Posted September 04, 2014
Great school and academy programs. My sons are currently enrolled in this school and have nothing but good things to say about their teachers. This school has come a long way and I have nothing but good things to say about it. If your involved with your kids life there is no reason why your child should not succeed!

Akins High School 2

Posted March 26, 2014
Low expectations by teachers if child is not enrolled AP Classes. Low support by coaches even if parent contacts coach.

Posted December 30, 2013
Akins was not built as an alternative school it was just another high school in south Austin . I have plenty of friends that graduated from Akins and plenty of them are plenty successful. Please do your research before deeming a school as an alternative school.

Posted January 07, 2013
Akins has really come along way from it orgins. Akins was initially a school where badly behaved kids were sent and now it is a recognized campus. The school has been said to have one of the best campuses and best teachers. Akins High School has also gotten a lot of media attention because of the way the school is set up by academies so that students are able to focus on a career that they are interested just as of they were in college.Akins High School is also known for having the best science,math,engineering,medical, law, and business programs(those just being about 20% of the programs offerd) in Austin. No other high school could come close to providing the education that this school can. When you send yor child to school here it is almost as of you are sending your child to a prestigious High School. It basically seems as of your sending your child to law school or to medical school because the studens who go to Akins get the experience and special cources as of they were.

Akins High School 2

Posted August 24, 2012
Teachers really do alot for students and I was able to get my certificate from my academy major but the principle and the leadership are not nice to the teachers. Sometimes they are rude even in front of the students to the teacher. Every year my teachers find other jobs because they do not like to be treated like that.

Posted May 15, 2011
Akins has made tremendous strides from a few years ago. The academy structure has provided my children many opportunities! My kids have selected majors and have participated in internships. It is a recognize campus just like Bowie, Anderson, and Austin High. The teachers are the best I have seen.

Posted May 13, 2011
Great school. I had heard that it was a fairly new school and had some problems, but from what I have seen it is top notch. Staff really seems to care and the students seem to be involved as well. Nothing but praise for this school & I only see it getting better.

Posted February 14, 2011
I was hesitant to enroll my son at Akins after reading some of the past reviews. So far so good. This year has been great. We love the school spirit and the teachers have been wonderful.

Posted April 03, 2010
this school is one of a kind and has so much potential. A lot has changed over the years and I continue to see it unfold. I'm eager to see what Akins will bring us in the future.Also the teachers are amazing and dedicated, and each are very unique.

Akins High School 3

Posted February 05, 2010

Akins High School
10701 South 1st Street, Austin, TX  78748
Last modified Akins High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Akins High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 65 reviews. Top