Nyos Charter School

Charter | 4-12 | 890 students

Our school is best known for its academic success and community engagement.

Posted February 20, 2013

I am really impressed with NYOS. I have moved at lot and lived in several cities in Texas, so my son has attended a different school every year(sometimes 2) until he started NYOS at the end of 4th grade (May 2010). He is now in 7th grade and a full grade level ahead in math. He had been so frustrated with his previous school and the singular focus of teaching the test (TAKS back then) that he was bored and acting up in class. At my son's request, I removed him from a blue ribbon AISD elementary school and enrolled him in NYOS. He has been much happier, his teachers keep him challenged, and I am satisfied with the curriculum. His teachers so far have been excellent and great role models. NYOS is not perfect. I have had some minor issues like not getting field trip forms and notifications, but I can't blame that all on the teachers. The communication has improved with the new email notifications and weekly 7th grade newsletter, and the website is more up to date. The fundraisers are not my favorite but are necessary. I do wish there were more after-school and evening volunteer opportunities for those of us who work outside the home.

Posted February 15, 2013

We are in our 3rd year at NYOS ('12-'13) and I love it. We are still at the elementary level, and the teachers and staff are wonderful! I wouldn't have our child anywhere else, especially given our AISD options! I love that NYOS does not teach to the test!

Posted June 15, 2011

My kids love the school and have never left it. The teachers are caring and devoted. I've been impressed with the quality of education my children have received and the one-on-one attention. Nyos has a caring and friendly atmosphere and environment that my children have felt since they began attending the school.

Posted June 15, 2011

My son got a 32 on the ACT. Test scores are not the sum of a student, though, so I'd also include he has won Scholastic Writing competitions and been recruited by top colleges. His success comes from several outstanding teachers he had at NYOS. Because of these men, my son wants to double major in Secondary Education and Journalism- so he can teach high school too. I rate teachers and principals as above average, based on my experience now with multiple children having attended a grand total so far of 7 different schools. I rate parents as average... All schools seem to have a few parents who do most of the volunteering, and a lot of parents who are never there, and a few who waggle their tongues about how few parents participate.

Posted February 23, 2011

There is a constant need for money and supplies and pressure to participate in various fund raising activities. While the school encourages and expects parents to volunteer most do not. There is absolutely no sense of school spirit or community here. My child never brings home papers, my child may tell me how well s/he did on a test - but I never see test papers come home. The teacher does not answer email or put homework assignments in writing or post assignments on the class website. This is elementary school - K-5. Parents need to see test papers returned and know about all homework assignments directly from the teacher (not from their child). I have had so many meetings with the principal that I can't even enumerate them. She will agree that what I ask is rational but somehow the situation does not change. The teacher's behavior does not change and my child remains in the same classroom. I will be removing my child from the school in order to get out of this untenable situation. I do not recommend NYOS.

Posted August 12, 2010

As a former parent I wanted to put in my two cents even though much may have changed since my children were here. My oldest attended 1st and 2nd grade and my youngest attended K and 1st, they are now in 9th and 7th. We had to leave due to a move however I am convinced that NYOS had much to do with their success, particularly in math. I was very impressed with the teachers as well as the curriculum.

Posted July 30, 2010

We've had our children at NYOS for 4 years, but have pulled them out. It had a WONDERFUL Elementary program a few years ago (field trips, service learning, involved families)--until a new principal came on board and the elementary moved to the Krammer campus. The principal is very dishonest and cares more about retaining students with behavior problems (save the world mentality) than she does about keeping good families and students who really care about getting a good education. Now, there are very few involved families---total apathy. It's sad. Taking my kids down to this school wasn't worth the gas money so we withdrew. BUT --there are many good teachers at this school.

Posted May 27, 2010

My son has attended NYOS Charter School since 1999. He will be a junior soon and I am pleased that the high school has been ranked 4th in all of the Hill Country schools (that includes ALL of AISD)! The school is small and has a community atmosphere. I know my child is safe and his teachers keep me informed of his participation and attitude. They are very caring and receptive.

Posted May 10, 2010

I think NYOS use to be the ideal school, and might still be for elementary level, but starting in middle school, it starts to get bad and by the time your student is in high school it has turned for the worse, the students don't compare to other students at smaller districts in tests, TAKS, I know it's not all about the TAKS, but NYOS students still have to take it, and since there's not a focus on the TAKS, the students don't compare. The are not 100% prepared for college, NYOS keeps hiring teachers that do not have teaching degrees, and hiring teachers that have issues, I would not encourage anyone to send their children to NYOS starting in the Middle school level and higher. My student tells me that the principle has favorites? Our children will and can be affected either positively or negatively at school!

Posted April 20, 2010

The middle school/high school program is the power of the school program. Students are held to high standards and a sense of community is fostered from the top down. The principal has established a structure of high expectations and students benefit on a daily basis. The school has received many accolades for student performance and the top notch programs continue to grow.

