Nyos - Magnolia Mccullough Campus

Charter | PK-3 | 318 students

Posted April 15, 2014

We have been very happy with this school for our oldest. His teacher has done a great job of keeping him motivated. He's in kindergarten and reads at a 2nd grade level . He has been able to continue to grow at reading and other academics while also learning the usual kindergarten social skills.

Posted August 26, 2013

NYOS is great in many ways. I love the small classes, the classes are integrated, no special ed classes, and your child learns at their pace. The community and parent involvement is exceptional. There is one area were they could improve, and that is not alienating the minorities in the school. The 2013-2014 Kinder loop need racial diversity training, and to understand that just because we disagree does not mean you are being attacked. my child was in that loop, and it was great until I disagreed with the teacher one time. This year is great. He has the best teacher, and she works with him very well. He loves school now I'm glad we toughed it out. I am sad to say that other minorities left NYOS because of that loop.

Posted August 23, 2013

We love NYOS! Both of our children are learning above their grade level and the investment of the teachers has been remarkable. I love the small class size and the limited number of classes. Specials (like art, spanish, music) receive emphasis and the real world learning through study trips is one of our children's favorite things. Highly recommend!

Posted February 18, 2013

This is a fantastic school that has exceeded my high standards for education. They teach the whole child so the academics is incredibly strong, but they're also making sure the students see the application of lessons in life... enabling life-long learners. Great teachers and staff leadership. Love the quarterly school schedule and I believe it really contributes to retention of knowledge. All families are invested in their child's education and you can see the difference it makes in the school. My review of NYOS is glowing. Seriously satisfied parent.

Posted February 18, 2013

This is our 3rd year at NYOS and love it. I put my oldest through public school and would never submit my younger kids to that. At NYOS the teacher to student ratio is awsome, the kids learn at their own pace. Not like public school where everyone one learns the same thing at the same time. If your child is struggling they have all kinds of programs to help. The teachers are great, the principal is awesome. I definately recomend NYOS (and I do) to everyone.

Posted February 16, 2013

This is our second year at NYOS, and my daughter's experience has been overwhelmingly positive. The teachers are incredibly hard-working and compassionate, the curriculum is rich (study trips! project based learning!), the families are involved and care deeply about their kids, and the students are encouraged to rise to the level of their abilities. My daughter is way ahead in reading and math, learning things in 1st grade that I didn't learn until 5th. We also like the diversity and the looping with the same teacher every two years. Charter schools don't have as many resources as regular public schools, but this one is rich in terms of involved people who genuinely want children to succeed and thrive.

Posted February 15, 2013

I was shocked by the negative comments. Just remember you get what you put into the school so if you are not an active parent in your child's education you will not be happy with the school (i.e. volunteering and helping out where there is a need) but if you take the time and put in the effort to support the teachers, administration, and PVC you can make an impact and you have a right to whine about what is going on. For me this school has been a godsend and has been great for both my kids. The teachers are very dedicated and strive to ensure the kids succeed and the curriculum is based on the kids needs instead of trying to fit the kids into the same box. My kids have benefited a lot from attending this school. The principles have been great to work with not to mention the PVC and the board of members. I would highly recommend this school to anyone. The fact it goes from PreK-12 is a major plus. The kids can stay with their friends all the way thru high school and it eliminates the stress some feel about having to go to a different school. There is a bus that will transfer students to both campuses which is really nice as well. I love this school!!!!

Posted February 15, 2013

I am so thankful for NYOS. My daughter has attended this school for 2 years and seems to be learning subject matter well beyond her grade level (compared to AISD). I have nothing negative to say. The teachers have been great, the parent involvement is helpful and it's easy to stay on top of activities with Facebook communication (on top of emails and fliers sent home).

Posted February 15, 2013

2012-13 is our son's first year at NYOS. He previously attended another Austin charter school. The difference in his attitude at school and toward school is completely different than in years past, which says a lot about his teachers, classroom environment, and the behavior of his classmates - the kids are not out of control and that allows the teachers to work with them instead of trying to herd cats. The elementary principals are engaged and communicative with parents and students. Families are extremely involved for a commuter school that draws students from Austin and all surrounding areas. Executive leadership is responsive, committed, and forward-thinking. All in all, a very good school for those seeking a public alternative to any of the area ISDs.

Posted February 15, 2013

All four of our children have been at NYOS since kindergarten. We couldn't be happier. The teachers don't teach to the lowest common level, but have allowed our children to excel in their strengths beyond grade level and helped them with their weaknesses. The 2 year teacher rotations (you have the same teacher for 2 grades) have been great. We've worked with four different teachers and they have all been great. We were able to work with the staff to find teachers that would work well with each of our children. I've know several families that have children in NYOS, from elementary through high school and am looking forward to the rest of our children's experiences.

