No rating

Austin Waldorf School

Private | K-12 | 375 students

Living in Austin

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $290,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $880.

Posted April 10, 2013

This school is amazing! The kids learn all of the same stuff they learn in public school, but in far more interesting, interactive and progressive ways. In addition all of the regular academics, the Waldorf students also get art, handwork, woodwork, eurthymy, musical instrument, chorus, sand sculpting, blacksmithing, theatre, and time to play outside.

Posted February 19, 2013

Great school. Our children received excellent educations K-12 and admission to top colleges and universities where they excelled. Teachers were caring and supportive as well as brilliant in working with students. Arts were engaging and expected; sports and leadership opportunities were available to students who choose such. As parents our questions were readily understood and answered. We are most appreciative of finding such a well rounded and balanced, beautiful school.

Posted February 11, 2013

My students attended public schools and two different Waldorf schools before spending their high school years at AWS. AWS wins hands down in terms of how much the teachers invest in teaching the students, rather than simply their subjects. We all loved the integrated curriculum with different artistic skills encouraged in what would otherwise be ordinary subjects (English, math, history, Spanish, German.) Although the school has had a tendency to involve itself in more than just the academic lives of the students, we understood that this was to protect all the students. Our children have gone on to take up professions or further studies at liberal arts colleges in which their instructors and professors have commented positively on their broad based education; ability to think, ask questions, observe, and draw conclusions; as well as their wide range of artistic experiences. We are all working hard to make it possible to send the grand-children here.

Posted January 22, 2013

What an amazingly brilliant curriculum, campus, and faculty! My child has attended this school for 8 years and I wouldn't choose anything else. There is tremendous attention given to educating not just the head, but also making certain that the students' emotional and physical needs are supported. The academics are rich and enlivened by the arts and practical disciplines. These children are well-rounded, engaged, and genuinely enjoy coming to school. Imagine!

Posted January 22, 2013

The Austin Waldorf School is an excellent school for all grades k-12. We have three children and have been at the school for 8 years. I could not be more pleased. In a world where media and technology are moving faster and faster, this school emphasizes those educational moments where the student can focus on the activity in themselves as doers and not just observers of the world around. Providing opportunities to create and solve issues, and not just imitate leads to an enriched educational experience across the board. Additionally, the teachers are truly dedicated to the growth and development of the whole child as a human being and not just the academics. When there is something happening academically, they strive to support the students by supporting the general well being of the student in addition to working through the academics. In the high school, the academics are diverse and rigorous, but met with enthusiasm by the students. The programs in arts, music, and sports are also great! My children love to go to school and are joyous, and eager to learn. The community is warm, supportive and dedicated to the wellbeing of all it's members. What more could you ask for.

Posted January 19, 2013

What an amazing school. Both my kids went there from Kindergarten until they were ready for college. Not only did they get an excellent education that permitted them to attend and excel at first-rate colleges, but also they developed into the sort of young adults of whom any parent would be proud.

Posted January 12, 2013

This was a terrible place for my children. My son took a huge blow to his self esteem in the short time he spent there. It truly was a disaster. They are not prepared to deal with learning difficulties at all. They accepted our son based on a very short interview and a quick look over his work from another Waldorf school. The person who interviewed us said his work was "advanced". Two short months into the school year and we were having major problems. After a total of 5 months we withdrew our son as he was suffering in class. He is doing much better now and we are considering the local public school after a short period of homeschooling. The community is not warm as they would like you to believe. We came from another school with a fantastic community, so we know what that's all about and AWS doesn't have it. My children's teachers didn't even know the name of their baby sister. The"mentor" program to welcome new families is a joke. These people were paid a lot of money to blow off our family when we became inconvenient.

Posted July 14, 2011

the customer service and counselors for the camp were not friendly or inviting! But awkward and uninformative. I did not go back for the last days and did not get a refund or even offered one. I didn't even know where my son was when coming to pick up and no one knew where he was for an hour! My mom told me I should have called the police. Maybe I should have. The teacher was creepy and wierd My son did not like him and neither

Posted March 24, 2010

We have been at AWS for 9 years with children in the 1st and 6th grades. The experience for both has been fantastic--they love learning, are confident and full of wonder at every new learning opportunity. The teachers are indeed masters and are devoted to educating not only the mind, but the heart and will as well. Everything about the curriculum interrelates and is developmentally appropriate. For example, in the 5th grade, they study ancient culture, including Greece, and work for months to participate in a Pentathlon, complete with a bonfire, odes they have written and illustrated, a Greek meal, etc. The event is done with reverence and culminates their studies for the year. I can't say enough good things about the school.

Posted October 1, 2009

The opportunities given to students are amazing

Posted September 22, 2009

An amazing education - for the whole family. Teachers are outstanding, great community, makes me want to go back to school. And hearing my children wake up every day wanting to go to school is unbeatable.

Posted September 21, 2009

My niece Lilly Tischler goes to Austin Waldorf School and she is multi- talented and just amazing in every sense of the word, because of all she has learned in this fabulous school.

Posted September 21, 2009

Developmentally geared curricullum. Best high schoolin world. Best teachers and administrator ! Wonderful community

Posted September 21, 2009

The teachers are masterful. The children are instilled with a love of learning, a love of words and critical thinking. Their questions are thoughtful, creative and deep. An illistration: as a 17 yr old, my child went to a medical lecture with me. His question to the presenter stopped many of the audience from their own individual conversations. The speaker lit up and spoke for another 15 minutes in response to his question. It is commonfor these young adults go to college where their professors ask about their education and it is thru these children that their professors have the first introduction to the Waldorf education. I feel that i have provided the greatest gift of all by providing a Waldorf education to my child.

Posted September 20, 2009

My grandson attends Austin Waldorf School. I am very glad he has the opportunity to go to this very worthwild and wonderful school with an education that will mean a lot to him in his life.

Posted September 20, 2009

My daughter graduated from the Austin Waldorf School, attending since kindergarten. The school provided a well-rounded education in a warm, creative and beautiful setting. The education she received prepared her well for college.

Posted September 20, 2009

IT s a small liberal arts school that provides an outstanding education in a great community of people. It has definitely prepared me for college.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 20, 2009

It teaches children in a developmentally appropriate way. My son loves going to school there. His favorite classes at the moment are 'Woodworking, gym, and math.'

Posted September 20, 2009

My kids are getting an education that facilitates their development into free human beings who can make a difference in the world!

Posted September 20, 2009

The Austin Waldorf School and Waldorf education in general honors and respects a child like no other... the most sophisticated organic education in the world.

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AWSNA
Fax number
  • (512) 301-8997

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Waldorf