Posted September 4, 2009

I've loved our experience at NYOS Charter School. We have belonged to the school community for the last six years; I have three children ranging from 2 - 7 grade. Over the last few years, the school has been going through some growing pains and changes but it is coming through it better and stronger. I have a wonderful relationship with all my kids teachers and principles. The school has a new Exec. Dir. that seems to be putting her mark on the school. She has been visible to the community and is open to old traditions and new ideas. The communication is very easy and free flowing. I feel very comfortable discussing any concerns I may have regarding my kids or the school. Overall, I wouldn't want my kids at any other school.

Posted August 23, 2009

the school was good at first, and the teachers do a good job at teaching, but they have an annoying inconsistancy with their rules. i brought my ipod to school, and one teacher did what he was supposed to, which was give a chance for me to put it away, but another teacher just took it away without giving a warning, and i was just using it as a PDA. The other rules are also badly enforced, like when you are disrupting the class in other ways, the teachers just sit there and do nothing.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 13, 2009

This school has had some issues in the past, most notably a lack of consistent leadership. There have been some disconcerting issues in the past two years with the progressive but non-effective handling of discipline issues. Also there is still the same problem of teacher turnover which the school refuses to admit and confront. Hopefully with the new Exec. Dir. things will change, but still watch out!

Posted June 10, 2009

I have children at NYOS and I am very disapointed with the middle/high school principal. I don't feel like she cares enough for the 6th & 7th graders and doesn't try to offer them any of the extracurricular activites the are available for this age group at other schools. They seem less important to her then the high school. She is always hurried and flustered and doesn't seem to have time or care to talk to parents about their concerns. The elementary principal is very approacble and had many fun school related activities for the children/families after school.

Posted May 12, 2009

I have a couple of kids @ NYOS for years and the small class sizes allow teachers to engage every child. Two grades in each K-3 classes allows kids to learn at their pace.

Posted February 6, 2009

Great school my child is in the Pre-K and the teacher gives her spl attention and helps her in her reading. Which she does out of love and to keep my kid challenged. The principal and the asst principal are very approachable. I am very impressed with the school. I haven't gotten this kind of treatment even in private school.

Posted October 29, 2008

blown away at the lack of security and how easy it is for anything to happen at the lamar campus. Principle seems to be there for you at first when you are in need, but then forgets and begins to muli task and forget you were first in line for wanting help. It's horrible comunication to parents. Kids are never told about anything happening until it's too late. My kids have come home and told me they were sent to the lunch room to clean the entire day when they should have been learning. When a sub comes in, the kids are found all about campus goofing off and the school seems to be falling apart in the last two years.

Posted September 20, 2008

We have 2 kids at the elementary campus. We have been at this school since last year and have really loved it. I correspond with the teachers literally every day, and this helps the teachers and I have a real team role in the education of my children. My kids have clearly excelled academically since attending NYOS.

Posted September 19, 2008

This is a small school which I have found very responsive to parents. I have 2 children in middle school there now. They are both involved in extra-curricular activities and are progressing well academically. There are times when the lack of organization overwhelms me, but it doesn't seem to bother the kids or teachers. They have several really great middle and high school teachers who have helped my kids learn a lot. We have no experience with the teachers in the lower grades. They adhere to the State of Texas recommended educational objectives and the kids perform very well on standardized tests even though they haven't bought into one of the 'standard' curricula. The multi-age classrooms have allowed one of my kids to explore his strength as a teacher. He may not ever have recognized that he has this skill without NYOS.

Posted July 19, 2008

My daughter graduated from NYOS. She was homeschooled until the 5th grade. The school, because of its success, has grown due to demand. This growth has been difficult to manage partly because there were few models to emmulate. The support from the state of Texas has been politically challenging. I was happy overall with my daughter's education. What sets NYOS apart from the regular public school is the responsiveness to parents. I cannot think of a formal learning situation in the Central Texas area that would have been better. Results speak volumes: my daughter received an academic full-ride at a State University. She was very well prepared for a University education. I attribute that, in a substantial way, to her education at NYOS.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

62 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

59 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

60 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

56 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

63 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

58 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

49 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

50 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

32 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

32 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

24 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students85%

All Students96%
Male92%
White95%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Asian or Pacific Islander 6% 4%
American Indian/Alaska Native N/A 0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander N/A 0%
Source: TX Education Agency, 2013-2014

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Limited English proficient (LEP) 8%N/A17%
Source: TX Education Agency, 2013-2014

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Austin ISD
Pflugerville ISD
Manor ISD
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 36% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 56% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 8% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Texas A & M University
University of Texas
Brigham Young University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 6%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Chinese (Mandarin)
French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Newsweek Magazine Best Schools in America (2013)
  • #2 Among Top Ten High Schools in Greater Austin Area (2013)
  • PreK Center of Excellence (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

• 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:45 am
  • Kathleen Zimmermann
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • ccollins@nyos.org
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Independent Study
  • Project-based
  • STEM
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• French
Extra learning resources offered
  • Career/college counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • ASL Club
  • Art club
  • Chess club
  • Foreign language club: Sign Language and Spanish
  • Key Club
  • Literary magazine
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • National Honor Society
  • Science club
  • Spanish Club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

2 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
500
Students typically come from these schools
Austin ISD
Pflugerville ISD
Manor ISD

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Texas A & M University
University of Texas
Brigham Young University
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013