Austin, TX

Posted March 28, 2015
We completely unsatisfied from this school. it is cost a lot but give not so much. first, if there is some bullying or social issues, the school deal with this with unprofessional way. second, there is some good teacher, but there is also very bad teachers that do not teach and do not encouraging to learn. we are very disappointed. especially because there is no way to communicate with them. third, there is no way to compare between the scores of this school to another schools, so you can never know what is the academic level, compare to other schools. private or public. and it is kind of problem.
3 people found this helpful

Posted March 12, 2015
My older son was there for 4 years, my younger for 2. I do not recommend AJA. My younger son finished 1st grade still not knowing how to read (he was not the only one out of 12 students). We had him tested by the public school once he started 2nd grade. According to AISD, my son was at Kindergarten level when he entered their school meaning that he left 1st grade at the same level he entered, even though AJA provided him assistance with reading - 3 times a week. According to AISD, and another place I took him for testing, he lacked the basic skills required to read, things that are normally taught in 1st grade. As soon as he left AJA, with some basic instruction on how to read, my son s reading skill improved tremendously in ONE month. When I confronted AJA regarding those issues, their response: Every child learns at a different pace . It is no wonder that several of the students left that class after 1st grade. Also, we were not happy with the Hebrew lessons. I can t say that my sons learned much. Both my boys are much happier now at the public school, for many reasons. Don t waste your money!!!
4 people found this helpful

Posted October 21, 2013
I am so very happy to have my children attend the AJA. Teachers are amazing, support staff wonderful, great leadership. Everyone working together to provide an all around great learning environment for children.

Posted October 18, 2013
This school does the most important job of all -- infusing a love of learning in the kids. Great project-based education that nurtures the whole child. I have two kids here and couldn't imagine sending them anywhere else!

Posted April 18, 2013
*cont I've never experienced a school office team as warm and as loving as AJA's. They are there for us 110% and always make sure we have everything we need to make our days productive. I couldn't possibly overstate all of the positive things I feel about being a part of the AJA community. I believe if you take a tour of our school, you will definitely experience the charm and warmth and educational excellence that AJA offers. Once you do, you will be able to fully understand why I feel this is such a magical school.

Posted April 18, 2013
As I complete my third year teaching at AJA I feel that words cannot truly express how much I enjoy working here. As I enter my classroom each morning, I feel extremely honored and lucky to be teaching here. Not only do I have a small class size, where I can focus on each child's individual needs, I also feel supported by the entire staff and by the parents. AJA is a tight-knit community that feels as if I'm spending time with close family members on a daily basis. Teachers know the names of other students in the school, even if they have not taught them. Parents donate crafts and books to teachers, even when their children aren't in the class. Jenny Tubbs, our school principal, is a strong leader and is honestly the best administrator I've ever worked with. She is intelligent, eloquent, supportive, kind, understanding and loving. The parents, staff and children all adore her. *cont

Posted April 17, 2013
Love Love Love this school. It is the best little school in TX. And little in a good way. The classes are small so that every child get the attention they need. If a student is excelling is excelling in a subject they will make sure they continue to be challenged. If they finding a subject to be difficult they will make sure they get the support to power through. We found the school by accident and are so thankful we did. We just wish it went through high school. The new Head of School is outstanding. She comes to AJA by way of LA with 10 years experience. They expect excellence in every classroom and they deliver. Check them out.

Posted March 02, 2013
This is the biggest nightmare of a school to work in. I relocated with my family(no paid relocation) expecting for a good quality of life in Austin for a lower salary than the national average. Guess what, just rent is cheaper in Austin, but daily life is just as expensive as in other cities, just details. My job lasted 3 months and the Head of School wanted to reduce my salary in more than half!! In Texas you are not protected against this kind of breach of contract! I quit, two months later I saw a posting in a website for the same position so I guess the problem is not me... Management never agrees, expectation are unreal, instructions change weekly, and you will have to develop 6 different lesson plans for each group. Kids are great and so are fellow teachers, but think carefully and don't work here, don't do it to yourself. All my best
2 people found this helpful

Posted June 03, 2012
This school provides a nurturing environment for students to grow socially,academically and ethically. All students are welcomed into the extracurricular activities, so students who might not get a chance to play sports on a school team have a great opportunity here.The school is truly a community.

Posted July 16, 2010
We have had our daughters at AJA since kindergarten and we have been thrilled with the school since day one. Our daughters have developed academically, socially, and spiritually beautifully - because of the committment and talents of the faculty and staff at AJA.

Austin Jewish Academy