Jerry R Junkins Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 750 students

Posted July 31, 2008

my child was in second grade last year. We were a bit nervous as the teacher was very strict. We also had issues when they put 30+students in her class, but we had no need to worry. My child learned so much and we came to appreciate her style of teaching. My daughter keeps begging to go back to her class this year. I do hope that the school will be less crowded. The office was always helpfull. I never had any problems with the principal either!

Posted July 25, 2008

My principal sure never looked liked this one when I was in school! I might have acted better if she did! She is running a great program and the teachers are effecient. They were overcrowded and seemed to keep everything under control. We heard there is a new musical next year which my son lived for. The parking is a nightmare at events, but we are thrilled that this school is in our neighborhood. Keep up the good work principal and staff.

Posted July 25, 2008

We cannot wait for the school year to start. We are excited about the new PTA and hope the new president is more professional becasue we would like to be more active, but the last one was uninviting and rude. The yard needs to be trimmed more, but the calsses are good and our kids love the principal and their teachers.

Posted June 13, 2008

We loved sending our son to this school. The teachers are great in 5th grade, and the administration gave the 5th graders a nice awards ceremony. The campus is professional and organized. The leadership is impressive. Keep up the excellent work for kids at Junkins!

Posted March 26, 2008

We are very happy with the kind of attention and love that our child's teacher provides him. This school ensures enough variety in the curriculum and our child is always looking forward to activities at school. The dedication of the staff and principal is exemplary. In all, a great school.

Posted February 4, 2008

Great School, ladies at front office and the nurse are very nice. If you want to talk to the principal you just have to set up an appointment with the office manager. Some Teachers are alway abset but in general they are really good.

Posted November 13, 2007

As the saying goes.. you cannot please everybody.The principal is so visible in school, she is always there. But I have this impression of her that she is unapproachable, a she is always in a hurry. To summarize, I like the school and with the big number of student they have, they still maintain to discipline the kids.

Posted November 12, 2007

It sounds like personal concerns that you are unjustly forwarding on public blog. I seriously doubt the principal does not return calls as I have worked at the school and know for a fact that she has a policy to return all calls the same day. She has also made her e-mail public! It is posted right on the site. She is also at every meeting and stays behind to chat. I also have a child in the fourth grade and only know of one teacher that has little experience. In fact at first we were concerned the classes were to hard. She is doing well and I believe she will be prepared. I have never heard anyone yell in the halls and I am there almost everyday because I vol in the kinder classes. There are to many children here, but I am very proud that my children attend here.

Posted November 6, 2007

This is the second year my child has attended this school. I am happy about the extra curriculum like music, theater arts, art etc. my child always loves going to 'specials'! However after attending a couple of school functions I have been disappointed in the way the office staff and principal handle parents and children. I think they can be more open, pleasant and professional. Also since my last posting I have witnessed teachers yelling and disciplining children in the hallway. It made me grimace. This being the third school my child has been in, this is the first time I've witnessed this. I might have to take back my words from a previous posting. But hopefully by the end of this year something will improve. If not we might look into a school else where.

Posted November 5, 2007

After reading the reviews of others opinion, I was suprised but realize some of us have higher standards of what schools should be. I cant speak for all the grades but I will express my opinion on the 4th grade classes. [My child's] teachers are terrible, they yell, and are very mean to the children. They have very minium teaching experience. There commincation skills with parents is sad, they should really pick a different profession. As far as the principal I have left over 7 messages for her about concerns I had that the teachers were not educated enough to handle, unfortunately I have not rec'd one phone call back from her yet. My sugestion of the school is to stay as far away from this school as possible.

Posted October 12, 2007

Very diverse poplulation. Well kept, excellent instruction, dedicated teachers and administrators. Great events and programs. We love the time period/train theme and are excited for programs to begin earlier this year. Our son was in the science class after school and could not wait to go.

