Bellaire High School

Public | 9-12 | 3604 students

Posted September 9, 2014

I went to Bellaire back from 2008-2012. Bellaire is great for AP students, but for all others, including special ed, it is the complete opposite. During my time there, I was in all regular classes and considered to be a special ed student because I have ADD. To be quite frank, the education that I was receiving from my teachers was SUB PAR and I was never encouraged to do better. A lot of stereotyping goes on in the class as well. Blacks and Latinos make up most of the regular classes so the teacher does what they can to make sure that they pass without actually learning anything. What they fail to realize is that students (like me) actually care about their education and actually want to go to college just like the AP kids do. I am now a junior at American University in Washington, DC give no credit to Bellaire for my academic success. I had to learn the hard way that college was a different ball game because the teachers at Bellaire did not bother to teach me or challenge me to broader horizons. What Bellaire should do is treat ALL they're students equally for the sake of their education and challenge them to do better for themselves.

Posted June 5, 2014

Bellaire High School is a terrific high school. I highly recommend it. The principal and teachers are excellent. My daughter just graduated, after spending all four years at Bellaire. The teachers are challenging and fair. There are a wide variety of sports and other activities with which to get involved. The college coordinator sends lots of information and answers e-mails and phone calls promptly.

Posted August 15, 2013

If you want a true high school experience, then Bellaire is the right school for you! The school is a melting pot of all kinds of people, and gives you a glimpse of the real world. The people are good and the teachers, although there are some who just want to destroy your experience. The lunch is so-so, and there is a wide variety of food to choose from (as long as you have the money). Lastly, you can wear those clothing your middle school had made a big deal about, because there is free dress.

Posted April 12, 2012

I am currently a junior at Bellaire and know it's ins and outs. There are so many clubs and opportunities, it is highly competitive, especially in the top 5-10%. Bellaire students are good at everything, except for maybe football and band. the work is extremely time consuming, as most of the great students are involved in multitudinous extracurriculars. The facility is horrendous; the bathrooms are horrible, the A/C is unpredictable, and it looks like a prison. Walking down the hallways, you will see great diversity:class skippers, homework procrastinators, couples, fights, loiterers, the like. You get a full high school experience here. Some of the teachers are great, most are mediocre at best. I admit, it's the most competitive and academically succesful school in houston with a very diverse group of students. I have so far enjoyed my years at bellaire, but i feel that i could perform so much better in a not so competitive environment. Bellaire is where cheating is the norm and the students are nocturnal.

Posted May 29, 2011

BEST high school ever I've been in this school for a year, but it is so far the best school that I've ever attended. Bellaire has great teachers, and people here are really friendly and nice. Even though this school is very crowded, it has really good environment. This school has lots of different languages to choose from, along with many courses and sports. It also has many different levels to choose from (regular, college prep, pre-ap, AP, pre-IB, and IB). Even though there can be a lot of work, with few hours to sleep, but this will prepare you for later on in college. - A junior at BHS

Posted December 17, 2010

Bellaire is by far the BEST public school around. Though it doesn't get as good of ratings as CVHS or Debakey or some other schools, it is by far a better school. I have many friends and have visited debakey and talked with the students there, and I attended Carnegie, supposedly one of the top schools in the nation, for a year. Bellaire's curriculum is far better and more advanced than Carnegie's, and it has so many more opportunities and a better, happier environment than Debakey. Bellaire gives students the opportunity to grow and develop as people, and to choose their path in life. Though I can mostly only speak for the advanced courses, in general the teachers and administration have been EXTREMELY supportive and accommodating, as long as one has a willingness to learn and puts in effort as best they can. It is very stressful, and at times difficult to handle, and I definitely do not get the amount of sleep I should, but it is definitely worth it because the overall experience is so wonderful.

Posted October 18, 2010

Its diverse but really challenging

Posted February 9, 2010

Well, I have a contrary opinion to the previous viewer.Bellaire has a very healthy environment and Yes, you have to work hard to go to the Ivy League and if there is no competition kids often complaint it is Boaring and off course hard work pays off.Bellaire is a great school very safe,great programs and very near to medical center.I reccomend Bellaire high school to anyone who wants their kids to be focus and do well overall.

Posted January 12, 2010

There are definitely many criterions to consider when one attempts to objectify the quality of a school. If you look at highschool as a vehicle to an Ivy League or a Tier-1 college, then Bellaire is the perfect choice for you. However, the academic environment, while inspiring, is rather fierce. For many, the aggressiveness and the competitive nature of the school is too much to handle. Students will literally have many instances where the workload is simply too much to handle, even if the student do not sleep. My personal sleep schedule never allows me more than 5 hours of sleep, after which I must once again return to a mundane cycle of study, eat, study, and then sleep. Of course, this mundane lifestyle succeeded in rocketing me into an Ivy League school, yet I often question myself whether it was worth it all. Reflections by a Bellaire Senior

