Carrollton, TX

Mccoy Elementary School 1

Posted December 27, 2014
My daughter attended McCoy for a few years and, suffice it to say, we had a number of issues with the staff, a few teachers, and the principal, Mrs. Rink, who actually reminds me of a predatory reptile. Though my daughter is incredibly intelligent and was bored in her normal classes (and thus acted out), they refused to move her to ACE, then LEAP, until she underwent evaluation for ADHD. Like many public schools, the staff at McCoy just want children to fall into line and become good little productive worker bees, content to churn out worksheet upon worksheet.
4 people found this helpful

Posted September 11, 2012
GREAT elementary. We started our kids here and were sad to move. The principal is energetic and really motivates her teachers. The GT program is truly a GT program, not just a name. I feel like my son got the best start to his school expereince by attending this school Sad to leave. :(

Mccoy Elementary School 4

Posted August 18, 2012
Leap program emphasis is on volume of work along with quality. The social needs of students are not met. Teachers and principal do not seem to address this.

Posted June 21, 2011
My 8 year daughter just completed her 3rd year at McCoy elementary. She has been in ACE (excelerated learning program) since kindergarten. She has attended her regular classes and received addtional class work to keep her motivated and involved. The teachers have managed to provide customized teaching for my daughter along with the other 15-20 kids she has attended each grade with. The school has an amazingly involved PTA and teacher base. I highly recommend it!

Mccoy Elementary School

Posted February 20, 2010
I am a mother of six years old daughter. I have to say her teacher is great .All the staff are helpful. Teacher Quality is above.

Posted May 27, 2008
Great attention to detail by teachers and administrators. We are very pleased by the overall PTA involvement. The emphasis of blending classroom education with Field Trips provides for a good overall education.

Mccoy Elementary School 3

Posted May 08, 2008
The LEAP program in this school is unique in the state in that it caters to children who are highly gifted. ACE ( in regular classrooms in other schoolsi n the district) caters to gifted children. The Principal at the school is relatively new, quite young and seemingly inexperienced in dealing with children and parents. The school seems very performance driven and pressure to perform is very high - especially on the kids in LEAP. The PTA is very active and does a lot for the school. Emotional needs (often an issue for highly gifted kids) do not get the support they need and efforts instead are focused on documented performance. In short, the LEAP program is by no means ideal and the change in principal has not helped the school.

Posted December 11, 2007
The LEAP program is uncomparable to any other elementary school. It is unique and the students are selected after very difficult tests, tasks and interviews. I wish they had this program in a little sophisticated campus with little more comfort.

Posted January 11, 2006
Great school. My daughter is in the 1st grade LEAP program there, and she loves it. She's thriving in the environment. The school has great school spirit.

Posted June 24, 2005
The LEAP G/T program at McCoy is extraordinary. The principal and the LEAP teachers are all excellent. My daughter is doing very well at McCoy. We are very happy with the challenging work she is doing.

Mccoy Elementary School
2425 McCoy Road, Carrollton, TX  75006
Last modified Mccoy Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mccoy Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top