Posted October 10, 2007

Crowded, but great. We are amazed at the job this faculty does. You would not know they are overcrowed except places like in the morning or the cafeteria. All offices have students in trouble. We would expect that with this many kids. The instruction is top notch here. Our students will be ready for middle school. We really like the gradebook and science in the classes. Principal has returned everyone of my calls. We like the new AP also.

Posted October 10, 2007

I agree. I would hardly call this school disorganized. The children are quiet in the hallways, walking in lines, have on uniforms, and there is a system for everything. I feel very safe leaving my child there. We really like the atmosphere here. It may be crowded, but we appreciate the hard work this faculty puts in. Their dedication is very evident. The principal is very open and friendly and I am sure if you are having a problem with a class she would help. My son cant wait for the 30th! Great school, but we hope the boundaries are redrawn soon.

Posted October 8, 2007

This is a very disorganized school. The office is crowded in the mornings with parents and students in trouble from the busses. Too many children, not enough space, Principal will not return phone calls to address complaints, disciplinary action from Asst. Principal is inconsistent from incident to identical incident. Security is bad. Anyone can walk in this school from the front door and get in. My child is dyslexic and the dyslexia program has not started with no indication of when it will begin.

Posted October 7, 2007

We think Ms. Walker and her staff do a great job and have recommended this school to our friends. We finally have a neighborhood school. The reading night and technology night are the best. All the teachers dress up for our children now that's dedication. We love Annie this year and Mr. Jones.

Posted October 7, 2007

I also have to disagree with these negative comments. These teachers and staff go to work every day with the purpose of educating and protecting our children. They come to work every day and interact with children that have parents that are uninvolved or invisible and expect the school to raise their child. They are really called to be there.

Posted October 7, 2007

I am a grandmother and I work lunches at the school and I help in my grandchild's classroom a few hours a week. i am all over the building and I have never heard a teacher yell at a child. Mrs. Walker would not allow this anyway. I also hear her and the assistant principle deal with discipline. They are kind fair and follow the rules. I think there are over 850 students at Junkins. I think the administration does a great job with this many students, parents, teachers, and other workers in a small space. Our last school was around for over 30 years and was not as organized as Junkins. If you are looking for a samll school this is not it. The play areas are small and we heard the new TAG teacher might not have her own classroom because all the rooms are full. Terrific school though!

Posted October 7, 2007

If you want to talk to Mrs. Walker all you have to do is schedule an appointment. I had a concern about parents dropping their children on Marsh and Running Duke. I made an appointment with Ms. Lopez and Ms. Walker saw me first thing the next morning. Just schedule an appointment. Last year she did not have an assistant principal and we are glad they let her hire one this year. We think the problem at this school is the parents. Traffic is bad because parents do not follow the rules. If you do not like the traffic then let your child ride the bus. We have not gone through the traffic in two weeks we just pick her up at the stop. Our child's teacher is demanding, but we like this. We want our children to be challenged. We also like the technology used in the class.

Posted October 7, 2007

Our wonderful school is getting knocked because it is decorate nice?? This is crazy. Do you want your child to go to a dump everyday/ We live in the neighborhood and know for a fact the long hours and summer hours this staff puts in. They spend their personal time making our school look good. The instruction is some of the most challenging we have seen and for a one year old school they are doing amazing things. When we go to meetings and events we cannot believe the amount of staff participation. At our last school we never even saw a teacher after school. Check out the new gradebook. There are a ton of ways to communicate with this school. If you are not happy with the teacher just talk to them. That is what adults do.

Posted October 6, 2007

This school is poorly run. Confusion, mean children and lacking staff are the cause. Beware parents! This is a Dallas ISD school, not Carrollton Farmers Branch. Don't buy houses in it's zone.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

73 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

94 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

102 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

120 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

102 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

61 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

72 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

57 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students96%

Not special education95%
Proficient in English92%
Not migrant93%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students90%

Not migrant77%
Not Gifted73%
Bilingual80%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 7% 4%

• ROBBY WILSON
Fax number
  • (972) 502-2401

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2808 Running Duke Drive