PK-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

On behalf of the school s administration, I appreciate the opportunity to comment upon reviews left at this site. We realize that no school is a fit for every student and no school is a perfect place. We welcome the appropriate sharing of opinion and periodically read the reviews so that we may learn and grow from legitimate feedback. Unfortunately, online review forums also allow individuals to launch personal attacks under the cover of anonymity. As a school, we prefer to resolve conflicts utilizing the biblical principle put forth in Matthew 18:15-19. While that is not possible in this case, we would like to address misinformation put forth in a couple of earlier reviews. The number one priority for our school is to provide a Christ-centered, Classical, college-preparatory education that prepares students to become future leaders for Christ. Our priority is not to increase enrollment. Our recent growth is the result of very high retention rates and a record number of applications, which are two indications of a quality school. We do not accept all applicants and regularly deny admission to a large number of students whom we do not feel are a good fit academically or behaviorally for our school. We do not tolerate bullying and have clear policies in place to deal with behavior issues as they occur. At times, parents who do not have all of the facts may disagree with our application of discipline policies. That is unfortunate, but we strive for fair and consistent application of the policies for the entire student body and cannot adjust policies to please the few. We are committed to being accessible to as many families as possible through our tuition assistance program that historically awards needs- based financial aid to approximately 20% of our student body. The school s administration has never falsely created or seeded reviews on this website. We do have a number of reviews that were posted during a brief time period when we shared information about GreatSchools.org with our school community and encouraged parents to go to the site to rate their experiences with Hill Country. We did not in any way coerce reviews or know what parents would say. I would assume that many parents promptly went to this site, and that is why a number of our reviews occur during a narrow time period. Each year we conduct parent surveys to provide an additional opportunity for feedback, and the vast majority of our parents rate that they are pleased or very pleased with their experience at Hill Country Christian School. We think that these ratings, plus our re-enrollment rate of roughly 90% this year, demonstrate that parents and students are pleased with the education they are receiving at Hill Country. We hope you will take the opportunity to read the large number of positive reviews from parents, students, alumni, and teachers posted on this site to learn more about our school.
July 27, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (2 responses)

Hill Country Christian School 3

Posted November 05, 2015
The GREATEST asset of this school in my experience: the teachers. The average class size is also a major plus! The general environment is "fun" in the lower grades. The parents are very clique-ish which sadly carries over to the children and does not represent the school's intended values. The academics are average compared to 2 other schools we've attended, judging by amount of homework, curriculum, as well as my childrens' information retention and standardized test scores.

Hill Country Christian School 4

Posted September 22, 2015
We are a new family, but feel like the school is definitely headed in the right direction. Our children have been welcomed by friends and teachers alike. This is not a perfect school, but my experience is that the commitment to academics, athletics, fine arts, and spiritual growth is right where it should be. We did have some challenges with homework, but the school addressed those concerns immediately. We have been very pleased.

Posted May 15, 2015
It is difficult to put into words how valuable the education is at HCCSA, as the tangible is taught through a biblical world view by the most committed and qualified administrators that I have ever been around, and the intangible benefits and outcomes are endless. My kids are learning at a very high level for their age (8th & 10th), are being challenged on daily basis to strive for excellence, and are encouraged to do it for reasons bigger than themselves.....to impact the world around them for the Glory of God. In addition to the educational benefits, my family enjoys being part of an amazing community where we interact daily with our student's peers, their teachers, the school administrators, and coaches to fulfill the common goal of being known, and loved.

Posted February 05, 2015
The reason we send our kids to Hill Country is because our kids are challenged in important areas of their lives while also being deeply cared for. We are a community, partnering together, to bring out the best in each student. This is a challenging academic environment but students are motivated because it is also a relational environment. We have been at the school since kindergarten and have seen many changes over the years. The administration really listens to parents and makes appropriate changes to accomodate healthy feedback and growth of the school. I completely trust that my children will be prepared for college and life upon graduation.

