Bad
Good

University of Texas at Austin High School 2

Posted July 29, 2015
BEWARE THE TESTING PROCESS! Like other reviewers, we found the whole testing process to be very time consuming and frustrating. First, they don't warn you that finals for certain courses have to be taken in person with a proctor. To arrange to take the finals is extremely difficult because these people at the testing center are completely unresponsive. We had to arrange for a proctor at the high school, which luckily we were able to do even though it was summer. But after repeated faxes and emails and phone calls, the testing center did not respond for over a week. When they finally did respond, they first wanted us to pay for FedExing the test, but then said "I'll check with my supervisor and let you know and send you the tracking number." That didn't happen. I emailed this morning and we'll see if we hear back. They say you can ask the grader/instructor questions, but you never get an answer. Thank goodness for the person at Education Services I emailed who constantly stepped in and got things moving. But what an effort! Then, there are elements introduced into the course without explanation which cause a lot of angst in the student and even one geometry symbol that we could not find used or explained on the entire web. I feel that not warning you up front about the difficult testing procedure is false advertising. However, you don't learn about that until you go and hit the button for taking the final exam so then you're stuck with the course, and since this was a two-part course, we're stuck with the entire thing. Oh, and all the graded assignments are sent to the graders using snail mail. And they only mail the test materials to the proctor using snail mail. What kind of online course is that! We DO NOT recommend taking this course, and hopefully we will have warned others.

University of Texas at Austin High School 3

Posted September 26, 2014
My son is completing high school on line through UT On line High School. The quality of the classes is excellent. I feel he is well prepared to move on to college after taking these classes. He has had to learn how to teach himself and plan and follow a schedule to complete a class in the time allowed. Learning to use the internet for additional explanations and more understandable examples in Physics and Pre Calculus was absolutely necessary. I have found that contacting the school and getting final exams sent to a proctoring test site in our area has been challenging and expensive. There were no grade reports sent by mail. In one case it took several phone calls to get the final grade for a class. Recently the web site has been disabled except for the portal to access the on line classes.

Posted October 07, 2012
My 9th grade daughter took Biology A (one of the ASKME courses) over the summer. She was able to go at her own pace, do the labs in our kitchen (except for a couple trips to Dad's lab to use a microscope), and complete the "semester" course in about 4 weeks. She found some of the videos a little childish, but overall it was a huge success! She learned a lot, had excellent support from her online teacher, and received HS credit. I highly recommend this course for motivated, smart kids. There was a COMPREHENSIVE final exam at the end, which she took at the UT testing center. She'll be taking Biology B next summer for sure. Don't know how their other courses are (this review is specifically for an ASKME course).

University of Texas at Austin High School 1

Posted June 24, 2012
The online course curriculum is extremely limited and difficult to work through. These courses are paid courses and completely online. The "teachers" are there to grade only and do not answer questions. Several of the test questions or graded assignment questions do not pertain to any of the lessons the student has gone through. It is in a very disorganized format and does not teach. When I asked the teacher some clarification or additional help questions she stated that was not part of her job and we needed to figure it out on our own. when I've called the school with questions I am only ever given very general information. I've had to hire an extra tutor to teach my daughter enough to get by. The tutor who even tutors college level found this to be very limited and difficult too. This has been an extremely frustrating experience. My daughter had taken classes through Texas Virtual Academy and that was much better and actually free. I'd highly recommend you shop around first.

Posted January 15, 2010
My son is much happier at this school. He must work independently, so that's a challange, but he says he learns much more because there is not as much time wasted. I have also noticed that the books are very well chosen. He does miss some of the extracurricular activities.

Posted July 27, 2009
The academic curriculum is extraordinary, and a challenge worthwhile for the students.

University of Texas at Austin High School
2901 N. IH35, Austin, TX 78722, Austin, TX  78713
Last modified University of Texas at Austin High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.