Bess Race Elementary School

Public | PK-4 | 673 students

Posted December 20, 2013

I have had enough with this school.Ran poorly,The principal and the ASST principal are a Joke.seriously they need to focus on the kids and not themselves I will be going to the admin building and placing a complaint.If you reading this and feel the same way post how you feel Things will never change until we all stand up for our children.This school needs help needs to be put back together the correct way I have done some research and it seems this school has the most issues and turn over rate then any other .Hello thats a sign to go in and fix the problem.Put a real music room in there we are also the only ones who dont have a art teacher.Really these are our kids we gotta stand up for our rights.There is a an act called the no child left behind act do they follow it NO they also have a thing they follow about bullies Do they follow it NO..They should have to follow these but they do not Im sick and tired of listening to the teachers scream at there kids and put them down because they should know how ti do something..NOT if your not teaching and loving each child and trying to help each child why are you a teacher?

Posted July 23, 2012

2 of my children attended/attends Bess Race. It is a horrible school. I believe the best thing for the ENTIRE CROWLEY SCHOOL District would be to ONLY allow CROWLEY RESIDENTS to attend Crowley schools. The district allows to many transfers and OUR CHILDREN are SUFFERING for it!! I have lived here for 15 years, my husband his entire life and we are now moving because of this. There is a huge lack of communication between staff and parents.

Posted July 22, 2012

My son Evan was at Bess Race for first grade. Entirely different experience with first grade. His teacher made up different rules for different kids, and as a result my son took advantage of her and had bad results on the behavior level the entire school year. I tried to get her to work with me, but she is not a good listener. She seems stuck in her ways and makes things easy as possible for students who need a little more assistance. No patience to challenge students. She allowed the children to bully my son, and then when he would defend himself she would punish him. Not a great experience for first grade.

Posted August 17, 2011

I absolutely love bessrace elementary. My son Evan went there last year for kindergarden loved it. Mrs. Bookwalter is an amazing teacher that cares so much for the students. I never felt like she didn't have my sons best interest at heart. They challenged him to be better and he excelled because of it. I love the atmosphere and will be enrolling him again this year for 1st grade.

Posted June 1, 2011

The teaching staff at Bess Race does an excellent job not only teaching the students but also give them a safe environment to learn.

Posted July 30, 2010

My grandson spent his 3rd, 4th and 5th grade studying for the TAKS test. There are other subjects to learn about. For three years he was commenable on his TAKS. That is great. We are luck that he is a straight A student. If he wasn not, he would have learned nothing helpful for those years.

Posted June 25, 2010

I think that this school still has a long way to go, they need to be more diverse.

Posted June 15, 2010

I have been very pleased with the teachers and administration at Bess Race Elementary. Parental involvement is highly encouraged. My children have been exposed to above average challenges academically and are constantly supported by their teachers.

Posted June 1, 2010

My daughter has enjoyed Bess Race very much. The teachers really work with each student.

Posted June 22, 2009

I also am a parent and even though we have only attended Bess Race for a few years. I feel that there could be major changes that need to take place. The dress code while it is a standard dress, needs to be equally forced. Daughter wore same shoe different days and got called on one of those days to change shoes......all school need help in the pta, that is why it is a parent teacher thing...if you do not like something then put yourself out the and make a difference....do not be afraid of the school, if you do not like it then go up the chain.....the school districts are so Taks focused that I think they are forgetting what it is really about.

Posted January 15, 2009

I really think that bess race could be so much better. I really think if the state stepped in and realized how the school was being ran , they could make changes for the better.The dress code, if they are going to pull one kid in for the wrong shoes then they need to pull all the kids in for the wrong shoes.Everyone needs to go by the same rules. They single out kids alot.The priciple needs to go find a job she enjoys cause working with kids is not her thing at all. The pta needs help. I dont think that the same person each year should run the carnival it was so bad.They need change and quick.If you are deciding to put your kids in bess race take it from a mom dont do it!!! you will be very dissapointed in this school.

Posted May 21, 2008

I have had several problems with the teachers. My child has been injured and not allowed to see the nurse. The principal makes excuses for the faculty when she should address concerns and resolve them. They cancel recess to put children in smart average and below average classes to prepare for TAKS exams...letting all the children know who is struggling. My child is in the smart class, but that is ridiculous. They want uniforms so children don't feel insecure if they can't afford nice clothes, but they segregate them based on intelligence using the TAKS prep exams as a gage. Terrible school and school district.

Posted March 27, 2008

This school is below average in my opinion. I think it has a lot to do with the leadership. I spoke with the assistant pricipal and he explained the demographics of the school district is rapidly changing and the they have to teach the students accordingly. Basically he just told me that since the children arent meeting certain standards then the school has to lower their standards. I am extreamly disappointed in this school. Half of the Kindergarten class does not know there ABC's and math is virtually non-existant. I just bought a home in the area and I am seriously considering selling because of the school district.

Posted August 28, 2007

My child attended this school for a short period of time until I started to noticed a rapid decline in the performance in the Crowley School system. This school received a new principle last year and she is very rude and leaves all the dirty work to the vice principle. The school is VERY new is way overcrowded and the teachers are rude.

Posted August 22, 2006

My son has started the PPCD program here at Bess Race. I love his teacher. He is soo much happier since attending and his vocabulary has shot up a lot. Everyone he meets is so surprised he is only 3 yrs old. He is doing so well there. Thank you to all the staff there for making this an easy transition for my son.

Posted May 15, 2006

So far this school has been a great experience for my children. They really seem to like it. The teachers and staff are really nice and willing to help

Posted May 4, 2006

My daughter loved Bess Race. I am sorry that we had to move away from such a great school. The teachers really work with each student. Bess Race has a great academic record and a wonderful new school.

Posted October 26, 2005

I was extremely impressed the first year I came to Bess Race Elementary. Since then, my opinion has somewhat changed. It does not seem to be as student orientated as it was and everything revovles around testing now.

Posted January 11, 2005

Over the past few years, the school quality has declined as enrollment has escalated. Classes are overcrowded (my child has 30 in his class), and it is hard for the teachers to maintain order. I feel this is affecting my child's education adversely. He is not happy and neither are we. At this level, the only 'accellerated' classes are not offered for those students who accel academically. Music is a joke and the only art provided comes in the form of yearly PTA themed competitions. As far as parent involvement goes,I don't see too many parents around for school functions. 'Meet the teacher' nights are certainly not overcrowded! For 3 years straight this school rated Exemplary, but that was then and this is now. I'm glad it is our family's last year at Bess Race.

Posted August 8, 2004

Both of my children have attended Bess Race since they were 5 years old. I hate to see my oldest move onto middle school. Bess Race is an excellent school with tremendous parental involvement. Parents are welcomed any time and any place. There are also many opportunities outside the classroom in which students can participate: Running Eagles (a running group which enters 5K & 10K - again, parental involvement is encouraged) a 5th grade & 6th grade Choir, Good News Club, and others. The teachers are exceptional! Both of my boys have loved school since kindergarten. They are continually challenged and encouraged to excel, while also being loved. It has been such a relief to know my children are safe and with people I trust.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

119 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

120 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

115 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

118 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

110 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students91%

Not special education91%
Proficient in English89%
Non-migrant89%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students76%

Non-migrant61%
Gifted/talented93%
Non-Gifted57%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 2% 4%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

537 Highway 21