it decided to expand into Wayside schools. I wish I could say they have been good changes, but it has been very disheartening to watch our close knit creative school be slowly changed into a test driven, money motivated campus. Our good teachers are leaving. We've gone through 3 principals and our parent groups are fractured. They let go of the music teacher. The Spanish teacher runs her classroom like a drill Sargent. We don't even have fun fundraisers anymore like bake sales or bingo night. It's just "write us a check." The few field trips they take are expensive as the parents have to pay to charter a bus. $14 for a movie is expensive! My son will be moving on to AISD next year for middle school. Our daughter will stay for at least one more year, but if the administration continues to turn a deaf ear to the parents, we may move her out too. And I'm pretty sure the administration does not care if we leave because there is a waiting list of folks ready to move in. I used to be a strong advocate for Eden Park, but I can no longer recommend it and that makes me sad.

Eden Park Academy 2

Posted April 16, 2015
This will be our last year at the school. There are so many things that are wrong with it is hard to pinpoint for this review. First and foremost, the teachers are not all qualified to teach. Some are simply parents with nothing better to do. They haven't been able to keep the principal at this location or there are others. It's a shame really because when we started with the school it was quite awesome until it became very corporate centric. The good people started leaving. And those that need to leave, are the ones that simply will not go. Don't get me started on the PTO, especially the president and vice president. Honestly, they should just go start their own little club somewhere and stay away from the school. We recently had our two children tested and both are a year behind in reading and in math. That cannot be coincidence. Do yourself a favor, if you are looking for a school, do research. The few comments before mine on this website are clearly statements from the PTO and teachers at the school. Most of what is brought out in their comments is not factual. Best of luck in your search.

6215 Manchaca Road, Austin, TX  78745
Last modified Eden Park Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.