Posted January 3, 2010

I am a senior currently attending Bellaire; contrary to the previous reviewer, I would definitely send my kids to this school. I am also an officer of many organizations (if it adds to my credibility, specifically Prez/VP of both academic/nonacademic clubs). This school's environment has significantly contributed to who I am. Agreed, the administration can sometimes be unreasonable, but I completely disagree with the statement about 'horrible' teachers. If any student puts in the effort to converse with teachers outside a classroom setting , he/she will definitely find themselves in the company of passionate educators. This statement is unequivocally true, especially if the student pushes himself/herself to enroll in the hardest AP/IB coursework. At those levels, teachers like Peek, Ghosh, Newland, Clark, Mazzoni, and Casteel prove that inspiring academia exist in our country's HS system. Teachers today are under-appreciated in society; it's time we treat them with some fairness.

Posted October 15, 2009

I am a student from the inside of Bellaire, and honestly I think my opinion is more relevant than parents or teachers. Bellaire High School is a school I would never send my children to. The administration, counselors (apart from Ms. Rubin) and teachers (apart from the RARE few) are not there to help they are there because they have no other option or they, are the few that actually enjoy teaching. I am an officer of four organizations at Bellaire and I am a member of six active clubs, I am not just a slacker who hates Bellaire just because. I feel as if the administration does a horrible job of helping the students, they are more out to hurt students. I have never felt as if Bellaire has helped me in anyway, most of my teachers have been slackers, push overs or just ignorant.I intend on transferring soon.

Posted March 9, 2009

Bellaire is one of the top schools in the nation with many graduates went to MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and other great schools.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 9, 2009

A mathematics teacher, Ed Mazzoni, was awarded the American Star of Teaching from the United States Department of Education in 2005, the highest honor a secondary school teacher can receive. After competing with thousand of students in the United States, a student won Third Place in the 2005 National High School Essay Contest. The Bellaire economics challenge team won First Place at the 2004 National Economics Challenge in West Region and Third Place in the 2006 National Economics Challenge. In December 2007 a Human Geography teacher was selected to participate in Polartrec's research program, traveling to Antarctica to spend 2 months working on a project entitled 'Monitoring the Effects of Human Activities at McMurdo Station, Antarctica'.

Posted January 18, 2009

I have one daughter who graduated BHS and is now a junior at St. Thomas University, she was accepted to Rice, but we prefered the smaller campus. My other daughter is now a junior at BHS, she is in all AP classes and is being recruited by universities already. Bellaire High School is an outstanding school with high academic standards and above average college preparation. I am proud to be a parent of 2 highly acheiving teenagers, thanks to the high standards of the school. I support BHS and will fight to maintain it within its high ranking.

Posted January 15, 2009

Had two daughters graduate from Bellaire. Neither was even close to being in the top 10% but both were accepted at every school they applied, including Texas A&M. They did not apply at Texas. The schools diversity and extracurricular activities are endless which counts greatly to college acceptance. My third daughter will be there next year and I assume will be just as prepared for college as the other two when she graduates. The school is very large and yes, your child can fall through the cracks. So the review below may be a little harsh, but easily understandable IMHO.

Posted January 15, 2009

I believe that Bellaire High School is the best school in Texas. It offers alot of academic courses and extra curricurlim that all students can try to get in. It is a school that prepares it's students for college no matter what level they are and their sports team are a team to be reckoned with especially the freshman football team. I so far have enjoyed Bellaire and all my friends have too.

Posted November 7, 2008

From reading the other posts...I would say that Bellaire is good for self-motivated, achievers. For those of us with average children Bellaire is not as advertised. I as a parent never gotten the impression that they care about any individual student. My other child attends a small religious high school and the difference is night and day -- I would love to send them both there but it is too late for that.

Posted July 10, 2008

Best school in Texas. Two of my children attended BHS and were very prepared for college. Great counselors too!

Posted February 7, 2008

I just graduated Bellaire High school recently and am currently a student at Harvard. For me, it provided the competitive environment necessary to drive me to do my best. At the same time I was able to befriend many insanely smart people who will go on to do great things. I highly doubt any other public school in HISD could have given me the same opportunity. I did the IB diploma and took all AP classes, as did most of my friends. My sister on the other hand, is an above average but by no means amazing student. And while she is also in all AP classes, she sometimes struggles with the workload and pressure. She is happy there though. If a students wants to stay in Texas for college and have an easy time being in the top 10%, he should look elsewhere and save himself the effort.

Posted October 4, 2007

This school has incredible teachers and the students are so competetive! The perfect environment for my child. One thing about this school though is that you might find it a bit crowded.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

843 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

846 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

788 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

800 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

800 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

766 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

694 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

688 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

690 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

692 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Male94%

Economically disadvantaged98%
Special education96%
Limited English proficient (LEP)67%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

442 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

332 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

1151 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

501 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

973 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

976 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

774 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

778 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

650 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

6 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

8 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

952 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

748 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students ELL/ESL Coordinator
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields