Jose High Damian Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 648 students

Living in Canutillo

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $168,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $580.

Posted February 10, 2014

We recently moved both of our children from private schools into Jose Damian and we are very happy with our decision. Our children love their teachers and classmates. They are being challenged academically on a daily basis. The PTO has many activities and even hosts an after school sports day for the children every Friday. The teachers, principal, vice principal and all staff members are all very willing to help us as we acclimate to our new school midway through the school year. Jose Damian is an excellent school and deserves 5 stars.

Posted June 10, 2013

This school is AWFUL! Our kids have lost academic ground since attending this school. The Admin is unfriendly, there is no parental or community atmosphere, and the kids are MEAN!!! We are so disappointed in this school that we are considering homeschooling. My kids have been bullied, had problems with a BAD teacher, and their academics are awful at this school. I do not believe this is an exemplary school. I believe this school cheats to boast such numbers. Terrible!!! I cannot wait to be done with this school.

Posted August 1, 2012

I'm an ex-student of Jose Damian back when it went up to 6th grade! I'm now 18 years old, and I am so grateful to my time there. The teachers were excellent and often went above and beyond to help me out. I have chronic asthma and was often hospitalized, but they never left me out of classes and sent all my homework as well as notes for my parents to help me catch up. The school also offered GT classes as well as after school clubs. I personally did not like GT because it isolated us, but it might have improved since my leave. I do not recommend the bilingual classes because they are often a year behind the English-only classes. I was in all English and I noticed this from my friends who were in these classes. My Principal was different from the current one, but my old principal was excellent. In 6th grade I had a horrible principal though, who forced us to line up at lunch and eat separated from our friends. We had to be quiet in the cafeteria! We were also not let outside until we ate everything on our plates. I'm happy to know she was fired though. All in all my experience there was excellent!

Posted March 8, 2012

great school teachers are always willing to help out their students, parents are always welcomed to help organize events

Posted November 29, 2011

My son transferred to Damian from a private Montessori school. He was very behind in reading and we decided to move him back a year to Kinder. In under 2 months, my son was reading almost to grade level and now he is reading in both English and Spanish, not even a semester through. The teachers here are excellent as is the faculty, staff, and the principal is wonderful. We are so happy with Damian Elementary.

Posted June 21, 2011

We moved from New England and was very concerned from my son starting in a new school in the middle of the school year. However, to my surprise, Mrs. Garcia and Mrs. Grant are a great people to work and my son loves going to school. This school is exemplary in the district! Great Job Teachers and Principal and not forgetting the Volunteers and Staff.

Posted January 28, 2010

Our daughter has been attending JDE since pre-k. She is now in the 1st grade and I am very proud to say that she is doing extremely well. We have never encountered any problems and she is excelling very well in every subject. Her teacher does involve the parents in homework, which I think is fantastic. Parent involvement goes a long way when it comes to your child's education. We will continue to send our daughter to JDE.

Posted June 23, 2009

the school is great my daugther loves to go

Posted July 16, 2008

My child loves going to school at J.Damian! Teachers & staff are great!

Posted May 26, 2008

As a parent, I have to say this school is below average. My child has been bullied and even injured yet the staff did nothing about it. I looking into transfering my child next year.

Posted November 16, 2007

This school is a great school. I have two children there and I have never had a problem. The teachers are great and are always available when needed and go beyond to help each student's needs.

Posted September 14, 2007

For a Recognized School - We were very disappointed. After our 1st year experience, our children are happy attending a nearby Charter School instead. We had many issues. A few were with academics. [Children from] my child's 3rd grade class failed the Math TASK and were not required to be re-tested by CISD. Academics should not only be based on the TASK - that should be the minimal requirements and schools should teach above that so children are at an equal level nationally because those that move to other states are below grade level. Another issue was field trips - school needs to stay within the curriculum when it comes to making a choice for field trips.

Posted September 11, 2007

I have had 2 sons at Jose Damian and have been very satisfied with the school. My older son went to middle school this year, but was very well prepared academically. He has always excelled on his TAKS test, being commended on all of them. I feel the teachers at Jose Damian really help prepare the kids. My younger son is in the 3rd grade and it will be his first year for the TAKS test. However, I feel very confident that he too will be ready. The school has quality academics and is a very nice learning environment. However, I would like to see more sports and extracurricular activities. Also, I feel there is not a lot of parent involvement. There doesn't seem to be an active PTA.

Posted April 18, 2006

The academic programs offered at Damian Elementary are exemplary. Their GT (Gifted and Talented) program is outstanding, producing well-rounded students!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

56 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

56 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

54 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

54 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

52 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

61 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

60 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

61 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students95%

Not special education98%
Limited English proficient (LEP)83%
Non-migrant93%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students82%

Non-migrant84%
Non-Gifted83%
Bilingual84%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

American Indian/Alaska Native N/A 0%

• SANDRA VALDEZ
Fax number
  • (915) 877-6819

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

P O Box 100