Bad
Good

My son is currently in kindergarten at Condit and I am thoroughly impressed with this school. He has never once asked to stay home and seems to truly love going to school. I have already seen great improvement with his reading and writing. Love this school!

This school is geared to the gifted only. If your child has any special needs at all they will go out of their way to make a spectacul of your child. They made my child feel unwanted and he often was punished for behaviors that were dismissed if done by the more fortunate students. Soon other students learned that bulling my child was over looked and ok. One teacher even went so far to call my child lazy, and it it was dismissed by the principal. Often my child cried before school, unknowing what abuse or neglect he would face from both teachers and administration. Grace the data clerk was extremely rude from the beginning, killing any excitement we had about moving to a new town. This should have been a warning. Don't be fooled, forgo this school and enroll your child in a private school.

Excellent school! My son is a kindergarten student at Condit Elementary. When we were initially going through the admission process we debated between River Oaks elementary (he had got admission through HISD's vanguard process) and Condit Elementary which is our neighborhood school. I am so glad we decided to stay with Condit. It is like a close knit family - I love that they have an active PTO. Despite a full time job, I still get to meet other parents/kids at regular forums hosted by Condit/PTO. My son has an amazing teacher Ms. Driscoll who does a really good job of keeping children challenged (she - as I am assuming other teachers in Condit do - follows a differentiated instruction system) tailoring the curriculum based on how advanced the child is.

Overall this school is a very good one, looking forward to my child returning back to this school.

It is a mixed bag - and a lot depends on the teacher. There are some gems (Boedecker, Hilderman, Thomilson, Pete). But many may be too overwhelmed to care and teach only for the test scores. Bullying is an issue that needs to be tackled. If your child is in GT - your are probably fine. If your child fails to make it or gets out of GT for any reason, it is a problem. "Non-GT" students get a less challenging environment and so may not perform enough to get back into GT. Imagine what might happen if this carries forward into middle and High schools. It is ridiculous system that judges children so young and "tracks" them for failure for no fault of theirs. I love my children enough not to put them at the mercy of such a system. It may be the legislation and the system at fault but I honestly feel that the teachers can do a lot more and treat each child with care. One word of advice - if you are in Condit, be very visible and active in PTO. I have seen children of those active in PTO get in the right classes and, of course your child will love you for it.

We relocated to Texas this past year. Our son is in 5th grade. Compared to the schools in his home state, academically, the expectations are higher. The downside is that coming from out of area, we couldn't access the GT classes this year which meant my son really didn't connect with the other kids, and the environment in the classrooms wasn't great. Not the schools fault -- just a lot of parents who either don't care, or are too overwhelmed to care. The classes are very segregated between GT and regular. Without a pathway for transferring students to enter GT classes easily, we spent the last year repeating a lot of material, and our son has made few friends. Clearly a lot of prejudice exists between the wealthier patrons of the school and the economically disadvantaged population that are also zoned here. Way too much standardized testing, but we can blame the legislature for that, not the schools.

This is a good school as far as test scores go. My problem with it is that they seem way too preoccupied with standardized testing. The kids spend entirely too much time on worksheets, and very little time on actual application of concepts. In the upper grades, actual application of concepts are restricted to the kids deemed "gifted and talented" by their standardized test scores. Ours is in kindergarten, and we are hoping to transition him to a school that offers more life experiences and less disgruntled teachers (not their fault...really due to district policies) before he hits third grade.

Condit is the quintessential elementary school. Everyone is welcoming. Kindergarten (Mrs. Davis) and Mrs. Peguero (1st grade) are amazing and your kids will not get a better education. The principal, Mr. Bowyer, is so kid friendly. Parents are very involved in this school. amazing reading program. Absolutely perfect!

I can honestly say that having my kids attend Condit makes me feel like the best parent in the world. From Kindergarten to 5th Grade, our 2 boys were challenged, and at the same time nuirtured by the wonderful teachers and staff. Plus, you can't ask for a better principal. All of the parent volunteers, and all of the activities at the school make this the best elementary in the Houston area, hands down. If you don't believe me, check out all of the awards given by private organizations, and you'll always find Condit on top.

I love Condit Elementary because of the great teachers and awesome principal who love our Condit Kids and use every effort to help them not only to academically achieve, but also to support them according to their individual needs to help them become healthy, confident and happy young people.

Last modified Condit Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.