Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My daughter is new to Hughes Middle School this year, and so far it has been a great experience. The school has a new principal who seems to care about the atmosphere of the school. He wants students, teachers and parents to enjoy Hughes. While the building might be old, the spirit of the school is energetic and engaging.

My son attended 6th grade at Hughes during the 2015-2016 school year. I knew it was going to be a bad experience based on Meet the Teacher Night alone. Office Staff, Administration, Counselors, Cafeteria Staff, Teachers and Coaches..... so very rude and unhelpful. Communication at the school is poor. It's frustrating to hear "I don't know" every time you ask questions. I feel like my son was not a priority to anyone. All this aside, I understand that Middle School is such a hard time for these kids, but that is even more of a reason to get staff that go the extra mile and really care about them. You find that at Hughes though. My son will be in private school for 7th and 8th grade, and my other two kids will not ever go here. If you can avoid it at all, do not go put your kids in Hughes Middle School.

Most of my daughters 8th grade teachers are horrible. The English teacher is the only exception. Most the teachers discourage questions in class and tutoring. The teachers are constantly loosing my kids assignments. My kid has to spend a lot of time proving to them that it was turned in. The teachers spend most of their time complaining about their jobs. It's not that my kid is stupid. My kid has straight As. Most of the kids have to retake all their tests because they don't try. Stay away from the school. It is horrible.

Our daughter has been at Hughes for 2 years now. We have no complaints. Middle school years are tough anywhere. They do a great job for the number of students enrolled.

I hate to say it, but Burleson ISD is gong the way of the dogs. I guess thats what does happen when the old superintendent is more concerned with the nurses than the job. This new guy seems OK, but where's the changes? Purge these awful principals the schools were saddled with the last few years! Nobody is happy. We go to the other middle school for sports on the weekend, and it's just as crummy as Hughes is, which is expected since we all went to high school there! School districts around us have technology for every kid, and we go hire more deputy superintendents at 6-figure salaries, and pretty girls for communication jobs. And the teachers are leaving here! I think they are punishing people for voting down the corrupt bond issue. Besides LeFreak, and the burglar being caught, that's all we talked about the other night, something stinks in BISD, and it ain't the kids!

I wish I had never put my child in this school. Bad administration, poor teachers, enviro men is horrible.....will not be there next yr. they punish everyone on for the actions of a few....over the basic needs of life!!!! One thing is restroom breaks....my child stopped drinking water, because they would not let her go to the bathroom....she ended up w/ health issues. The school should be sued!!!! The worst principle I have ever seen....no caring bone in her body!!!!

HMS is not that great a school. My son left Frazier Elementary loving school and not wanting to miss any. Within a month of starting Frazier, he said the kids were treated like prisoners in a jail. He got to the point it was a fight to get him up for school and he seemed to always be sick (legitimately). Speaking with other parents while my son attended this school, our experiences dont seem to be unique. I think part of the problem is that Burleson has invested in many large, new elementary schools and added a large new High School while still using the two middle schools. This contributes to overcrowding.

This school year is just getting started but maybe we should try harder at helping the 6th's graders around so they wont be lost but everyone knows how that goes lmfao

I moved here from Florida last year and enrolled my 6th grader and truly wish I considered a different school. This school is horrible.There's bullying and the teachers say it's just teasing that the children have to learn to deal with other children. The front office staff is very rude and unhelpful.walked in one day and overheard a parent talking on the phone with front desk personnel asking for information and the lady at the front was very rude and unhelpful she kept saying I don't know and dismissing her questions instead of saying I don't know but I can find out for you. The attendance clerk is lacking people skills.Its a shame because if their treating parents with no regard imagine our children.

Pitiful. No communication. Dangerous. Uncaring staff. Don't expect any teacher, principal, or counselor initiated contact.

Last modified Hughes Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.