Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 23, 2016
Christopher Davis because he helped my child become a well mannered person. He also helps students to understand the importantance of of bring a good citizen. He was strict though, but for a good reason.

Grateful to:
SCHOOL LEADER
Thank you Heather Sanchez, volunteer extraordinaire!! I appreciate so much your dedication to our school, the amount of time you spend helping out from updating the school sign, selling tickets to events, putting packets together, chaperoning, and so much more. Thank you so much!!
Posted November 23, 2015

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted November 22, 2015
Homework should equal about 10 minutes per grade (according to some recent studies). This would look like 60 minutes for 6th grade, 70 minutes for 7th and 80 minutes for 8th grade (including reading log time, projects and practice time for band/instruments). Mostly math homework is given, but I have noticed that some math homework is too lengthy and is not of great benefit to students.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted November 22, 2015
I do feel that Small works hard to develop honesty, integrity and fairness in its students through their daily classes and in their Social and Emotional Learning in their advisory classes. However, these skills are only taught as far as the classroom teachers are willing to integrate into their lessons, and commitment to fidelity in the SEL lessons.

Posted November 22, 2015
I thoroughly enjoy the staff, students and parents that I work with and who contribute to our Small school. I am currently in my 5th year as an educator at Small, and I continue to return because I truly enjoy the population I work with, as well as the unique programs our school has to offer.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 22, 2015
I am grateful to teacher Rhonda Offield for advocating for one of my students. Many of the students I work with are teased and bullied, often because of their condition that causes social awkwardness. Rhonda is always looking to create the best learning environment possible for students, and comes to me when she needs help in next steps when advocating for students who are being targeted.

Posted May 30, 2015
Incredible school that kids want to attend. Emphasis is on meaningful instruction with real world applications rather than STAAR test scores. Kids are engaged in hands-on learning. Most work is completed in class, rather than assigning kids a bunch of homework and do-at-home projects. The block schedule allows students the opportunity for in-depth learning and there is a very large list of dynamic electives from which to choose. We transferred our son mid-year to this school and he really likes it and has rediscovered the joy of learning.

Posted June 25, 2014
CSMS is a really awesome school! I'm going to go into my 2nd year (7th grade) in Middle School and 6th grade was really fun! We did have a lot of projects and a lot of fights happened this year, but Clint Small is really great school and wish I could come back next year. I made a lot of new friends and Clint Small made this really memorable.

Posted January 19, 2014
We moved into the district about a month before school started, and my daughter has now completed over half of her 6th grade year at Small. She's very happy. She's in the Gifted and Talented program and feels like she's being challenged enough to stay interested, but not so much that it takes over her life. The 6th grade counselor has been wonderful, the principal responded to an email question very quickly and thoroughly, and the teachers have all come across quite reasonably when we've interacted. Oh, and the GT coordinator has taken plenty of time to explain the program and allay our fears (we came from an academic magnet school in Seattle). The proof for us is that our daughter is happy on her way to school and happy when she arrives home. I asked her about bullying, and she says she hasn't noticed anything. So that may be an issue in certain circles, but hasn't affected us. Hopefully it never will.

Small Middle School 1

Posted October 14, 2013
Just feel the need to respond to the previous review. Academics mean nothing if there is so much bullying and drama that your kid cannot concentrate on their work. Discipline, rules, etc have to come first. The improvement I've seen in my child's grades since leaving small is remarkable.

4801 Monterey Oaks Boulevard, Austin, TX  78749
Last modified Small Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.