No rating

Veritas Christian Academy of Houston

Private | PK-8 | 185 students

We are best known for accelerated classical program.

Living in Bellaire

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $521,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,310.

Posted April 7, 2014

I am a teacher at Veritas Christian Academy. Prior to coming to Veritas I spent 3 years in public education. There are many things that make Veritas stand out among other Christian schools in the area and excel far beyond public education. There are several things that make Veritas exceptional: 1. The teachers love the children and the families. 2. The students are emerged into a learning environment that is loving and encouraging. 3. Biblical integration is emerged throughout all content areas. 4. Parent involvement and communication is invited and welcomed to enhance the learning experience of the students. 5. Veritas is like a family 6. The head of school listens to parents concerns, answers questions and ensures that the education of the child is a, "team effort". I unfortunately have to leave the school this year due to re-location across the state but if I could I would teach at this school forever and I would want MY children going to this school. As a teacher who sees what goes on behind closed doors, that is saying a lot. God is with this school and has great plans to build His kingdom through Veritas.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 31, 2014

This is to update our review from 2007. Our first daughter is finishing this spring. She has 4 private high school acceptances, a spot at HSPVA and qualified for acceptance to Carnegie. Okay, so she was only "wait listed" at St John's, but hey, we aren't complaining. And, yes, her sisters attend too.

Posted February 7, 2013

Veritas is a challenging, nurturing, truly Christian little school. I discovered it last year and can't believe it's not HUGE by now! It is a special place. There is a special spirit here, a sense of God's presence, and the teachers here are people I'd want as my own friends. We tried 2 other nominally Christian preschools before this one and finally found Veritas for our 3rd child. She has had a fantastic first school experience, with plenty of hands-on play time as well as real learning: French, the continents, many states and capitols, and all of Psalm 23 and the Lord's prayer. Everyone knows her by name, including all the folks in charge of pick-up. She loves weekly chapel and has also started to lead prayers at bedtime. We are now considering Veritas for our middle schooler since it provides not only Classical courses, small classes, music and athletics, but also Bible and Logic, 2 excellent tools for surviving modern culture. Tuition isn't cheap for a middle class family, but the sacrifice is worth it. Don't be fooled by the plain exterior - great things are happening in this little place!

Posted November 8, 2012

I can honestly say that our child is learning. I recently attended a Chili cook off at Veritas in October and I want to be honest that eventhough they appear to be friendly you still feel a little unwelcomed. I don't want to say they are clicks but there are certain groups of people that congregate to themselves I should say. A friend recommended Veritas to our family we contemplated selecting another school at first. We chose this school because of the student diversity and the strong academic curriculum. I know some have had great experiences but our experience has been different. I cannot say that we will enroll our children at Veritas next year but we will continue to see if there is any improvement later in the school year!!!! This is my constructive opinion about the school, I really don't see any difference in this school than any other public school.

Posted November 8, 2012

we have two children at veritas this year--our youngest is in the prek3 class and loves it! the teachers are loving and intentional. the classical christian education model is consistently and solidly in place here and it is a blessing to our children and our family. i am excited to be involved in the growth and future of this school!

Posted November 8, 2012

I am sad to read that an expereince has not been good at the school for some. I hope that you will take the time to talk with Administration or your child(ren)'s teacher to give feedback so that they have an opportunity to work with you to help meet your needs and or address your concerns. Amos 3:3 Do two walk together, unless they have agreed to meet? Ephesians 4:15-16 15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. 16 From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

Posted November 6, 2012

We transferred to Veritas three years ago and it has been great. We wish we had found it sooner. The Christian foundation is atellar, the academic program is challenging, and the fine arts program is excellent. There are no cliques, and bullying is not tolerated whatsoever. The students in each class all seem to be great friends with each other. It's wonderful that there is no "teaching to the test" here and the students still perform significantly above national levels.

Posted November 5, 2012

As a new parent to the school I feel that our teacher done a great job with our kids. My child is in the PreK-3 class and I must say I have had an awesome experience thus far. She comes home teaching her dolls all the new and wonderful things she has learned at school. I love the schools equal commitment to The Word of God and to educating our children which are very important for me.

Posted November 5, 2012

We LOVE this school. We heard about Veritas from some people at our church, and the first two parents of Veritas kids we talked to literally cried when describing how much they loved the school. Our kids (Pre-K and First Grade) are zoned to one of the top-ranked public schools in the state, but we wanted them to be in an environment where the Christian worldview is reinforced. That is definitely a priority at Veritas, but what differentiates the school from any other that I have seen is that the teacher and administrators actually love the kids. It feels like a big extended family. The teachers are outstanding and the parent involvement is off the charts. Our kids love the school and miss it during the summer. The older kids are very very sweet to the younger kids and watch out for them like older siblings. The academics are very challenging, but this is what we wanted for our kids, and it is all in the context of a very loving, nurturing Christian environment. I cannot imagine a better place for my kids to be.

