No rating

Hill Country Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 612 students

We are best known for our Christian, Classical, college-preparatory education.

Living in Austin

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $268,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,010.

School Official Point of View

Posted July 27, 2013

On behalf of the school s administration, I appreciate the opportunity to comment upon reviews left at this site. We realize that no school is a fit for every student and no school is a perfect place. We welcome the appropriate sharing of opinion and periodically read the reviews so that we may learn and grow from legitimate feedback. Unfortunately, online review forums also allow individuals to launch personal attacks under the cover of anonymity. As a school, we prefer to resolve conflicts utilizing the biblical principle put forth in Matthew 18:15-19. While that is not possible in this case, we would like to address misinformation put forth in a couple of earlier reviews. The number one priority for our school is to provide a Christ-centered, Classical, college-preparatory education that prepares students to become future leaders for Christ. Our priority is not to increase enrollment. Our recent growth is the result of very high retention rates and a record number of applications, which are two indications of a quality school. We do not accept all applicants and regularly deny admission to a large number of students whom we do not feel are a good fit academically or behaviorally for our school. We do not tolerate bullying and have clear policies in place to deal with behavior issues as they occur. At times, parents who do not have all of the facts may disagree with our application of discipline policies. That is unfortunate, but we strive for fair and consistent application of the policies for the entire student body and cannot adjust policies to please the few. We are committed to being accessible to as many families as possible through our tuition assistance program that historically awards needs- based financial aid to approximately 20% of our student body. The school s administration has never falsely created or seeded reviews on this website. We do have a number of reviews that were posted during a brief time period when we shared information about GreatSchools.org with our school community and encouraged parents to go to the site to rate their experiences with Hill Country. We did not in any way coerce reviews or know what parents would say. I would assume that many parents promptly went to this site, and that is why a number of our reviews occur during a narrow time period. Each year we conduct parent surveys to provide an additional opportunity for feedback, and the vast majority of our parents rate that they are pleased or very pleased with their experience at Hill Country Christian School. We think that these ratings, plus our re-enrollment rate of roughly 90% this year, demonstrate that parents and students are pleased with the education they are receiving at Hill Country. We hope you will take the opportunity to read the large number of positive reviews from parents, students, alumni, and teachers posted on this site to learn more about our school.

Posted November 4, 2010

Wonderful teachers with a genuine love for their students. Strong acedemics and a wonderful Christian atmosphere. It's very comforting to know my children are in a school that reinforces the Biblical teaching they get at home. They are excelling in all academic areas and are learning life-long skills as well.

Posted November 4, 2010

Finding a school with very high academic standards was our top priority, and we found that with HCCSA. The teachers are highly qualified and they have high expectations for students. We enjoy having our children in an educational setting with other highly motivated students, parents and teachers. Best of all, all learning at HCCSA leans toward higher education, so you never hear "Are you going to college?" Instead, you hear "WHERE are you going to college?"

Posted November 4, 2010

This is our first year at Hill Country Christian School and my kids could not be happier! The teachers make learning fun and interactive. They offer so many extra clubs that it is hard to choose! The administration is very organized and there is no pressure to volunteer in order to make the school run.

Posted November 4, 2010

Hill Country Christian School of Austin has been an amazing experience for our child and our family. The academic opportunity is much more advanced than what we found in the public schools and previous private schools. We are so thankful to have found a place where our child can grow and learn in an environment that challenges her academically but also holds precious her Christian path and sense of community. The communication with the teachers is wonderful and we always feel like we are kept up to date on her progress. We recommend this school without hesitation to any family seeking academic excellence partnered with Christian values. We look forward to the years to come with HCCSA!

Posted November 4, 2010

HCCSA provides an environment where my kids love their teachers every year, are challenged to learn, and mature into responsible, happy kids. The staff and teachers know my kids strenghts and weaknesses and are interested in helping me, not just with the academics, but with the spiritual and social growth of my children as well. HCCSA is not only about preparing my kids for college but also for life.

Posted November 4, 2010

Hill Country Christian School of Austin exemplifies daily strong leadership and classical learning which is enriching our children with a strong biblical foundation to build upon for life and its many challenges. The daily activities and homework reflect the proper way to study and learn and prepare our children for college and career development. The investment we have in our children at this school is "priceless." The opportunities for each student is numberous and held to the highest standards to insure success in an excellent array of extracurricular activities with strong parental involvement encourage with each of your children at every grade level. Yes, the education I wish I would have received!

Posted November 3, 2010

We could not be more pleased with the spiritual and academic development of our children through our partnership with Hill Country Christian School of Austin. The teachers and administrators invest personally in the lives of the students and families who are part of this community of learners.

Posted November 3, 2010

We chose HCCSA because of the classical education model within the Christian environment. We've stayed eight years because of the phenomenal success our kids have experienced here. Yes, there have been administrative snafus and a few communication missteps along the way. But ultimately our yearly decision to re-enroll is based on the "bottom line" output, that is our children. They love the school mostly because of the supportive and loving environment from teachers and administrators. We love it because we see our kids challenged, enthusiastic and "shining", even at ages when many kids become sullen and withdrawn.