Posted December 10, 2014
Our family is grateful for Hill Country Christian School. Our kids have grown up at Hill Country. Over the last 9 years, we have been delighted by the numerous teachers who have loved and served our children. Each one has displayed a strong relationship with Jesus. From the Lower School to the Upper School, teachers have powerfully impacted our children-- academically, socially, and spiritually. We strongly recommend HCCSA!

Hill Country Christian School 1

Posted November 08, 2014
The only reason for giving an entire one star is that the Lower School principal is FINALLY on the way out. I hope then that opens the door for the Headmaster to exit as well. Until the leadership tactics of favoring the the annual fund donors and ignoring bullying and discipline problems change, Hill Country will not grow in terms of enrollment. Check the numbers and abysmal standardized test scores before re-enrolling - see what the net gain in students has been in the past few years ... Yes, HCCSA has had new students come in, but many others have left for valid reasons.

Posted November 07, 2014
Hill Country Christian is a key partner in our hopes to develop our children into Christ-seeking, problem-solving leaders, and the school has exceeded our expectations. The school has top-notch teachers who truly love the children and seek ways to challenge them while guiding them spiritually. We are impressed with the school's ability to teach to a wide range of skill sets among the students. They constantly tell us that all students learn differently and that is their mission to find the right way to teach each child. I have tremendous faith that our investment at this school will pay off as I see the young leaders that our children are turning into. As a result, I expect our children to attend excellent colleges in the future, probably with significant scholarship money based on their experience at HCCSA.

Posted August 13, 2014
My family has been at Hill Country for seven years and there isn't enough space on this website to express what a blessing it has been for our children. My children have excelled academically, socially, and spiritually at this school. They are confident and able to speak in front of their peers without giving it a second thought thanks to the training and leadership opportunities they have been given over the years plus the support and encouragement from their teachers. My kids feel very accepted here for who they are and how God made them and feel loved and known by their teachers. I'm really confused by all the comments on here that people with money get treated differently. We do not have money, we barely make ends meet with both parents working, we only give a small amount per year (under $100) to the annual fund and we can't afford to go to the Spring events, yet I have NEVER been treated any differently nor have my children. I personally am very thankful for the "rich" people that come to Hill Country because if they are generous and give to the annual fund then my children get to benefit from their giving!!! In my opinion, it's a win/win for my family!

Hill Country Christian School 1

Posted July 24, 2014
We recently went to enroll our child in this school. We were coming from a very high rated private school where our child had done exceptionally well. His overall GPA was 3.56, and he was considered to be one of the easiest students in his grade level to deal with. He had had absolutely NO discipline issues al his years there. The only issue had been his standardized test scores which were in the 55%. This was primarily due to test anxiety. We were told by Hill Country that he did not meet their standards, and therefore he would not be able to attend. Even the school he was coming from was surprised by their decision. Since that time I have been told that Hill Country can be a little discriminatory which is what we found to be the case. Almost immediately after that he was admitted to another Christian school nearby with no problems. They were actually thrilled to get him after talking to his previous school.

Posted July 01, 2014
My kids have gone to the school for several years, and my family has had a great experience with academics, the teachers, the staff, and other families. I have seen some of the negative reviews on this site, and I think people should know that most if not all of them were written by one disgruntled person I know who left the school a couple of years ago. This person keeps getting different email addresses over a couple of years to write these anonymous negative reviews, and that makes me sad. I am sorry that you are allowing bitterness to rule in you. You were unhappy with the school you went to before this one, you were unhappy here, and I'm guessing you are unhappy at your new school. I hope that you can learn to let go of your anger at some point, for your sake and for the sake of your child. That's no way to live. For others who are looking for a school for your child, Hill Country is a great choice where your child will be known and loved and won't just be a number or a standardized test score. It is a financial sacrifice for my family, but I believe it has been worth it. I know this is the right place for my kids and I am thankful God brought us to HCCS.

Hill Country Christian School
12124 Ranch Rd 620 N, Austin, TX  78750
Last modified Hill Country Christian School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Hill Country Christian School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 91 reviews. Top