Bad
Good

Cowan Elementary School 3

Posted December 30, 2015
This school has it's ups and downs. When I attended this school back in '00-'02 I wasn't a trouble maker child but I did always get into trouble due to bad discipline practices. I will admit, I don't know what it's like there 15 years later, but back in 2000 teachers would often take one side of the story and wouldn't listen to the other side. Aside from the downsides of Cowan, everything else was pretty positive, the building was brand new and was a lot different then the past elementary school where all I saw was a portable.

Posted June 02, 2015
I don't really know where to start. I'm not ever one to write an online review, but what I went through at Cowan, everyone should know about. My son was diagnosed with mild autism in Kindergarten. It was a rough year, to say the least. As a mom, you feel like you've failed your child somehow, like the future is just doomed. Cowan saved my life. Cowan saved my son. They gave him (and myself) the confidence he needed to thrive. They provided him the resources to grow, to communicate, to have such an incredibly bright future. As a parent, we think of a school as just a means to teach your child various subjects, but Cowan taught my son that it's ok to be who he is, to be different. My son will be in second grade next year and he has excelled far beyond my expectations. Unfortunately, a job transfer is taking my family to Boston, but my heart, my gratitude, my sincerest thank you - will always go to the teachers, principal, and the entire staff at Cowan Elementary School.

Posted August 31, 2014
My two children and I love Cowan Elementary. The teachers, principal, parents and facilities have made my children's first years of school a great experience. Mrs Geen and Mrs Cooper are both remarkable teachers who had my son reading and writing at the age of 4-5. Principal Warnken was recommended by a friend who told me that I would love her. She has been that and much more. She had said that it takes a village to teach and raise a child and that's what you get at Cowan. Everyone cares for the children as if they were their own. Cowan should be a model for other schools in AISD.

Posted May 10, 2014
This "hidden gem" has the best teachers, facilities, and community support in all of South Austin. I can't imagine my children attending any other school for their foundation of learning.

Cowan Elementary School 2

Posted May 06, 2014
My student's teacher and administration have been very ineffective at maintaining an orderly, civilized learning environment. They cannot handle behavioral issues and let the other students bear the brunt.

Cowan Elementary School 4

Posted December 25, 2013
Both of my kids are going to this school. Their teachers are great and very helpful to the students. Hopefully, the school will be one of the best of the best in the future.

Posted December 04, 2012
I cannot begin to express how grateful I am to Cowan Elementary and its staff. From the front office staff to the principal staff to the teachers. I transferred my daughter from Boone beginning in second grade. Her teacher, Tracy Graham, is undoubtedly one of the most talented women I have ever met. My daughter FLOURISHED in her class. Third grade was a bit more challenging as the teacher, while very nice, wasn't very organized. This had an impact but we managed through. Fourth grade, Annie Vasquez, another total WINNER. She and Ms. Graham are cut from the same cloth and have an amazingly positive impact on children. My daughter is currently in fifth grade, with Ms. Kling and Ms. Beams. She is extremely happy with both of her teachers and is exceeding all expectations. There was a recent change of the guard, so to speak. Ms. Glenn, the only principal Cowan has had, left to another school and Ms. Debbie Warnken (vice principal) was vetted by the school and the community and we are thrilled to now call her PRINCIPAL WARNKEN! I have met the new AP, Ms, Duffin, but have not had any interactions with her. She seemed pleasant enough. Bring your child to Cowan. You won't regret it.

Posted April 29, 2012
My daughter currently attends Cowan Elementary first grade. We love it here! The staff is the best, events are non comparable to other schools. The principal is always involved with the students, faculty and families. We always feel welcomed and valued when we attend meetings, events and functions. This past year I became a room mom for my daughters class. And I loved the experience. The head volunteer coordinator handed me a pre organized folder with the schools planned out events!!! They truly hold high expectations for us as parents and them as child educators. I would recommend this school 100%. Go Cowan!!!

Posted April 24, 2012
My daughter attended Cowan from 1st grade through 4th grade and absolutely loved the school. We had the best teachers and the principal is great. The teacher communication is the best, all her teachers kept us very informed of what was happening in the classroom as well as at the school. Monthly newsletters went out to the parents as well to keep us informed. My daughter had been to Bee Caves an exemplary school and is now at Patton another exemplary school and we would go back to Cowan if it was possible.

Cowan Elementary School 4

Posted May 31, 2011
This school has a good reputation. I think it does well with what it has -- all of the schools are stressed with funding cuts. I do feel (and this is probably for all Texas schools), that learning ends about 3 weeks before summer break. My son's reading bag and weekend journal were discontinued after spring testing, because "school's almost out." I wish that we had year long school. The teachers tell us how students fall back to a lower reading level during the summer -- but they are already falling back because even the teachers have summeritis.

Cowan Elementary School
2817 Kentish Drive, Austin, TX  78748
Last modified Cowan Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.