Posted November 3, 2010

We are so blessed to have found this school. Our son was bored to tears in 2nd grade and now in our 3rd year at HCCSA he is so happy, challenged and still has straight A's! Not only is the curriculum college prep but he has learned life skills from participation in Spelling Bee, Speech Meet, History Timelines, Latin, Bible verse memorization and field studies. HCCSA is so much more than a "school"; it is truly an educational success story!

Posted November 3, 2010

As a teacher at HCCSA I see the smile on children's faces as they connect the pieces to the learning puzzle. I love that our curriculum is connected and well thought out. It is also amazing to see the support and love not only within the classroom but from the parents who volunteer endlessly to support us! I am so grateful for such a nurturing place where learning is balanced with family, activities, the arts and languages all while focused on Christ at the center of all that we do and teach!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 3, 2010

We are very proud to send our children to a school where respect and integrity matter, not to mention being a grade level plus above public curriculum. I have watched my children mature acedemically and grow spiritually.

Posted November 3, 2010

I am a dad who enjoys the football games, family "school" food nights out and great curriculum, all the while focusing on making a difference for Christ and sharing His love, with and in all you do. It is the place to educate our future leaders. They have it all!

Posted October 29, 2010

After researching and visiting several Christian schools in Austin, it became clear that Hill Country Christian offered the highest academic and spiritual quality than others. My two children have attended for 3 years and I can attest that HCCSA is an exceptional school. The classical education is excellent, the integration of a Christian worldview is present in every subject, and the teachers are educators, mentors and role models.

Posted October 29, 2010

I have 2 children at the school, & we have been at the school for 8 years. It has been a fantastic experience, & we would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a Christ-centered, classical education in a college-preparatory environment. The local public schools in this area are fine, but our family feels like our educational experience at Hill Country has been worth every single penny. No child or family is just a number; the staff takes the time to really get to know each one well. Our formerly shy child is thriving because she feels so comfortable and accepted. My kids want to stay here through high school. We hired a new headmaster two years ago, & he has provided great vision for the school , which has taken it to the next level.

Posted October 5, 2010

I have loved being a part of Hill Country Christian School. The community, teachers, and staff are a wonderful part of my family's life. My kids are at school more waking hours than they are with me. So it is a great investment I am making in their lives as they grow, learn, and stretch their faith. This school is definitely worth every penny. I encourage you to check it out and enroll your kids into this great Christian school.

Posted August 11, 2010

DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN HERE. You can't trust anyone, right when you think people including staff, parents, and students are on your side, they turn and ruin people's lives. Definately not a christian enviornment.

Posted June 30, 2010

WARNING: IF YOU SEND YOUR CHILD HERE YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY SORT OF FAMILY LIFE AND ENJOYMENT WHATSOEVER. i am the same former student from the comment listed below. i had homework to do from about 3:00pm all the way to 1:00am every day of my life there. this school is not family friendly.

Posted June 1, 2010

I am a former student of HCCSA. I attended it from 4th grade to 5th. To tell you the truth, the only person of the staff you can trust is Mr.Marx. I was impressed with the school work and liked it very much until it got stressful, and to the point where i barely had time to eat dinner after school. By the time i was done with homework, no matter how much, it would always be around 9. Both my teachers treated me horribly, like i was some sort of cage animal, they didnt trust me at all. the staff and students are very unGodly. There was so much drama headed my way, (since the school takes small mistakes and turns them into ant mounds) that my grades eventually dropped. I am now in seventh grade, going to public school. I do not reccomend this school.

Posted May 25, 2010

My family has been ah HCCSA for two years (preschool and kinder) and we couldn't be happier. We love the Christian values being taught, the family atmosphere and the rigorous academics. It seems to me, although I could be wrong, that each grade level is a year ahead of government schools. It is expensive compared to free government schools but I'm willing to give up a lot for my kids being taught under a Christian worldview. Oh, my daughter's class has been somewhat diverse which we have loved, too. One last thing- the families here are by no means all mega wealthy. Most people seem to be your average middle classers. May God bless your decision on what school for your kids - it is hard, huh?!

Posted November 29, 2009

The school is good academically, but not at all worth the additional cost. Many of the teachers and students are not godly and in many ways, far worse than in public school. I suggest sending your children to public school and spending the over $800 monthly fee on enrichment activities for your children.

Asian or Pacific Islander 4% 4%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of Texas at Austin
Texas A&M
Abeline Christian University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Science club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:35 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Head Master - Mr. Bill McGee
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • (512) 257-4190

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Advanced placement courses
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • Independent Study
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
Foreign languages taught
  • Latin
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club
  • Dance club: jazz, ballet
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Drum line
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Foreign language club: Latin, Spanish

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

8 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
University of Texas at Austin
Texas A&M
Abeline Christian University
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013