Posted February 15, 2013

We've been at this school for over a year now and all four of my kids are here at the Magnolia campus. We picked NYOS b/c one of my sons was struggling in public school and we knew if we didn't intervene he would fall through the cracks. HIs teacher has been amazing and the looping system is such a plus for him. He gets such great attention at the school and they have reading specialist to give him extra help as well. We love NYOS and have been extremely happy!

Posted February 15, 2013

Hooray for NYOS! We love the school and are very pleased with it. All four of our children have attended since Kindergarten and we don't have any complaints. We love the NYOS community and how involved the parents are. We also love how the teachers rotate with the kids for 2 years. The smaller class size is a plus as well. They know how to work with each child on their level & are able to help them exceed in all areas. Nothing but praise for NYOS!

Posted May 10, 2012

There is nothing not to like about NYOS. There are fantastic teachers, excellent staff and the academics are far above any local school. I wouldn't hesitate to send my child here for the remainder of her schooling.

Posted September 12, 2010

NYOS (Not Your Ordinary School) has become very ordinary. At least the Elementary campus, that is. Since the current principal came on board there have been lots of changes that have negatively affected this school, in my opinion. The principal does not listen to nor does she care about what the parents want and went as far as changing the structure of the charter without parent approval. She has also changed the nature of the curriculum from active life learning (field trips, involving familes, etc.) to now following the Round Rock ISD curriculum, which is not bad, but definitely ordinary. Since funding is limited, there is no nurse or librarian. They boast of their teacher/student ratio, but our local public school has the same. Many great teachers have left since the current principal arrived, and just like any "ordinary" school, some teachers are great, some are okay and some are bad.

Posted December 8, 2009

After years of struggling it seems that NYOS is finally getting a little more organized. Far removed from the experience we had at the Gessner campus of long ago. They still need to work on discipline issues and teacher retention. Although the teachers are educated most are young with no children of their own. This makes a HUGE difference. Not that childless teachers are bad by any means, just as a parent they reach a new level of understanding.

Posted September 4, 2009

Since NYOS split into two campus, I have had at least one child at the Magnolia Campus. The k-3grade program doubled in size when they took over the Magnolia school. With the growth, the school went through some major changes. This year is our third on this campus and things have started off great. My son loves his teacher; she's very organized and has great communication and is very patient. I have a wonderful relationship with the principle and staff. I'm very pleased with his progress and growth.

Posted May 28, 2009

This is a review of the elementary grades: As a parent, I have been very disappointed in the lack of a clear-cut discipline policy (grades pre k-5). The school also has terrible bullying issues--which the administration refuses to address. I've withdrawn my children because I didn't feel it was worth my drive every day. Besides, the school's 'curriculum writer' is simply plugging in everything from the Round Rock ISD. Sorry to say that NYOS is 'Just Your Ordinary School'

Posted August 2, 2005

The quality of the school was average. I found the school to lack in direction and organization. The level of parent involvment had high expections with little turn out. There seemed to be a few families who did everything and many families who did very little to participate. They have potential to be good, but I feel the school lacks in good leadership to bring the whole thing together. With the school being owned by an individual, the wishes of the individual had a tendancy to over take what might have been best for the school. The extracurricular activities at the Gessner location were non existant! The Lamar campus always seemed to have all of the new equipment and technology with the Gessner location being left like an orphan.

Posted March 4, 2005

As a parent I am very disappointed with the campus. I have no idea if the newer, bigger campus is cleaner with better security but the Gessner campus is lacking. No across the board disciplinary measures taken, therefore kids behaving badly! I put my daughter here thinking she would get more individualized attention. Instread she has fallen behind due to the fact she cannot concentrate because of the kaiotic atmosphere. Homework that has been checked off by the teacher is wrong so it is up to the parent to correct and explain where the student has gone wrong. I would not recommend Nyos.

Posted February 19, 2005

At this time this school has received a unacceptible rating that I feel does not give credit to the many things areas that are important for a good school. The depth of caring the teachers show and the low student to teacher ratio has given my children the confidence and self-esteem that I feel will carry them far in life. The teachers and the school are working hard to bring the rating up and that to me is very important. The staff cares about the children! On the other hand the extreme lack of extra-curricular activities is a concern. The parental involement is high. We have very dedicated parents who spend many volunteer hours working with the children during lunch and through-out the day to help suppliment the teaching staff.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

60 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2011

2010

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

60 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2011

Limited English proficient (LEP)67%
Proficient in English85%
Non-migrant82%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2013

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2013

Non-migrant71%
Non-Gifted71%
Bilingualn/a

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 6% 4%

• TERRY BERKENHOFF
Fax number
  • (512) 835-6692

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1605 Kramer Lane