Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework should equal about 10 minutes per grade (according to some recent studies). This would look like 60 minutes for 6th grade, 70 minutes for 7th and 80 minutes for 8th grade (including reading log time, projects and practice time for band/instruments). Mostly math homework is given, but I have noticed that some math homework is too lengthy and is not of great benefit to students.

Develops character: Agree

I do feel that Small works hard to develop honesty, integrity and fairness in its students through their daily classes and in their Social and Emotional Learning in their advisory classes. However, these skills are only taught as far as the classroom teachers are willing to integrate into their lessons, and commitment to fidelity in the SEL lessons.

I thoroughly enjoy the staff, students and parents that I work with and who contribute to our Small school. I am currently in my 5th year as an educator at Small, and I continue to return because I truly enjoy the population I work with, as well as the unique programs our school has to offer.

Incredible school that kids want to attend. Emphasis is on meaningful instruction with real world applications rather than STAAR test scores. Kids are engaged in hands-on learning. Most work is completed in class, rather than assigning kids a bunch of homework and do-at-home projects. The block schedule allows students the opportunity for in-depth learning and there is a very large list of dynamic electives from which to choose. We transferred our son mid-year to this school and he really likes it and has rediscovered the joy of learning.

CSMS is a really awesome school! I'm going to go into my 2nd year (7th grade) in Middle School and 6th grade was really fun! We did have a lot of projects and a lot of fights happened this year, but Clint Small is really great school and wish I could come back next year. I made a lot of new friends and Clint Small made this really memorable.

We moved into the district about a month before school started, and my daughter has now completed over half of her 6th grade year at Small. She's very happy. She's in the Gifted and Talented program and feels like she's being challenged enough to stay interested, but not so much that it takes over her life. The 6th grade counselor has been wonderful, the principal responded to an email question very quickly and thoroughly, and the teachers have all come across quite reasonably when we've interacted. Oh, and the GT coordinator has taken plenty of time to explain the program and allay our fears (we came from an academic magnet school in Seattle). The proof for us is that our daughter is happy on her way to school and happy when she arrives home. I asked her about bullying, and she says she hasn't noticed anything. So that may be an issue in certain circles, but hasn't affected us. Hopefully it never will.

Just feel the need to respond to the previous review. Academics mean nothing if there is so much bullying and drama that your kid cannot concentrate on their work. Discipline, rules, etc have to come first. The improvement I've seen in my child's grades since leaving small is remarkable.

Because of my husbands work, we unfortunately moved around a lot. My son attended 4 different junior highs and is now in his senior year (he's doing Connexus online public school - which has been a God send - highly recommend it). We were talking about the best and worst schools he went to the other day and he said Patton Elementary (attended for 3 years) and Small JH (he attended for 1 year) were the best. He said he was actually challenged academically there. He also spoke highly of Pillow Elementary in North Austin. My point is, Small may have it's issues, but compared to other schools it's at the top of the list.

This is my third year at small. It's amazing how half the teachers are extremely helpfull and the other half have no intrist in most of the kids. My peers are very two-faced. At least via my experience. They need to change the staff. No one can do anything about the students attitudes'. I loved Mrs. V, Mrs. Brown, and Mrs. Smith out of my core classes. I hated advanced theatre with Mrs. Hall. She was very negative to my group and it was stressful. Cheer wasn't that fun because everyone grouped off, but the beginning of this year has been great with this group. I think it will be a great year though. Honestly, I'm just scared of this years teacher, even though I've heard half of them are great.

I'm now entering my 4th year (2nd child) at Small. I've been pleased with the academic environment and the teaching staff as a whole with my older son. The only negative interaction experienced with an academic teacher did have to be escalated to AP and then Principal attention, with the involvement of the counselor as well, but was ultimately resolved to everyone's satisfaction. There is a lack of coddling at Small - and it would seem that many people factor that in negatively. I do not have a special needs child, so I can't speak to the lack of support others cite, but I will say I have never had any issues in communicating with Mrs. Taylor; she answers my emails promptly and any questions I have for her I can express and discuss at her monthly coffees, which are open to all parents and widely advertised. My older son thrived socially and academically at Small. His core group of friends from Mills did not attend Small, requiring him to make new friends and establish a new base - which he did quickly and kept for 3 years. He is now at LASA, along with many other Small kids, and Small more than prepared him for this academically rigorous high school.

Last modified Small Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.