Burkburnett, TX

Posted January 24, 2015
This school cares nothing about students and pressures them to excel in sports. There are no academic clubs but they tout the NHS (National Honor Society) members and claim they have had a lot of students graduate through their Advanced Placement (AP) courses. That is an outright lie since it has been impossible to take four AP courses in a semester. Students barely graduate, can't pass end of year tests and are still promoted anyway. I was one of the intelligent students and tried to transfer only to be told that the WFISD "-didn't need no more smart white kids.". I was denied a quality education. The teen pregnancy and drop out rate is terrible. Counselors do not connect with students and many teachers are jaded or very strict. I can't blame some of them because most of the people I went to school with ended up on welfare and are working dead end jobs. I had to leave Texas just for a college education. Students were encouraged to go to overpriced MSU so they could take the remedial classes for Math and English because they were "easier to pass". This high school consistently fails the students and I encourage parents to send their children elsewhere, preferably out of state.

Posted May 07, 2010
As a graduate of BHS, I am very unsatisfied with my education. The school focuses first on enforcing rules. Eencouraging learning opportunities and providing an education seems low on the list of priorities. I found myself very ill prepared for college, despite graduating with high marks. My peers in college had a much broader depth of knowledge: they had read books I hadn't, learned math and science principles I hadn't, and had studied disciplines that were entirely new to me.

Posted January 26, 2009

Burkburnett High School 5

Posted September 08, 2008
I went to Burk High, and I believe that it is the best school in the area. I have been to the christian and public schools in Wichita, and had friends in the surrounding towns. We all agree that Burk is so much better than the others. The connection the teachers had with us was outstanding. I never thought I would make anything of myself because the town was so small, and because our sports teams aren't the best anymore, but I got such great grades because the teachers helped out so much. There are only four counselors in the school and the teachers help them keep the load off their backs so that they can take care of the kids who have personal problems at home. the kids with disabilities are treated as equals unlike the surrounding schools. i suggest this school to everyone

Burkburnett High School 4

Posted October 02, 2007
- a former student
The quality of the education at Burk High is exceptional. However, I do agree with the comment that the counselors do not connect with the students. I am a former Burk High School student who went on to college and graduate school. I do not remember ever talking with the school counselor and was never approached by one to discuss my future. I learned a lot of things the hard way. I feel that if I had the benefit of a career counselor I could have accomplished my goals in a shorter time frame. I think that Burk High is an excellent school and would recommend it to any parent with the caveat that their child take the initiative to make an appointment with a career counselor and make them assist you.

Posted March 21, 2007

Burkburnett High School 5

Posted January 03, 2007
I read the comment about placing your disabled child in another school district - and I don't agree! Burkburnett High School is considered a 'compassionate school' by the military, and if I am correct, there are only two of those in the nation. That means that the school district has met certain requirements to work with children with disabilities. I have found the school to be very student-centered and caring. I have had several children go through the school system at all levels. I would rate this school as the best of the five school districts we have been associated with through the years.

Burkburnett High School 2

Posted September 27, 2006
If your son/daughter has any sort of mental or educational disabilities I would highly recommend finding another district.

Posted June 05, 2006

Posted June 05, 2006
- a former student
The academic programs do not compare to Wichita Falls City schools it is a nice clean school, the counselors do not connect with the children as they do in the city schools which is surprising due to the size of the school many teachers have been there a long time, so for too long they need fresh insight as with the sports programs

Burkburnett High School
109 West Kramer Road, Burkburnett, TX  76354
Last modified Burkburnett High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Burkburnett High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top