Posted March 11, 2011

We came to Veritas 4 years ago from another Christian school in the Houston area. We chose it because of its location, reputation and our research revealed that they did not just teach students Christian education, but in addition, challenged them to live it. Our children have experienced all of the above great attributes of Veritas and more. They thrive academically and continue to grow spiritually under the great leadership of the headmistress and her staff who partner with parents and children to bring out the best in each student. I have witnessed at Veritas something that is very rare-- the teachers' sacrificial giving of themselves on a daily basis.

Posted March 5, 2011

Veritas is a wonderful non-dominational Christian private school that partnered with my husband and me to fully prepare our two children for life -both academically as well as spritually. The faculty, staff and administration are the finest in the world. We love this place!!!

Posted March 4, 2011

Veritas is a uniquely wonderful place for your child to be nurtured and grow. It combines academic excellence with strong christian teaching. The staff is committed to your child spiritual and academic growth. My child was very well prepared for high school academics. More importantly, she was spiritually prepared for making good choices. Her classmates and those we knew who finished ahead of her have all done very well in high school. The strength of the school is it's faculty who all desire to see students grow and flourish, developing their strengths and working on their weaknesses. No one expects perfection, but everyone wants to see the students strive for excellence, their very best.

Posted March 4, 2011

I have been involved with Veritas as a parent and supporter for over five years. From the commitment to the Trivium model of classical education to grounding all teaching on biblical principles to connecting these constructs to a focus on academic excellence, Veritas holds a unique and effective educational position in the Bellaire area. The headmaster and teachers and administrative staff operate with great integrity and always with the benefit of the children in mind. I recommend Veritas without reservation.

Posted March 4, 2011

Veritas is a wondeful school where your child can develop academically and spiritually to become the kind of citizen that we need in our society. Being a Christ centered school and following the classical model of education, you can be sure that your kids will be well taken care of. We are having our second child to attend Veritas, our son graduated about 3 years ago, and when he went to High School we were affraid about the transition for my son from a Christian school to a secular one, but the basis that he received at Veritas have been more than enough to keep him grounded at his new environment. The academic program is great, the sport program offered is unique as almost every child is given the chance to participate and 'play for the school team', which helps them to develop confidence once they go to high school.

Posted March 4, 2011

I truly believe that Veritas is one of the best schools in Houston. I have seen my children grow academically and spiritually. They were well-prepared for high school. The administration and the teachers are highly qualified and do an excellent job in teaching the children and training them to be Christ-like. I would highly recommend this school to anyone who wants a quality education in a loving environment.

Posted March 3, 2011

Veritas is a wonderful school with a lot to offer. My children received an excellent education academically, spiritually and socially. They were well prepared for high school by quality teachers who nurtured and challenged them in each grade. The school is well run and has a great reputation around the city. The parents are exceptional and willing to partner with the teachers in their child's education. I would recommend Veritas to anyone who wants a challenging, caring atmosphere for their child.

Posted December 10, 2010

This school is absolutely the best as far as excellence and godliness! The administration is very open to any ideas, the faculty are all loving and nurturing. This is an accredited school that has a lot to offer. The Head of School has many years of experience in the field and is very involved in the community. Every child is encouraged and challenged. It is a warm, safe and loving environment. If you are searching for a good Classical and Christian school this is the one! Their middle school is one of the very few that offers Geometry in addition to Algebra 1 which are both High School credit courses. I know many of the graduates and they are now all very successful in High School and College. I would highly recommend Veritas to anyone who is serious about the education of their children! Parents can be and are very involved.

Posted November 4, 2010

Poorly. There is a great academic foundation here, but it is undermined by unprofessionalism that could only take place in such a young school with an inexperienced headmaster. The headmaster is related to the upper elementary headmaster, the music teacher's son is in charge of aftercare, the art teacher's son is a substitute, and so on...the headmaster's son is the basket ball coach. Bulling is widespread and not recognized or addressed. Fundamentalist Christian ideas, such as not even saying ``Santa'' and the ``Easter Bunny'' are pushed by a clutch of teachers. ``Halloween'' is said to be evil. Childhood fantasy, such as Pokemon and Harry Potter, are frowned upon. Board is tightly controlled by founders. Freedom of speech and thought are restricted.

Posted July 4, 2010

I LOVE VERITAS YOU FEEL TOO COMFERTABLE LEAVING YOUR KIDS IN A CHRISTIAN ENVIRNOMENT.THE TEACHERS ARE WONDERFUL AND THE HEADMISTRESS IS AWSOME .VERITAS IS LIKE YOUR SECOND FAMILY TO US AND OUR CHILDREN.I LOVE VERITAS AND I REALLT RECOMMENDED TO ANY FAMILY

Posted January 15, 2010

This is our first year at Veritas and I have three children at the school. I cannot say enough about what a blessing it has been to our family. The administration and staff are hardworking, kind and involved with my children. The classical Christian curriculum is top-notch. The extra-curricular opportunities are of the calibre and quality of a larger school. It is a warm, loving environment which feels like a family. I highly recommend Veritas!

Asian or Pacific Islander 5% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
French
Italian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • First place across 5 states in the Algebra League. (2008)
  • Veritas students art work displayed in the Museum of Fine Arts of Houston MFAH this fall. (2008)
  • Football and basketball champions (2010)

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

Arts & music

• Arts (all)
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • Gifted specialist(s)

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Lamia Raad
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook