Nick Kerr Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1220 students

Posted June 23, 2014

Kerr isn't what these reviews make it seem to be. It is suspicious that all the "positive" reviews happen on the same days. Frankly, our kids are spoiled and lucky that they are going to these schools, but our middle schools are terrible. They are both ancient buildings with crowded, uncomfortable classrooms and faulty equipment, and Kerr has overly controlling principals who the teachers hate to work for and it shows. The kids in middle school are so confused and full of hormones that we dont really see the amount of damage done with this neglect of their school. We need teachers who want to be there at Kerr, not the remnants of people who can't get jobs in better districts or have lived here forever and don't want to move. Kerr used to have teachers who taught and principals who got out of the way and let them. Now all you hear are the teachers talking about how they can't wait for the new superintendent to do some changes in leaderships and buildings. And while I am on this soapbox, parents need to realize that they are hurting the students as much as the school by not getting involved every single day. Only then will we see needed changes at Kerr. Thank you.

Posted June 14, 2014

My child attended for a year. Liked the school, had a problem with upper level teacher's attitude towards my child and other students. Raised my concerns to principle. Asked that I remain annonymous. Principle gave information to teachers!! Had no idea until I found out. The principle said I should be rest assured that my child will not get singled out. Not happy with this. Overall, the school is okay. Very old. Don't trust anyone.

Posted June 13, 2014

I hate kerr for the best ela teachur gets fierd and wont go to 8th like they said.& that old lady in the learning lab is mean to us when i have to go there so I dont go there &my mom gets mad but they keep her there to yell at us.the principle is not really nice he is fake like my mom says but he think s that nobody knows it. the rooms smell & i hate the desks. They made lots of new schools but not kerr its old and bad. And I dont ever like the principel for the best teaher going away she says I cant put his name & it wont show up here but we kids know who he is and we hate kerr now forever!!!!!

Posted June 13, 2014

I don't normally comment publicly about my child's schools, but I felt compelled to do so this year. My child has flourished this school year. He now enjoys school. He loved his classes and made several good friends. Keep up the good work Kerr!!!!

Posted June 13, 2014

Kerr is a great school and we are happy to have our children attend this awesome school. I had to mark the teacher quality down a star because of an incident that happened with one teacher. He said a lot of inappropriate stuff in class to the students. The kids really like him, but he shouldn't talk to students like a peer. He needs to act like an adult.

Posted June 13, 2014

Kerr MS is a great school. My children love attending the school. They have great teachers, great students, great administrators, and involved parents.

Posted June 13, 2014

This place is the talk now in town. This school is faked, one of the worst!!! There is a lot of bullying that they seem to not see?? There is way to many chances on the work, no responsibility and the principles cave in to the loud parents and lean on teachers to pass kids when they shouldnt. They are in dress code to hide the fact that this is really a ghetto kind of school. They have had drugs and drinking there lately and everyoe knows. The teachers mess around with each other and everyone finds out. I have been here a long time, and three of mine are now gone from Kerr and two in the new school which is nice. They talk about information that is not public information some is even on this cite and that will be interesting to point out to the school board members since they know and listen to us. I am worried about my neice who is going to go there next year and then a nephew the next. My sister wants to teach them in home school after what we heard last weekend. The Burleson parents are not happy with Kerr, but people are blind to how things are since they are from terrible city schools, and things need to change or we will end up like Everman or Crowley.

Posted June 13, 2014

This has been a hoot to read. Everyone who really lives here knows Kerr is going downhill. They only care about the scores from the big tests. The teachers are usually OK, but with crowded classes, the kids from Fort Worth and no support from the administration, it's no wonder so many leave. The excuse of only the best ones are leaving is hilarious! Think about that a moment.

Posted June 13, 2014

Bad all around atmosphere for kids. No kids should cry on the night schools out. I've never seen that in my life. We'll homeschool for the next two years until my daughter goes to Centennial.

Posted June 13, 2014

Good, God-fearing kids. I question the main staff. Too many teachers won't talk about it openly. Nobody trusts the principal is most of what we hear. They say he wont be here long anyway. I too heard about the teachers being immoral and the office letting that information out. What does that mean they say about kids with problems like that at home?

Posted June 13, 2014

I just want to rate since I have nothing good to say about the school anymore.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 10, 2014

I have had the good fortune of having kids at Kerr for the past few years. It is a terrific school, and my kids have done very well. There is a group of parents that are horrible and bad mouth Kerr whenever they get an opportunity. The principals are great and go out of their way to help all children. The teachers are excellent. Sometimes they don't communicate very well, but they love our kids and work very hard. A lot of the teachers that are leaving, are doing so either because they are being encouraged to leave or they can earn more money in other districts.

Posted June 7, 2014

My family has been in and out of Kerr for years. It has had its ups and downs, but last night in town was sad hearing some teachers and my friends with kids staying at Kerr (mine is leaving to the new HS) talk about the ones that the administration ran off and fired this year. I think if you move here you should go to the other side of the highway so you won't go here. All they concern themselves with are the tests they take and sports. The teachers are leaving every year to go somewhere they pay better. One boy was in tears and refuses to ever go back because he said he hates them now. And another child of my neighbor said she just filled in circles on her final tests because she didnt care anymore since her favorite teacher won't move up with her. I never trusted the prinicpals there, but from what I heard last night the new ones are the worst bunch ever for teachers and kids both. These kids are 12, 13, 14, it should be exciting and enjoyable to learn, not sad, depressing and scary! No kid should ever cry about the school doing things that hurt them inside. I heard mostly good things about the new high school, but they can't keep teachers either.

Posted June 7, 2014

To the person that just posted below me. Kerr goes above and beyond for its staff and students. No one has been run off my administration. If any one has left its because they are great teachers that can get higher pay else where. Teachers don't teach to the test, the teach the material. They have PLC meetings weekly on how to better teach the material to the kids. If a kid is filling in answers because they refuse to take the test because the teacher cant move up with the student is on the parent. Most teachers can't move up with the kids. This school is all about the kids. It would be a shame to move them across town.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 16, 2014

We have had a great experience at Kerr. Our son has special needs and they have been incredibly helpful and supportive. We feel that our son is getting an excellent education. We are lucky to be apart of the Cougar Nation.

Posted May 16, 2014

My daughter was inducted into the Nick Kerr Middle School National Junior Honor Society. We are so proud of her hard work. She has earned this great honor. Her teachers at Kerr (especially the PreAP) have been awesome. The principal is so supportive and active. The students know who he is. His speech was terrific. Kerr is awesome!

Posted May 15, 2014

God forbid you have a child with disabilities or learning dificulties! Getting the school to approve a 504 plan is like taking their first born! District lacks educating their ENTIRE staf on the LAW , No child left behind!!!! The office staff principals etc are very biased on who they will protect, or basically bully those individuals that they wish to without repurcussions. District needs to better their upper staff. I guess things will change one day when a parent eventually files a lawsuit.

Posted March 24, 2014

I have an 8th grader, and this is our 6th year at Kerr MS (I have an older daughter at Centennial. 6 years ago it was rough at Kerr. We weren't sure there even was a principal. The Assistant Principals seemed focus on "pounding" kids into submission. Now, we know the principal and see him all over the place. The teachers communicate better. The new teachers are top notch, and some of the bad teachers have gone. I can actually say we will miss Kerr!

Posted January 24, 2014

My son has had a great experience at Kerr Middle School. The teachers have been very good about communicating with parents so we know what is going on.

Posted November 7, 2013

Kerr Middle School is terrific! My daughter loves it. She came home raving about the pep rally. The teachers seem to really care about how she does. I finally know what is going on in her classes on a daily basis.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

386 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

387 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

413 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

406 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

406 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

371 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

372 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

370 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

368 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students83%

Limited English proficient (LEP)60%
Proficient in English98%
Non-migrant98%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

398 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

399 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

368 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

367 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

385 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

409 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

386 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

384 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students78%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 15%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Security personnel
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (817) 447-5742

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Security personnel