8-12|Private

Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I can't honestly speak about the current staff because it has been 10+ years for me... however the ones I did know we're absolutely incredible!

Amount of homework: Agree

what homework?? I was able to complete all of my work other than researth assignments in study hall... which was great because I started working early at 15 and held many jobs during that time and still went through HS with honors

Develops character: Strongly agree

Neverfelt that one student had a better connection to a teacher than any other. Teachers never lied nor tricked students into doing anything and as far as fairness... sure we may have hated the rules but they were all completely justified

Former student graduated as "the platinum kid" as they called me... I ended up having to do a half year as a junior due to personal reasons so I technically went to HSBC for 5 years... so that's what they dubbed me... This school felt like my second home... I actually enjoyed going to svhool, doing the work, testing my own limitations and thinking outside the box... The staff at that time was amazing! While we did have our fair share of teacher switching since they moved on to bigger and better things... I never came across any teacher that I disliked nor one that wouldn't work with me if I was struggling... I learn so much in my time there and it was an experience I would never take back. If any of the staff reads this they may remember me from that platinum kid joke... I love all you guys and I look forward to seeing you guys again soon! I love popping in!

I graduated from Huntington-Surrey in 1999. It was my third high school. Before enrolling, I was on a path to becoming a drop out. I loved learning, but hated school. Huntington-Surrey made me into a lifelong learner. I graduated from St. Edward's with Honors, received an MFA from Naropa University and an MA from University of Chicago. I am now an English teacher and one of my biggest dreams in life is to someday run and teach in a school based on the principles of Huntington-Surrey methods.

Huntington-Surrey has very small class sizes in a setting that allows teachers to individualize each student s learning. Students who struggle with the distractions of most school settings thrive because the small classrooms and content competent teachers encourage the student to be prepared for class and engage in learning. A student who has never read an entire book before is enticed with interest-specific literature that is discussed and written about in one-on-one English tutorial style literature class. The most important thing that happens at Huntington-Surrey is learning. The culture of Huntington-Surrey allows students to know their teachers on a first-name basis and everyone is accepted as individuals. No bullying, no intimidation, no time to waste- just learning. If you want a school where your child can soar based on their individual talents, visit Huntington-Surrey. You will be pleasantly surprised that a school like this exists.

This school has been tremendous for my daughter. The school sets high expectations of the kids, and then provides the support and one-on-one attention necessary for the kids to reach those expectations. The closeness between the students and the teachers is amazing. It really creates a drive in the students to succeed. This school is wonderful.

My son is not the same person since he enrolled in this school last year. He is so much happier. The staff treat the sudents like family and the teachers are great. We have recommended this school to other students who have enrolled and feel the same. What a difference!

Our daughter graduated from Huntington Surrey in 2005. As a parent, I appreciated the school's low student:teacher ratio, the administration's emphasis on academics and integrity as opposed to focusing on things such as dress and appearance, and the stellar teaching staff. I highly recommend the school.

Last modified Huntington-Surrey High School is a Private school that serves grades 8-12